Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:59:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Wallet to Amazon S3/Google Storage for Developers?  (Read 2508 times)
kongming208 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 06, 2010, 05:56:12 PM

I've been making backups of my wallet using Dropbox, but I found that the bitcoin client writes logfiles and other data rather often, which clutters up my Dropbox history. So, I wanted to write a patch that will let users automatically back up their wallet after every transaction to Amazon S3 or Google Storage for Developers.

Anyone willing to pledge bitcoin donations for this project? Of course, I don't expect to get anything before I complete the project, but I'd be much more willing to put time into it if I know I'll get even a little cash out of it.

I plan on making the project open-source, using the same license as bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 12, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
Last edit: February 09, 2011, 01:13:58 AM by sgornick

I've been making backups of my wallet using Dropbox, but I found that the bitcoin client writes logfiles and other data rather often, which clutters up my Dropbox history. So, I wanted to write a patch that will let users automatically back up their wallet after every transaction to Amazon S3 or Google Storage for Developers.

Anyone willing to pledge bitcoin donations for this project? Of course, I don't expect to get anything before I complete the project, but I'd be much more willing to put time into it if I know I'll get even a little cash out of it.

I plan on making the project open-source, using the same license as bitcoin.

Rather than have dropbox backup the entire Bitcoin folder can you have it just backup the wallet.dat, which is all you need to recover if needed.   Assuming you are using MkLink (Vista/WIndows 7) or Junction/fsutil (XP), do either of those allow just an individual file to be linked?  (On linux I use ln (symlink) which allows either.)

I've used Microsoft SyncToy to replicate an individual file into a Dropbox folder and added it to the task scheduler so that it is performed automatically each day.

But as far as storing an unencrypted wallet.dat on Dropbox ... Huh

Dropbox appears to have the bases covered as far as being able to trust that your data is secure from unauthorized access on their end: https://www.dropbox.com/help/27
Dropbox employees aren't able to access user files, and when troubleshooting an account they only have access to file metadata (filenames, file sizes, etc., not the file contents)

however Dropbox is used by many to replicate their documents and files to all of the various devices they use.  Do you really want your unencrypted wallet.dat on your dropbox folder on each of these devices?

As far as a patch modifying the Bitcoin client to be able to backup the wallet after every transaction (or at least after ever new address is allocated), is the backup target going to be *my* S3 / Google Storage account or yours / 3rd party?  If the wallet is encrypted (e.g., gpg) first, then I don't care as much.  The Bitcoin FAQ reads: An in-built tool for encrypting your wallet will be included in Bitcoin later on. so that will likely make auto-backup functionality easier to build.

Is there any roadmap / priority list for the client to get a better handle on when and how that might happen?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2010, 08:33:05 PM

Since keypools were introduced you don't need to backup after each address generation anymore.
Your client generates a bunch of adresses in advance and feeds them to you upon request.

Anonymous

December 12, 2010, 09:31:10 PM

http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 12, 2010, 09:32:30 PM

Tahoe Lafs is not exactly userfriendly.

Pages: [1]
  Print