Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:19:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-05-03 Wired/Kaminsky: Let’s Cut Through the Bitcoin Hype: A Hacker-Entrepre  (Read 7944 times)
jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 11:25:55 PM
Last edit: May 05, 2013, 04:27:06 PM by jgarzik

Let’s Cut Through the Bitcoin Hype: A Hacker-Entrepreneur’s Take
by Dan Kaminsky

URL: http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/05/lets-cut-through-the-bitcoin-hype/

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
freethink2013

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 11:33:39 PM

someone didn't get into the market as early as they wished they had
psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 11:42:34 PM

Interesting article: but what's with the tacky, sensationalist headline that doesn't even reflect the article?

EDIT: in fact most of the article contradicts the headline.
Stark-Fujikawa

Activity: 150

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 11:44:02 PM

Interesting article: but what's with the tacky, sensationalist headline that doesn't even reflect the article?

Could be an editor's decision. "It's a good article, but it lacks the hook to draw people in." That sorta stuff.

NL/EN Translator. Will work for crypto.
NXT:13307336450726014831
psybits
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 11:45:33 PM

Could be an editor's decision. "It's a good article, but it lacks the hook to draw people in." That sorta stuff.

Yeah I thought it was probably to get more traffic - whenever I see that though I lose respect for the publisher - no matter who it is. Trashy tabloids do that - Wired shouldn't.
Stark-Fujikawa

Activity: 150

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 11:46:51 PM

I generally really like Wired, as far as I know they were one of the first to pay serious attention to Bitcoin.

NL/EN Translator. Will work for crypto.
NXT:13307336450726014831
psybits
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 11:47:57 PM

I generally really like Wired, as far as I know they were one of the first to pay serious attention to Bitcoin.

They had some opinion pieces last year slamming Bitcoin saying it wouldn't amount to anything!
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 11:48:50 PM

Bitcoin is not as secure as we think.

- Dan Kaminsky

The system and framework itself is preternaturally sound.

- Dan Kaminsky

The first quote was a lame way of his actual point, which is that bitcoin exist in an ecosystem of less sound systems that can be exploited to steal bitcoins or disrupt markets.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 12:04:26 AM

Of all the millions of dollars of purloined bitcoin that’s floating around out there, not one Satoshi of it has been spent.

That seems like a claim worth giving evidence for.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
nebulus

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

... it only gets better...

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 12:19:36 AM

Pretty good read.

hathmill

Activity: 186

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 06:55:30 AM

I like what he said about litecoin  Wink
JackMack96

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 12:21:52 AM

Interesting enough read, I didn't really like the article though.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 11:19:20 AM

The UK flavour of Wired, wired.co.uk is better than the US one in my experience. They do run many of the same articles, but the UK site just seems far more intelligent.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 11:58:25 AM

According to another thread, Wired has changed the headline. Wonder if Kaminski called in to complain about the old one. Wink
xcsler

Activity: 227

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 02:06:17 PM

I like what he said about litecoin  Wink

Can you explain in a non-technical way why he likes Litecoin.
Thanks.
jgarzik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 04:27:20 PM

Updated OP to reflect new article title.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
adam3us

Activity: 404
Merit: 359

in bitcoin we trust

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 04:25:13 PM

by Dan Kaminsky

I thought it was a rather good article.

Did everyone notice this later comment by Kaminsky in the comments section:

Quote from: Dan Kaminsky
A number of parties have >51% powers, and are not using them. If they were used, we'd probably see the masses arrive at a consensus to do something about it -- unless the powers weren't abused, and were used judiciously. Things get weird at this scale. The Queen of England retains interesting powers across the world, that she does not use very frequently (lest she lose them). Rarely used, extreme capabilities, that are nonetheless well known to exist -- this is a property of many systems that end up stable.

Pressure release valves. Just because something can be abused, doesn't mean it will be, or must be eliminated.

He seems to be claiming that there are multiple dark-miners with ASICs who have enough power to exceed the network, but are holding back for fear of damaging their mining profit.  He's usually quite careful to not make claims he cant back up.

You would think someone in that position given the level of investment would not be likely to try double spending, but rather would be out for mining profit.  Its an interesting dynamic though eh - restraint - maybe via explicit or implicit cartel if there are multiple.  Probably some physical oligopoly mining analogy eg diamonds with reduced supply pacts to hold the price and profit up.

Adam

hashcash, committed transactions, homomorphic values, blind kdf; researching decentralization, scalability and fungibility/anonymity
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 06:00:47 PM

by Dan Kaminsky

I thought it was a rather good article.

Did everyone notice this later comment by Kaminsky in the comments section:

A number of parties have >51% powers, and are not using them. If they were used, we'd probably see the masses arrive at a consensus to do something about it -- unless the powers weren't abused, and were used judiciously. Things get weird at this scale. The Queen of England retains interesting powers across the world, that she does not use very frequently (lest she lose them). Rarely used, extreme capabilities, that are nonetheless well known to exist -- this is a property of many systems that end up stable.

Pressure release valves. Just because something can be abused, doesn't mean it will be, or must be eliminated.

He seems to be claiming that there are multiple dark-miners with ASICs who have enough power to exceed the network, but are holding back for fear of damaging their mining profit.  He's usually quite careful to not make claims he cant back up.

You would think someone in that position given the level of investment would not be likely to try double spending, but rather would be out for mining profit.  Its an interesting dynamic though eh - restraint - maybe via explicit or implicit cartel if there are multiple.  Probably some physical oligopoly mining analogy eg diamonds with reduced supply pacts to hold the price and profit up.

Adam

how would he know?
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 07:50:08 PM

A number of parties have >51% powers, and are not using them. If they were used, we'd probably see the masses arrive at a consensus to do something about it -- unless the powers weren't abused, and were used judiciously....

Got an email clarification: thats not what Kaminsky meant; what he meant was some pools are large (verging 50%), and some ASICs have a large amount of power.  Therefore they could be close to or at ability to do 50% attack but are seemingly not and probably wont.

Adam

well then, what was quoted in the article is totally misleading once again.
adam3us

Activity: 404
Merit: 359

in bitcoin we trust

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 10:16:52 PM

Kaminsky replied on the wired thread:

Dan Kaminsky -> Adam Back -
It's not a coincidence that BTCGuild gets right up to 48% and stops, and the last group who spun up their ASICs got to 17-25% on first fire. There's a number of parties who can go ahead and grab 51%; everybody's holding back. (Of course, the dynamic of everyone holding back, is that once people aren't holding back a new equilibrium may form, the nature of which is really actually hard to judge. Great arms race to predict if you're in the business of selling arms though!)

Bitcoin will have a new work function in the next year, or there will be a new Bitcoin. Not actually sure which.

I would think the reason to hold back is economic - if you had 100TH and you mine too hard at 50% spread across a few pools, you reduce your own profit as difficulty adjusts to you.

(Deleted my other post here - since Kaminsky posted his comments on the wired article)

Adam

hashcash, committed transactions, homomorphic values, blind kdf; researching decentralization, scalability and fungibility/anonymity
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: