Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:23:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New EU directive on electronic money - 2009/110/EG  (Read 4647 times)
Timo Y (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
October 28, 2010, 03:27:49 PM

Will BTC fall under new regulations for electronic money when this Directive comes into effect?

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2009:267:0007:0017:EN:PDF

Article 2(2)

‘electronic money’ means electronically, including
magnetically, stored monetary value as represented by a
claim on the issuer which is issued on receipt of funds for
the purpose of making payment transactions as defined in
point 5 of Article 4 of Directive 2007/64/EC, and which is
accepted by a natural or legal person other than the electronic
money issuer;

Bitcoin does not confer any kind of claim, whether on the "issuer" (be it an exchange or a miner), the developers, or any other Bitcoin user.  Neither it is issued on receipt of funds.

So it seems to me that BTC does not fulfil the directive's definition of "electronic money" and that legally it should be considered an electronic commodity.

However, if it does, this directive would imply that an amateur cannot legally mine Bitcoins!

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 28, 2010, 03:37:36 PM

It was bound to happen.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 28, 2010, 03:48:59 PM

It won't be long before EU try to regulate bitcoin too!

Damn governments. Alway thinks that they have the right to regulate everything and anything.

grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
October 28, 2010, 04:08:17 PM

Damn governments. Alway thinks that they have the right to regulate everything and anything.

+1

F.ck.ng b.st.rds.   I hate them.

ploum

Activity: 428
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2010, 07:29:48 PM

Bitcoin does not confer any kind of claim, whether on the "issuer" (be it an exchange or a miner), the developers, or any other Bitcoin user.  Neither it is issued on receipt of funds.

It is if you are trading bitcoin for money.  The whole market of bitcoin is not affected by the definition but the real money/bitcoin interface will. As a consequence, bitcoin *is* electronic money as long as someone is willing to buy it for real money.

So it seems to me that BTC does not fulfil the directive's definition of "electronic money" and that legally it should be considered an electronic commodity.

They were quite clever in the definition. It's commodity only if the "issuer" accept it against goods or services. Meaning that pre-payed accound and stuffs like that are not affected.

However, if it does, this directive would imply that an amateur cannot legally mine Bitcoins!

Not a big problem : how will they proove that you generated bitcoin ? Also, if I understood correctly, this would not be a problem anymore as soon as all bitcoin are generated, isn't it ?

What are the other consequences of such a law ? For example, what does it imply for MtGox if they were in EU ?

ploum

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2010, 07:57:43 PM

I'm also wondering if this affects Flattr (which is EU based)

Anonymous

October 28, 2010, 10:08:11 PM

Bitcoin is the perfect vehicle for bribery of public officials. Because they are so corrupt they should embrace it.

>insert sarcasm

The moral of the story -When you can pay off politicians with bitcoins they might view things differently.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2010, 08:26:52 AM

It is if you are trading bitcoin for money.  The whole market of bitcoin is not affected by the definition but the real money/bitcoin interface will. As a consequence, bitcoin *is* electronic money as long as someone is willing to buy it for real money.

I've seen this claim on the boards before. Do you think this directive really applies to anything that can be sold for money? So pancakes, flowers, and kisses ARE money if someone trades them for money?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
ploum

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2010, 09:26:13 AM

I've seen this claim on the boards before. Do you think this directive really applies to anything that can be sold for money? So pancakes, flowers, and kisses ARE money if someone trades them for money?

If you buy pancakes and that they can be used in other unrelated places to "buy" goods or services, then those pancakes are money.

The difference is that, at least, you can eat your pancake. With Euro, dollars or bitcoins, you can't.

ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
October 29, 2010, 11:06:11 AM

With Bitcoin, where is the "claim on the issuer" referred to in article 2(2)?
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2010, 11:09:44 AM

If you buy pancakes and that they can be used in other unrelated places to "buy" goods or services, then those pancakes are money.

The difference is that, at least, you can eat your pancake. With Euro, dollars or bitcoins, you can't.

Okay, in my house and at least one other pancakes are traded for many things including oz of OJ and sexual favors so I guess they are money now.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
October 29, 2010, 11:26:20 AM

Okay, in my house and at least one other pancakes are traded for many things including oz of OJ and sexual favors so I guess they are money now.

In addition to that, I think it's amazing that a law can forbid an action not regarding what this action "is", but only regarding what it is "claimed" to be.  It's like punishing "intention", not "acts".  In french that's what we call a "délit d'intention".  I very much think such a thing is unconstitutionnal.

What people have in mind is never a crime.  Crime is what people do, not the reason why they do it.

Anonymous

October 29, 2010, 12:04:22 PM

nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 29, 2010, 12:49:48 PM

Now try to make a hat out of Bitcoins Smiley
Anonymous

October 29, 2010, 01:01:58 PM

Now try to make a hat out of Bitcoins Smiley