Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 09:40:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile Target Gift Cards -- even more flexible and anonymous  (Read 2732 times)
HeavySteel (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 12:00:11 AM

Hello,

I will be adding the option to purchase Target gift cards electronically (i.e. mobile cards) on Bitmit.  This method is the most anonymous way of purchasing a gift card that can be used at physical Target store locations AND at their on-line store via a smartphone and QR code.  This is not possible with a Target eGift card.  eGift cards can only be used on-line.  You can see the list of the items I sell on Bitmit with the following link:

www.bitmit.net/en/user/heavysteel

SUMMARY OF HOW THIS WORKS:

Buy a physical Target gift card for a small amount ($5 for example) at a Target store.  This card (call it Card #1) acts like your private gift card that no one else knows. With your smartphone, apply Card #1 to your Target mobile account that you setup.  After you purchase a Target mobile gift card on Bitmit from me (call it Card #2), I will send the card number and access code via email.  You validate the amount by applying Card #2 to your Target mobile account.  To lock in the Card #2 so no one else can use it, it must be combined with Card #1 which is your private gift card.  In effect, this moves the funds from Card #2 to Card #1 while invalidating Card #2.

To spend the funds on Card #1 at a physical Target store, present the QR code on your smartphone at the cashier.  For their on-line stores, use Card #1’s card number and access code directly.

DETAILED STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS FOR FIRST-TIME USERS:

(1)   If you do not have an existing Target gift card, purchase one with cash at the store – e.g. for $5.  This is your private card with a card number and access code that only you know.  Call this Card #1.
(2)   Go to “Target.com/gc” through a web browser on your smartphone.  You must use your smartphone, NOT your computer.  You will receive a prompt asking to download the Target app.  Download and install the app which will make things easier.
(3)   Create a Target mobile account by providing your mobile number, email address, and a PIN code.
(4)   Add a new gift card with Card #1’s number and access code to your Target mobile account.
(5)   Purchase the mobile Target card of your choice on Bitmit from me.  Call this Card #2.  I will send the card number and access code (which comes from a physical card) to the email address that you provide.
(6)   Go to your Target mobile account and add Card #2.  This is when you can confirm the amount on the card.
(7)   Use the “Combine” option to combine Card #2 with Card #1.  This effectively moves the funds from Card #2 to Card #1 and invalidates Card #2, preventing me and anyone else from using the physical card to make purchases.
(Cool   To purchase goods and services at any physical Target store, select Card #1 in your mobile account and present the QR code for scanning.  The Target smartphone app makes this easier.
(9)   If you want to purchase items at Target’s on-line store, use the card number and access code directly.

Note, there is probably a $2,000 limit on combining cards as there is when purchasing Target gift cards.  I am not sure if there is a limit to the number of cards that can be combined.  But if you have any questions or problems, please PM so we can work them out.

Best regards.
HeavySteel (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 03:54:31 AM

Someone asked me if I shred the Target cards.  To clarify, the cards are shredded after the buyer confirms the amount when applied to their Target mobile account and then releases the bitcoins from escrow.  But as long as the card is combined with the buyer's private card (Card #1), the physical card's (Card #2) number and access code are automatically invalidated and cannot be used.

Both physical and mobile cards are available in $100, $200, and $500 amounts.  The physical card option is delivered via certified mail with the scratch-off protection still intact.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: