Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:26:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should bitcoin lower the transaction fee?
Yes immediatly - 32 (34.4%)
After transaction fee plateaus greater than 0.5c - 6 (6.5%)
After transaction fee plateaus greater than 1c - 12 (12.9%)
After transaction fee plateaus greater than 2c - 3 (3.2%)
After transaction fee plateaus greater than 5c - 5 (5.4%)
After transaction fee plateaus greater than 10c - 4 (4.3%)
After transaction fee plateaus  greater than 20c - 4 (4.3%)
After transaction fee plateaus  greater than 50c - 2 (2.2%)
After transaction fee plateaus  greater than $1.00 - 4 (4.3%)
After transaction fee plateaus greater than any of those values - 5 (5.4%)
Never - 16 (17.2%)
Total Voters: 93

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should bitcoin lower the transaction fee?  (Read 6308 times)
matthewh3 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 11:39:52 PM
Last edit: August 17, 2012, 12:08:25 AM by matthewh3

Should bitcoin lower the transaction fee  Huh

*edit: transaction fee's will be important to miners in the future and it could help condense the bloating blockchain size by having a "high" transaction fee.  But standard wallets like the default wallet-qt and blockchain.info/mywallet require a transaction fee before sending coin unless it's a larger amount of coin sent after a longer amount of in wallet idle of time.  So miners incomes and blockchain size vrs free(cheap) open micro-transactions which could help fuel adoption and growth.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 11:43:40 PM

The wording of your question implies it hasn't already been done.  The fee was lowered to its current value when Bitcoin exceeded $20 USD per BTC.   At this point there is no reason to lower the fee further.  Maybe when 1 BTC = $100 then cutting the minimum fee by 80% would make it equivalent to the prior cut.

Still the min fee is likely going to be less and less important in the future.  I already pay about 5x the min fee (still a fraction of a cent).  The min fee doubling or being cut in half wouldn't change anything for me.
matthewh3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 11:45:39 PM

The wording of your question implies it hasn't already been done.  The fee was lowered to its current value when Bitcoin exceeded $20 USD per BTC.   At this point there is no reason to lower the fee further.  Maybe when 1 BTC = $100 then cutting the minimum fee by 80% would make it equivalent to the prior cut.

Still the min fee is likely going to be less and less important in the future.  I already pay about 5x the min fee (still a fraction of a cent).  The min fee doubling or being cut in half wouldn't change anything for me.

I know the transaction fee has changed before.  Transaction fees will be very important towards miners fee's in the future.

Revalin

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 12:42:10 AM

I suggest the transaction fee should be kept as low as possible while preventing the blockchain from growing at an unreasonable rate.

Long term it may be necessary to use it to encourage mining for security, but that's not a concern until generation is much lower.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 04:04:20 AM

Transaction fees will be very important towards miners fee's in the future.

Once again.  The mandatory fee will likely be completely irrelevant in the future.  It isn't designed for revenue.  Never was, never will be.  Competition will cause users to pay a much much higher fee for fast processing than the mandatory fee (which is only designed to mark denial of service attacks prohibitively expensive).

Case in point even now satoshi dice pays a tx fee roughly 5x higher than the mandatory fee and they pay it on tx which don't even require the mandatory fee.  In the future it won't matter much if the mandatory fee is 0.0005 btc but your client advised you that to have a good chance of being include in the next 20 blocks will require a fee of 10x that. 
Gavin Andresen
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 04:23:05 AM

Before I left for vacation, I submitted a pull request that makes the default policy for miners "more fees == more likely to get into a block."  That will be in the 0.7 release (the policy before was mostly "higher priority == more likely to get into a block"), and I've been encouraging the big mining pool operators to implement something similar if they have their own transaction-selection code.

When I get back from vacation I plan on writing code to watch the transactions that do or do not make it into blocks to derive an estimate of the average miners' fee policy, and use that to recommend a reasonable fee to the user.

Those changes will let fees float naturally-- users and miners will form a market and fees will rise or fall based on what users are willing to pay and what miners are willing to accept. I don't like the arbitrary, centralized setting of fees that we've had up until now.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
zebedee
Donator

Activity: 668
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 04:26:24 AM

Before I left for vacation, I submitted a pull request that makes the default policy for miners "more fees == more likely to get into a block."  That will be in the 0.7 release (the policy before was mostly "higher priority == more likely to get into a block"), and I've been encouraging the big mining pool operators to implement something similar if they have their own transaction-selection code.

When I get back from vacation I plan on writing code to watch the transactions that do or do not make it into blocks to derive an estimate of the average miners' fee policy, and use that to recommend a reasonable fee to the user.

Those changes will let fees float naturally-- users and miners will form a market and fees will rise or fall based on what users are willing to pay and what miners are willing to accept. I don't like the arbitrary, centralized setting of fees that we've had up until now.

Agreed, clearly that is the only long-term viable solution.  Market-set fees was not an alternative in the "poll" sadly.
matthewh3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 02:26:41 PM

Transaction fees will be very important towards miners fee's in the future.

Once again.  The mandatory fee will likely be completely irrelevant in the future.  It isn't designed for revenue.  Never was, never will be.  Competition will cause users to pay a much much higher fee for fast processing than the mandatory fee (which is only designed to mark denial of service attacks prohibitively expensive).

Case in point even now satoshi dice pays a tx fee roughly 5x higher than the mandatory fee and they pay it on tx which don't even require the mandatory fee.  In the future it won't matter much if the mandatory fee is 0.0005 btc but your client advised you that to have a good chance of being include in the next 20 blocks will require a fee of 10x that. 

I use blockchain.info/MyWallet to send amounts down to just BTC1.00 that I have often only just received so have to pay the recommended "default" BTC0.0005 like satoshi dice.  So once btc/usd>$100 that's $0.05 on even a $1 transaction or 5% fee.  I understand the need to stop blockchain spam but wouldn't having the lowest fees possible help the adoption of bitcoin by people transacting sub $1.00 amounts often as btc value rises. 

Sounds interesting.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 02:35:40 PM

I use blockchain.info/MyWallet to send amounts down to just BTC1.00 that I have often only just received so have to pay the recommended "default" BTC0.0005 like satoshi dice.  So once btc/usd>$100 that's $0.05 on even a $1 transaction or 5% fee.  I understand the need to stop blockchain spam but wouldn't having the lowest fees possible help the adoption of bitcoin by people transacting sub $1.00 amounts often as btc value rises.  

Last time before I give up forever.  As I pointed out the mandatory fee (which isn't required on all tx just low priority ones) was lowered to the current 0.0005 when BTC was $20.  Considering lowering it to 0.0001 when BTC is sustainably >$100 probably makes sense.  That keeps the fee below 1 US cent.

However the point you seem to be missing (over and over and over across multiple threads) is that the mandatory fee doesn't determine the actual fee.  

1) Mandatory fee is only required on low priority transactions.  Simply wait long enough and you could pay 0 BTC on your $1USD equivelent tx.  Tada.  The mandatory fee being 0.0005 or 0.0001 doesn't really matter if you don't pay it.

2) Users are paying fees HIGHER than the mandatory fee.  Gavin change suggested above will only accelerate that.  Transaction volume increasing will only accelerate that.  There is finite space in a block and tx processing does require some amount of real cost.  It is entirely possible the mandatory fee could be cut to a single satoshi or removed completely and you STILL would have to pay a much larger fee simply due to competition (or wait days or weeks for your free tx to finally get processed).
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 02:39:32 PM

Nice.  I am pretty sure at least some pools prioritize based on fee using custom code.  In analyzing DeepBit blocks I am fairly certain they are doing some prioritization other than pure priority.  It will be good to have it in the reference client though.  That gives all miners and pools the ability to do similar prioritization without a lot of reinventing the wheel.

However correct me if I am wrong even if when your pull is integrated in future versions the mandatory fee on low priority tx will remain.  Right?  It exist to prevent denial of service or spam attacks.  A fee market place won't negate that (at least not for a while). 
matthewh3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 11:44:26 PM
Last edit: August 17, 2012, 11:55:47 PM by matthewh3

I use blockchain.info/MyWallet to send amounts down to just BTC1.00 that I have often only just received so have to pay the recommended "default" BTC0.0005 like satoshi dice.  So once btc/usd>$100 that's $0.05 on even a $1 transaction or 5% fee.  I understand the need to stop blockchain spam but wouldn't having the lowest fees possible help the adoption of bitcoin by people transacting sub $1.00 amounts often as btc value rises.  

Last time before I give up forever.  As I pointed out the mandatory fee (which isn't required on all tx just low priority ones) was lowered to the current 0.0005 when BTC was $20.  Considering lowering it to 0.0001 when BTC is sustainably >$100 probably makes sense.  That keeps the fee below 1 US cent.

However the point you seem to be missing (over and over and over across multiple threads) is that the mandatory fee doesn't determine the actual fee.  

1) Mandatory fee is only required on low priority transactions.  Simply wait long enough and you could pay 0 BTC on your $1USD equivelent tx.  Tada.  The mandatory fee being 0.0005 or 0.0001 doesn't really matter if you don't pay it.

2) Users are paying fees HIGHER than the mandatory fee. Gavin change suggested above will only accelerate that.  Transaction volume increasing will only accelerate that.  There is finite space in a block and tx processing does require some amount of real cost.  It is entirely possible the mandatory fee could be cut to a single satoshi or removed completely and you STILL would have to pay a much larger fee simply due to competition (or wait days or weeks for your free tx to finally get processed).

Low priority = small amount sent quickly after receiving | Yes ? Not everyone has or will have a large amount of coins sitting idle long enough like you.

mandatory fee doesn't determine the actual fee = It is for MyWallet and the default setting in Wallet-qt needing changing for every transaction after it has failed after hours of waiting.

So much for bitcoin selling its self for free and instant transactions?

Not everyone is an early adopter with high vale wallets like yourself who can afford to pay.  Most new users to bitcoin will only have fractional bitcoin wallets and wanting to send them often after just having received i.e "low priority transactions".  

OK if I have just received BTC0.01 or even BTC0.0010 how long do I have to wait to send it for free?  Then bitcoin is not a quick payment method.  Once BTC=$100 BTC0.01=$1.00 not really a micro transaction.

High bitcoin Tx fees may be suitable for you with your large transactions or with coins you've had sat idle for a long time to enable a micro-Tx but it'd be better for bitcoin to be able to operate as a micro as well as a macro currency for everyone not just the people with large idle balances.

Yes I understand the bitcoin blockchain is bloating and also that you usually make large transactions or have a large balance sat around long enough to enable you to make free speedy micro-transactions but that's the only new thing your telling me.  Billions of people live on less than a dollar a day.  Yet mobile phone proliferation is growing in that demographic.  Hence possible bitcoin adoption.  

Users are paying fees HIGHER than the mandatory fee. Gavin change suggested above will only accelerate that - I'd rather have bitcoins market capitalisation made up of billions of sub dollar accounts then just leave it to the early adopters with mega-wallets and a few wealthy investors to form the the market capitalisation of the network.

I think were both looking at this idea/problem from totally different standpoints as I too feel like I'm repeating myself to you.  Yes the current model works for you and so does a higher Tx but I'm thinking of people coming at bitcoin with just change in there pocket or like $50 monthly wages in the developing world.  Not just early adopters waiting for some big investment from the wealth elite.  Maybe if bitcoin is shaped by enough people like you it won't become what I suggest.  Then the next p2p alt-coin who can sort out the blockchain bloating will.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 12:30:18 AM

So much for bitcoin selling its self for free and instant transactions?

Nobody except for you and a couple other wishful thinkers are trying to sell Bitcoin as being free of transaction costs.  Here's Gavin's take on the subject:

Bitcoin isn't suited for transactions worth less than about one US penny-- it wasn't designed or intended for lots of micro-transactions.

That said, building a micro-transaction system on top of bitcoin is certainly possibly (see witcoin or youtipit for some examples-- or see the way the Bitcoin Faucet is handling payments recently, bundling up lots of small transactions to send them without paying outrageous fees).

Maybe if bitcoin is shaped by enough people like you it won't become what I suggest.  Then the next p2p alt-coin who can sort out the blockchain bloating will.

Proof-of-work alt coins all have the same problem as bitcoin -- computing costs, communications costs and storage costs make it impossible to provide free transactions.   Bitcoin is very low cost compared to all existing payment network alternatives.  Providing an EWallet or using EWallet services can provide options to make it operate with even less expense.  Open Transactions can provide this benefit as well.