Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:31:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012-11-13 businessinsider.com - Currencies of the Future  (Read 1991 times)
Akka (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 10:51:02 PM

Currencies of the Future

Many people complain about government control of currency, but only a few do something about it. I’m not talking about movements to “audit the Fed” and such. I’m talking about real innovation that makes an end run around the government’s iron grip on the monetary system.

A few of us old folks might like to return to the days of slapping a silver dollar on the bar for a shot of whiskey, but the younger techno-savvy generation sees paying for their Negroni cocktail with virtual currency from their hand-held device. To serve this market, a new world of virtual currencies has popped up spontaneously.

...These might be considered currency entrepreneurs. They anticipate consumer needs and demands, and as is the case with any other good or service, these entrepreneurs recognized more salable goods before the majority of people...

...So while people contend that money must be this or must be that, or come from here, or evolve from there, Menger, the father of the Austrian school, seems to leave it up to the market. When a money becomes uneconomic to use, it loses its marketability and ceases to be money. Other marketable goods emerge as money. It’s happened throughout history and likely will continue, despite government wanting to freeze the world in place to its liking.

Which brings us back to Bitcoin, what the European Central Bank (ECB) calls in its latest report “the most successful — and probably most controversial — virtual currency scheme to date.”...

Quote from:  End
Here at LFB, we don’t know what tomorrow’s money will be. Digits and computer algorithms? Silver and gold coins engraved with someone wearing a hoodie, perhaps? What we know for sure is that we’re rooting for enterprising entrepreneurs to give the government a run for their money in the money business. Watch this space.

Read the Full article (It's one of the better ones): http://www.businessinsider.com/currencies-of-the-future-2012-11

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 11:20:39 PM

Yeah it's a pretty decent one.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
lonelyminer (Peter Šurda)
Donator

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 06:42:22 PM

What is remarkable about this one is that it comes from Doug French, the former president of the Ludwig von Mises Institute, in my opinion the most important organisation for the promotion of the Austrian School of economics. Until now, people associated with the Mises Institute were reluctant to comment on Bitcoin, and in some cases were very dismissive.

Doug French did a master's thesis on "Early Speculative Bubbles And Increases in the Supply of Money", which was later expanded and published as a book (available for a free download). He described the tulip mania, the Mississippi bubble and the South Sea bubble. The thesis was done under supervision of Murray Rothbard. Also, Doug French used to be a banker. So he knows a thing or two about money.

While I'm cautious in interpreting this article as French supporting Bitcoin, he seems to recognise that it is a market phenomenon and not "only" a bubble (if I may be so bold and to guess on what he's thinking, he probably came to the conclusion that if it was only a bubble, it would have already collapsed). I commented several times on the Mises Blog in the past on posts made by Doug French, asking if the institute accepts donations in Bitcoin. Maybe in the future they'll start doing that.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 07:15:25 PM

What is remarkable about this one is that it comes from Doug French, the former president of the Ludwig von Mises Institute, in my opinion the most important organisation for the promotion of the Austrian School of economics. Until now, people associated with the Mises Institute were reluctant to comment on Bitcoin, and in some cases were very dismissive.

Doug French did a master's thesis on "Early Speculative Bubbles And Increases in the Supply of Money", which was later expanded and published as a book (available for a free download). He described the tulip mania, the Mississippi bubble and the South Sea bubble. The thesis was done under supervision of Murray Rothbard. Also, Doug French used to be a banker. So he knows a thing or two about money.

While I'm cautious in interpreting this article as French supporting Bitcoin, he seems to recognise that it is a market phenomenon and not "only" a bubble (if I may be so bold and to guess on what he's thinking, he probably came to the conclusion that if it was only a bubble, it would have already collapsed). I commented several times on the Mises Blog in the past on posts made by Doug French, asking if the institute accepts donations in Bitcoin. Maybe in the future they'll start doing that.

You may have set quite a ball rolling there Wink.

It may or may not have to do with the ECB paper, but this is the kind of thing I was hoping it would trigger: discussion and awareness among a wider audience that hasn't been seriously tapped yet.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
lonelyminer (Peter Šurda)
Donator

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 08:58:57 PM

It may or may not have to do with the ECB paper, but this is the kind of thing I was hoping it would trigger: discussion and awareness among a wider audience that hasn't been seriously tapped yet.
I hadn't realised this, but it looks like you're right, the ECB paper managed to popularise Bitcoin. Almost like the Streissand effect. Good job ECB. To paraphrase Walter Block: I used to be an anarchist, but now I think that there should be a state and have only one purpose: to force everyone to read the ECB report on Bitcoin :-)
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 10:48:54 PM
Last edit: November 14, 2012, 11:38:32 PM by molecular

You might think these people are crazy. After all, to be a proper money, a currency must have a nonmonetary value,

here we go again, the famous Regression Theorem ;>

EDIT: oops, I read on and I think I will have to revise...

allright, Peter, I read your comment here: http://lfb.org/today/currencies-of-the-future/

It's good to see your analysis in such prominent location (early comment)

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 11:11:53 PM

I hadn't realised this, but it looks like you're right, the ECB paper managed to popularise Bitcoin. Almost like the Streissand effect. Good job ECB. To paraphrase Walter Block: I used to be an anarchist, but now I think that there should be a state and have only one purpose: to force everyone to read the ECB report on Bitcoin :-)

It's very favorable that the ECB paper is quite accurate in its analysis, too, since it will be quoted a lot. It's truly a present from the enemy, at least it looks like it is at this point.

nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2012, 03:16:17 AM

It's very favorable that the ECB paper is quite accurate in its analysis, too, since it will be quoted a lot. It's truly a present from the enemy, at least it looks like it is at this point.

Never look a gift horse in the mouth. Grin

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2012, 06:10:42 AM

+1

Well written article, it reads reasonably neutral too and is from a solid source. I hope others link to it.

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 06:51:14 AM

This is big. I suggest mentioning this at every opportunity, because the LvMI is ground zero for the intellectual side of the libertarian movement. If the Austrians come around that alone would be huge, and it would open the possibility of Ron Paul endorsing Bitcoin, if such a thing can happen.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: