Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:42:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: US Presidential Candidate Rand Paul to Appear at Bitcoin Event  (Read 1357 times)
Coinbuddy (OP)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 11:47:28 AM

Kentucky Senator and Republican presidential candidate Rand Paul is set to appear at a digital currency-focused event in New York City this weekend.

To be held on 19th April at the private venue Union League Club, the event will be hosted by Blockchain Technologies Corp, a startup incubator associated with Bitcoin Center NYC.

Paul made headlines earlier this month when he became the first presidential candidate in the 2016 race to begin accepting bitcoin donations. The announcement sparked debate among commentators divided as to whether Paul stands to gain from embracing digital currency or if other candidates would follow his lead to accept bitcoin donations.

source: http://www.coindesk.com/rand-paul-new-york-bitcoin-event/
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 11:57:24 AM

BTCitcoin starting to join the politics Grin
It's a good idea to accepting BTCitcoin donation, because I believe that anything that accepting BTCitcoin will be easly to being accepted especially to BTCitcoin users.

faucet used to be profitable
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3934
Merit: 1405

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 12:06:40 PM

Is he a libertarian or just desperate for votes?

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 01:24:30 PM

Is he a libertarian or just desperate for votes?

It's consistent with his libertarian ethos. He's astutely avoided marginalizing himself politically, while still being the closest thing to a full-fledged libertarian in the 2016 field. It will be interesting to see how the primaries go. I'm hoping enough Republicans have learned the futility of nominating losers like McCain/Dole/Romney. Leave the corporate welfare to Hillary along with all the other sordid welfare-slave programs, and pick someone who stands for liberty again.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
acquafredda
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1481

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 01:28:03 PM

So he is Ron Paul's son.
I'm not from the USA.
But accepting BTC for the Presidential Campaign it seemes a big thing to me.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 01:49:17 PM

So he is Ron Paul's son.
I'm not from the USA.

Yes, Ron Paul is his father. He agrees with most of the things the radicals on this forum believe in. He is very much his fathers son which, unfortunately, means he has little to no chance of winning his parties nomination for president.

1. Rand Paul is More Compromising and Pragmatic
Ron Paul often won acclaim for never voting for a tax increase or for any bill not specifically authorized by the Constitution. Rand Paul has indicated an interest in compromising on matters from immigration reform to health care. He has also made efforts to compromise within his own party by working with AIPAC and allowing some foreign aid to countries considered pro-American.

For our country’s sake, certainly for our soldiers’ sake, America’s mission should always be to keep the peace not police the world #VFW

2. Statewide Elections – Rand Paul Has More Appeal Across an Entire State
In his first race, Rand Paul won the primary and general elections by 23 and 12 points, respectively, and has already won more statewide elections than his father. The only time Ron Paul ever won a popular vote was the US Virgin Islands caucus in 2012.

3. Party Politics
Rand Paul endorsed Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney in 2012 in a sign of party loyalty and pragmatism. Ron Paul has not publicly endorsed a major party candidate candidate since Ronald Reagan. In 2008, the elder Paul, a GOP officeholder, endorsed Constitution Party candidate Chuck Baldwin for president.

4. Sanctions
The real isolationists are those who choose to use force overseas to promote democracy, rather than seek change through diplomacy, engagement, and by setting a positive example. – Ron Paul

Ron Paul has called sanctions “an act of war” and a “precursor to war.” While Rand Paul has voted for sanctions on Iran, he has fought to ensure that nothing in the language of the sanctions “shall be construed as a declaration of war or an authorization of use of force.”

5. Iran
During his campaign for Senate, Rand Paul said it was “reckless” to take “nuclear weapons off the table in certain circumstances” regarding Iran.

"I think it equally unwise to say we will never contain a nuclear Iran."
Rand Paul
He has also couched his subsequent support for sanctions by saying “a nuclear Iran would be a threat on a global scale.”
Ron Paul has said there was no evidence Iran was building a weapon with its nuclear program. The elder Paul also rhetorically asked, “Why wouldn’t Iran want a nuclear weapon” when so many of its neighbors have them. It was an indication that, although Ron Paul opposes nuclear weapons, he does not consider a nuclear Iran a threat to the US.

6. Rand Paul is More Likely to Talk About Religion

While Ron Paul has always identified himself as a Christian, he has doesn’t talk about his faith very often. He has also said activities like the Prayer Breakfast seem more about publicity than faith.

Rand Paul has spoken to numerous faith-based groups, often as a way of spreading his views about Just War. The younger Paul also expressed his antipathy to a strike on Syria by making a deliberate point about how it would affect Middle-Eastern Christians.

7. War on Drugs
Ron Paul has said the war on drugs has been a “failure” comparable to the prohibition of alcohol. He has also supported a general de-criminalization of narcotics on a federal level.

During his 2010 campaign, Rand Paul favored states rights regarding drug prohibition while also telling an evangelical Christian group in Iowa earlier this year that he “does not support the legalization of drugs like marijuana.”

More recently, the younger Paul came out against mandatory minimum sentencing for drug possession. He also called for the restoration of voting rights for felons, an important issue in the drug war.

8. Income Tax
Since at least his 2008 run for president, Ron Paul famously said that the national income tax should be “repealed and replaced with nothing.” Rand Paul as recently as this summer advocated for the “Fair Tax” with a rate of 17 percent for individuals and supports eliminating “most” of the Internal Revenue Service.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 02:38:05 PM

I hope you're right but I don't see it happening. The republicans are chomping at the bit to regain control of the White House. Old people are the largest voting block and republicans know it. I think they'll be afraid to nominate him knowing the older generation would be afraid of his radical viewpoint. Old people live on social programs at least in part. The IRS funds social programs (Social Security, Medicaid, Medicare, etc.) that the older generation needs to survive. That makes people like Rand Paul frightening to old people.

shogdite

Activity: 798

LIR Dev. www.letitride.io

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 02:41:56 PM

Not a massive fan of Rand Paul but I appreciate the legitimacy (and good PR) it gives bitcoin by him attending the event.

His stance on the war on drugs should also be applauded, not many politicians these days tell it like it is. Interesting times if he does become the next president Wink

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRideINNOVATIVE ▬▬▬
DICE GAME
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
PROVABLY
F A I R
▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
BUY  BACK
PLANS
[BTC]
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2015, 02:51:58 PM

just 2 years ago this would have been unbelievable crazy.  Cool

Cruxer

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 03:26:17 PM

Kentucky Senator and Republican presidential candidate Rand Paul is set to appear at a digital currency-focused event in New York City this weekend.

He appears to me as person, who will never win, but is this colorfull man, little weird sometimes like attending bitcoin event. It won't help him to succed in politics
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 03:40:42 PM

I hope you're right but I don't see it happening. The republicans are chomping at the bit to regain control of the White House. Old people are the largest voting block and republicans know it. I think they'll be afraid to nominate him knowing the older generation would be afraid of his radical viewpoint. Old people live on social programs at least in part. The IRS funds social programs (Social Security, Medicaid, Medicare, etc.) that the older generation needs to survive. That makes people like Rand Paul frightening to old people.
Nah they already have the old people, it's going to be the fight for the women and young voters this year. Hillary thinks she can pull women and republicans need a candidate who can pull the young voters and that just be Rand. The old people are usually already set in their ways so there is less of a battle on them.

Maybe you're right. Old people (54% of the voting public) will probably just vote the democratic ticket again. I guess it doesn't really matter who they nominate. Only 21% of young people voted. It's too bad that the people with the longest amount of time left to live in this country care the least about its direction.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 04:06:31 PM

Nah they already have the old people, it's going to be the fight for the women and young voters this year. Hillary thinks she can pull women and republicans need a candidate who can pull the young voters and that just be Rand. The old people are usually already set in their ways so there is less of a battle on them.

Maybe you're right. Old people (54% of the voting public) will probably just vote the democratic ticket again. I guess it doesn't really matter who they nominate. Only 21% of young people voted. It's too bad that the people with the longest amount of time left to live in this country care the least about its direction.
As a young person a lot of my age group either 1. Think voting won't matter or 2. Find it difficult to get registered and actually go vote.

Yep, very sad. Everyone I know votes. Most of us older people have seen votes change the world. When I was young black people had no power and were hardly seen in any professional workplace. That changed to everyone had a token black employee to comply with employment law. Now all black companies hire a few white people to be fair. lol  I know for a fact voting works.

sukamasoto
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1006

Black Panther

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 04:22:06 PM

To be held on 19th April at the private venue Union League Club, the event will be hosted by Blockchain Technologies Corp, a startup incubator associated with Bitcoin Center NYC.

Paul made headlines earlier this month when he became the first presidential candidate in the 2016 race to begin accepting bitcoin donations. The announcement sparked debate among commentators divided as to whether Paul stands to gain from embracing digital currency or if other candidates would follow his lead to accept bitcoin donations.

source: http://www.coindesk.com/rand-paul-new-york-bitcoin-event/

when this happen, bitcoin can take a roll to become more known than ever.
I'm glad that I'm know bitcoin can be trusted and reliable. It's just a matter of time

▄._      
                                       ▀█████████▀ 
                                     ,▄▓████████   
                                ╓▄▓███████████▀   
                           ╓▄▓███████▀╙.  ▀█     
                      ▄▄▓███████▀╙▄▄▄▄███         
                 ▄▄▓███████▀╙▄,  ▓███████        
           .▄▄▓██████▀▀╙▄▄▓████▌ ████████         
      .▄▄███████▀▀╙▄▄  ▐███████▌ ████████         
 .▄▄███████▀▀ ▐▄▄▓████ ▐███████▌ ████████         
╙█████▀▀▐▄▄▓  ████████ ▐███████▌ ████████        
 ╙▀ ▄▄▓█████  ████████ ▐███████▌ ████████         
    ████████  ████████ ▐███████▌ ████████         
    ████████  ████████ ▐███████▌ ████████             
fryarminer

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 09:28:16 PM

just 2 years ago this would have been unbelievable crazy.  Cool

I think it's still unbelievable crazy! Walmart doesn't accept bitcoin but a presidential candidate does?
Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036

Thug for life!

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 09:59:52 PM

Candidate Rand Paul is going to an event hosted by Blockchain Technologies Corp. It doesn't say what he is there for. I believe he is accepting bitcoin donations and attending Bitcoin events to get votes, not a real Bitcoin supporter.  Sad
What more would you ask for a presidential candidate right now?

I don't expect anything from him as a presidential candidate. As a bitcoin user, I do not want him to use bitcoin as a marketing tool, if he is not a real bitcoin supporter. If he is a bitcoin supporter, it would be nice if he saying something openly to show that.
He is going to a bitcoin event lol, I think he is someone with a chance to be president going to a bitcoin event is really awesome!

damn i would so donate to hes campaign if i had the extra btc i used to buy a pizza 3 years ago.
acquafredda
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1481

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 10:13:25 PM

So he is Ron Paul's son.
I'm not from the USA.

Yes, Ron Paul is his father. He agrees with most of the things the radicals on this forum believe in. He is very much his fathers son which, unfortunately, means he has little to no chance of winning his parties nomination for president.

1. Rand Paul is More Compromising and Pragmatic
Ron Paul often won acclaim for never voting for a tax increase or for any bill not specifically authorized by the Constitution. Rand Paul has indicated an interest in compromising on matters from immigration reform to health care. He has also made efforts to compromise within his own party by working with AIPAC and allowing some foreign aid to countries considered pro-American.

For our country’s sake, certainly for our soldiers’ sake, America’s mission should always be to keep the peace not police the world #VFW

2. Statewide Elections – Rand Paul Has More Appeal Across an Entire State
In his first race, Rand Paul won the primary and general elections by 23 and 12 points, respectively, and has already won more statewide elections than his father. The only time Ron Paul ever won a popular vote was the US Virgin Islands caucus in 2012.

3. Party Politics
Rand Paul endorsed Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney in 2012 in a sign of party loyalty and pragmatism. Ron Paul has not publicly endorsed a major party candidate candidate since Ronald Reagan. In 2008, the elder Paul, a GOP officeholder, endorsed Constitution Party candidate Chuck Baldwin for president.

4. Sanctions
The real isolationists are those who choose to use force overseas to promote democracy, rather than seek change through diplomacy, engagement, and by setting a positive example. – Ron Paul

Ron Paul has called sanctions “an act of war” and a “precursor to war.” While Rand Paul has voted for sanctions on Iran, he has fought to ensure that nothing in the language of the sanctions “shall be construed as a declaration of war or an authorization of use of force.”

5. Iran
During his campaign for Senate, Rand Paul said it was “reckless” to take “nuclear weapons off the table in certain circumstances” regarding Iran.

"I think it equally unwise to say we will never contain a nuclear Iran."
Rand Paul
He has also couched his subsequent support for sanctions by saying “a nuclear Iran would be a threat on a global scale.”
Ron Paul has said there was no evidence Iran was building a weapon with its nuclear program. The elder Paul also rhetorically asked, “Why wouldn’t Iran want a nuclear weapon” when so many of its neighbors have them. It was an indication that, although Ron Paul opposes nuclear weapons, he does not consider a nuclear Iran a threat to the US.

6. Rand Paul is More Likely to Talk About Religion

While Ron Paul has always identified himself as a Christian, he has doesn’t talk about his faith very often. He has also said activities like the Prayer Breakfast seem more about publicity than faith.

Rand Paul has spoken to numerous faith-based groups, often as a way of spreading his views about Just War. The younger Paul also expressed his antipathy to a strike on Syria by making a deliberate point about how it would affect Middle-Eastern Christians.

7. War on Drugs
Ron Paul has said the war on drugs has been a “failure” comparable to the prohibition of alcohol. He has also supported a general de-criminalization of narcotics on a federal level.

During his 2010 campaign, Rand Paul favored states rights regarding drug prohibition while also telling an evangelical Christian group in Iowa earlier this year that he “does not support the legalization of drugs like marijuana.”

More recently, the younger Paul came out against mandatory minimum sentencing for drug possession. He also called for the restoration of voting rights for felons, an important issue in the drug war.

8. Income Tax
Since at least his 2008 run for president, Ron Paul famously said that the national income tax should be “repealed and replaced with nothing.” Rand Paul as recently as this summer advocated for the “Fair Tax” with a rate of 17 percent for individuals and supports eliminating “most” of the Internal Revenue Service.

Yes, he has no chances of becoming the next US President.
But my question is how is going to be the reaction regarding the fact that he's currently accepting BTC.
Will he be seen as a "terrorism" supporter? In the mainstream media this is the first association...unfortunately:
BTC=Terrorism

Thanks for posting his program
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2015, 10:52:32 PM

I don't expect anything from him as a presidential candidate. As a bitcoin user, I do not want him to use bitcoin as a marketing tool, if he is not a real bitcoin supporter. If he is a bitcoin supporter, it would be nice if he saying something openly to show that.
He is going to a bitcoin event lol, I think he is someone with a chance to be president going to a bitcoin event is really awesome!

If he really supports bitcoin and becomes president, there are so many strings he can pull to make the U.S. more bitcoin friendly.
Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036

Thug for life!

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 02:09:12 PM

If he really supports bitcoin and becomes president, there are so many strings he can pull to make the U.S. more bitcoin friendly.

you got a point there, i think a bitcoin collective can help push a big donation into hes campaign i know he will noticed and other campaigns will if they receive a 100k usd in btc.
Synister

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 02:41:56 PM

Wow, a presidential candidate talks about bitcoin? This is very good news. I hope bitcoin will be more famous by the news of this kind
MakingMoneyHoney

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 02:43:11 PM

This should be happening tomorrow. I really hope it gets a lot of press for Bitcoin then. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: