Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:16:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What Do You Use Bitcoins for?  (Read 1726 times)
Scotty M (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 03:53:03 AM

I've followed them along with interest for awhile but just now getting started.

A big thing for me is it allows me to play online poker again.

I can see myself using them for almost everything though.

I run an online business, it'd be cool  to be able to pay hosting, service providers, etc in Bitcoins.

Do you own a business? If so how do you use bitcoins?

Did you start mining them or did you start using them because of the investment speculation/anonymous aspect of them? What do you buy day to day?

I'm a BIG fan of decentralized currency (a big fan of anything that competes with central banks) and can't wait to get started with them.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RobertClemons

Activity: 28

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 04:03:13 AM

A more trust worthy, secure currency (unlike fiat), can't trust the banks!
drakness

Activity: 33

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 04:06:08 AM

A store of value... and a great investment.  And an easy way to make purchases.
RobertClemons

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 04:09:10 AM

MDMA
mjc

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2013, 04:30:30 AM

Services and goods.  I mine and use them to pay for things I used to pay $ for.  VPN service, Hosting service and some other stuff.

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS
Scotty M (OP)

Activity: 17

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 04:46:40 AM

Services and goods.  I mine and use them to pay for things I used to pay $ for.  VPN service, Hosting service and some other stuff.

I know this isn't the right forum (I can't post anywhere else yet), but if you have anything that you'd consider bartering/trading for let me know. I'd like to get some BTC's but I don't want to wait for my bank account, there are no BitInstant places near me and I don't know anyone who'd want to take Paypal from me since I'm new here. But I have servers, I have people who can provide services, I have access to quality traffic (mainly entrepreneurs/business owners), tons of other stuff too.

If there's anything that you need let me know, I'm open to suggestions.

Feel free to shoot me a pm.

Thanks!
RobertClemons

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 04:48:03 AM

I know this isn't the right forum (I can't post anywhere else yet), but if you have anything that you'd consider bartering/trading for let me know. I'd like to get some BTC's but I don't want to wait for my bank account, there are no BitInstant places near me and I don't know anyone who'd want to take Paypal from me since I'm new here. But I have servers, I have people who can provide services, I have access to quality traffic (mainly entrepreneurs/business owners), tons of other stuff too.

If there's anything that you need let me know, I'm open to suggestions.

Feel free to shoot me a pm.

Thanks!

Why don't you wait until you can post in the marketplace and list all the services you provide there along with their prices? I'm sure people will be interested!
Anormalname

Activity: 24

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 05:00:37 AM

Gambling mostly. I find it fun.
RobertClemons

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 05:02:55 AM

Be very careful, gambling has negative EV!
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 05:06:27 AM

I use bitcoins to avoid hoarding euros.

trekky0623

Activity: 10

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 05:17:52 AM

I've been loaning them to other users and charging interest. Since there's not much to spend them on, I figure that'll stimulate the economy more than hoarding them.

By the way, I wanted to say this. If bitcoin is to survive, there must be a market that forms to accept them. The people who say bitcoins are deflating are not telling the whole truth. There's no way for bitcoin to deflate (well, except for losing them into the bitcoin blackhole, but that's another discussion all together). The only reason it appears to deflate is because of the inflation of other currencies at a faster rate than bitcoin. If bitcoin were to start being accepted to pay for goods and services, the flaws in fiat currencies currently in existence would become apparent as their inflation was made obvious in light of bitcoin's stability. And as long as people hoard bitcoins in order to trade them in for fiat currency, that will never change. Bitcoins will simply be an investment, and one that fluctuates wildly, rather than a stable currency in their own right.
Anormalname

Activity: 24

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 05:19:45 AM

Yeah but its so much fun. Who knows though. Maybe i'll win big and stop at just the right time :p
RobertClemons

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 05:23:15 AM

Yeah but its so much fun. Who knows though. Maybe i'll win big and stop at just the right time :p

I hope so, just don't bet anything you wouldn't like to lose.
ProSt

Activity: 10

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 11:53:29 AM

There are sites (peerbet is the one i can think of) that (at least claim to) take no profit from the gambling, instead taking their revinue from the ads on the page.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 12:03:00 PM

I've followed them along with interest for awhile but just now getting started.

A big thing for me is it allows me to play online poker again.

I can see myself using them for almost everything though.

I run an online business, it'd be cool  to be able to pay hosting, service providers, etc in Bitcoins.

Do you own a business? If so how do you use bitcoins?

Did you start mining them or did you start using them because of the investment speculation/anonymous aspect of them? What do you buy day to day?

I'm a BIG fan of decentralized currency (a big fan of anything that competes with central banks) and can't wait to get started with them.

I use bitcoin to safeguard and advance my individual sovereignty. Bitcoin safeguards sovereignty in a way that not even gold and silver can begin to match. Your gold and silver can be stolen, but with a brain wallet not only can your coins not be stolen, but access to your coins can never be taken away AND there is no way for anyone to even know that you have coins. You could be black bagged in the middle of the night, taken away in a windowless van, stripped, searched inside and out and locked in solitary confinement and you would STILL have your bitcoins, this can not be said about gold or silver.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
PetraGeisel

Activity: 32

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 02:19:02 PM

i put every spare $ i got into bitcoin and do not sell until the price is 200$+
bluedye

Activity: 56

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 06:05:38 PM

Mostly investment reasons but I also use it occasionally for simple, virtually instant money transfers to friends.
Avestan

Activity: 5

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 06:44:04 PM

Mainly playing poker.
Risse

Activity: 47
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2013, 06:45:11 PM

Mostly services, like translation, web development etc. But some goods too, usually from Bitmit.
just1nmc

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 09:25:25 PM

I haven't spent many yet, but I love selling extra things on Bitmit. Trying to sell my iPad that I never use right now. Quick way to invest something that's just sitting around
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: