Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:11:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-05-30 Guardian.co.uk - Bitcoin will continue to function beyond the reach o  (Read 2150 times)
Stephen Gornick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 07:37:20 PM
Last edit: May 30, 2013, 07:56:36 PM by Stephen Gornick

Bitcoin will continue to function beyond the reach of government and law
by James Ball

The real transformative power of Bitcoin, or something like it, lies not in a speculative bubble, but in its potential to put currency outside of the control of governments, or law enforcement agencies.
[...]
"Bitcoin makes Liberty Reserve look quaint – as unlike the alleged money launderer, Bitcoin is decentralised. There's no single company or entity controlling the currency, and so it's nearly impossible to shut down.
[...]
"Where real money is exchanged into Bitcoins is still a potential weak spot for authorities – and some Bitcoin exchanges are looking to sign up with regulators.
[...]
"If Bitcoin, or a currency working in a similar way to it, got a stable value and a large user base, it could take cash flows forever out of the hands of government. Whether that's a great thing or a terrible thing depends on what you're trying to do, what you think of government and what country you're talking about.
[...]
The prosecutors of the southern district of New York are very publicly celebrating their shutting down of the Liberty Reserve operation. They should enjoy it – it may be one of their last such victories.

- http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/may/30/bitcoin-beyond-reach-of-government

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 07:38:10 PM

Duplicate... not that it doesn't merit a second read, mind you.  Cheesy
Stephen Gornick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 07:55:32 PM

Ya, I see that now.  The timestamps are just a couple minutes apart.

As far as the article, the comments show how there's still so much about the basics of bitcoin that people aren't grasping.   But compare that to the comments from a year ago, or two years ago and the typical reader is much further along.   (I suppose since even infrequent readers have now seen a dozen articles about it they are starting to realize it isn't some ponzi / scam and will probably be with us for a while).

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 08:07:05 PM

Ya, I see that now.  The timestamps are just a couple minutes apart.

As far as the article, the comments show how there's still so much about the basics of bitcoin that people aren't grasping.   But compare that to the comments from a year ago, or two years ago and the typical reader is much further along.   (I suppose since even infrequent readers have now seen a dozen articles about it they are starting to realize it isn't some ponzi / scam and will probably be with us for a while).

I agree... there were two articles on Bitcoin in the WSJ just today. I think critical mass is just around the corner now... finally.
HBBZ

Activity: 570
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 03:56:24 PM

The formal conversation between bitcoin and governments is a long way to go, something like 2 shadow boxers approaching each other with caution.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 06:17:39 PM

The formal conversation between bitcoin and governments is a long way to go, something like 2 shadow boxers approaching each other with caution.

Nice imagery, but I prefer a rather more dramatic depiction.

Bitcoin is bureaucratic ebola. While the host is busy penning new legislation that favors the biggest lobbying effort, BTC-bola is zooming along its bloodstream, hijacking cells and producing more copies of itself. As the capillaries fill with the detrius of bursted cell duplicators pushed to the limit - our host starts to sweat and feel tired.

The end, when it comes, will have the host wondering what is wrong - why will the headache never end, that law that should've stopped BTC-bola didn't WORK, dammit - "Oh hell, my back hurts terribly. Think I'll lie down and have a rest."

BTC-bola continues to infect the host, until its heart stops from massive damage to its corrupted systems.

Yes, a bit over-the-top, but I couldn't resist.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: