Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:07:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TORwallet Microtronix Webhosting Bitcoins  (Read 1374 times)
vagab (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 10:50:53 PM

Since June 2012, Torwallet has been accepting bitcoins for storage and mixing / washing.
And they still open new accounts and accept coins from new and repeat users.
But many people complained about not being able to withdraw their coins (apparently since Sep.2012).

On this forum Torwallet is labelled as a scammer.

Talking about Torwallet on another post, Stephen Gornick  says that 'The registrar is Microtronix, a vendor that takes bitcoin, so they should be able to justify complying with a takedown.'

Microtronix is a Canadian company, in business for over 20 years.  They also have a webhosting service :  http://www.microthosting.com/   tel given: (419) 972-1746 .
This in turn provides 'Bitcoin Servers'  :   http://www.microthosting.com/bitcoin-servers.html  .

And I quote some of their 'services':
'Lastly, the wallet.dat file is YOURS, it is yours alone and we have zero rights to the file.  Since this is not a community wallet service we don't own your wallets!  What you are buying from us is hosting basically, this falls under our typical terms of service, and all files contained in your user directory are YOURS and yours alone.  No more worrying if an online wallet site steals your coins, THEIR YOURS, you own them, you own the wallet. '

'The cost of this service is $5.26 a month, ONLY!  We manage all services on the server and all security. When you purchase we automatically generate a certificate for your client also.  All is managed at this low monthly cost.
Backing up your wallet:
We also offer full backup services for your wallet.  For the low monthly cost of $3.50 per 10GB of space we backup your wallet for YOU! You get a $0.50 discount on the normal backup prices since you own this wallet service.'

I have but quoted  ( including capitalization  and exclamation signs ) for the benefit of all interested parties.   I don't understand why one would pay $105/year but maybe some people/companies consider this a bargain.

And I don't know if they have anything to do with Torwallet . But again, Stephen Gornick reported that Microtronix maybe hosting Torwallet. Yet it is possible that they only provide  'Bitcoin Servers', as mentioned above.

As to TorWallet, it is not impossible that the owner has had some kind of accident and is unable to watch the site.  And the machine continues to behave as initially programmed without removing the coins on deposit. Or some twisted mind is very sure of his nefarious abilities and wants to get out every bit.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 11:01:24 PM
Last edit: December 22, 2012, 12:19:17 AM by Blazr

A couple of days ago, I sent a bitcent to torwallet to see if/where it would move to & if the site was still not allowing users to make transactions.

Its still in the same address, makes me think that it may not be a scam and the owner could actually be AWOL.

SnafuKazoo

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 01:11:58 AM

I would also like to believe the owner of the site has a legitimate reason for the current state of his site.  However, I have less faith in humanity considering to what lengths people will go to secure a massive bitcoin wallet (who only they have the keys to).  I'm guessing the owner will be laying low for quite some time before attempting to move the coins.  I would however be very interested in pursuing the current host of the site.  How could we legally force them to give up their customer information?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: