Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:38:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ubuntu bitcoin packages  (Read 24895 times)
David Armstrong (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 05, 2011, 11:50:20 AM

Hello,

I've setup a launchpad PPA to host Ubuntu packages of bitcoin.  Version 0.3.19 is up now with builds for maverick and lucid.  I've tested the Maverick build and it runs ok for me, I don't have a machine around to test Lucid.

The PPA is hosted at https://launchpad.net/~stretch/+archive/bitcoin

To install on Ubuntu:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:stretch/bitcoin
sudo apt-get install bitcoin

then to run
bitcoin or bitcoind - both are in /usr/bin

If this works/doesn't work for anyone please let me know.

thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2011, 12:27:03 PM

Also see
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=578157

genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
January 05, 2011, 02:21:42 PM

+1 another reason to remove the wxWidgets code from Bitcoin and allow others to make their own.
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2011, 03:10:42 PM

Very nice!  Let me ask some dumb questions:

I've setup a launchpad PPA to host Ubuntu packages of bitcoin.

What does PPA stand for?

Does launchpad help solve the 'trusted build' problem-- e.g. does the build process automatically fetch from source code that we can all look at and audit?

How hard would it be to setup something similar to produce regular builds of the github integration repository?

Right now, the bitcoin build process is "Satoshi does it."  Using Launchpad to create the Linux builds seems like the right way to go.

Last dumb question:  are there services similar to Launchpad for building Mac/Windows software?

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2011, 12:13:06 AM

It is also possible to use Launchpad for Mac/Windows software (e.g. this project is Win-Only: https://launchpad.net/lilregcleaner)

... but Launchpad won't build (run the compiler on one of their machines) Mac/Windows software, or did I miss that feature when I looked at the website?

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
davux

Activity: 288
Merit: 263

Firstbits.com/1davux

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2011, 01:04:36 AM

... but Launchpad won't build (run the compiler on one of their machines) Mac/Windows software, or did I miss that feature when I looked at the website?

Here's my limited knowledge about it, but please someone correct/complete this information. Ubuntu and Debian packages are built by the uploader of the package (who is not always the same person as the package maintainer, btw). I don't know about Ubuntu, but in the case of Debian, the uploader is a trusted DD (Debian Developper), who reviews at least the package-specific diff produced by the package maintainer (if not the whole source), builds the binary, signs the whole thing and uploads it. For all other architectures than those the DD has access to, binaries are automatically built by a daemon at Debian's. It's possible that the daemon also rebuilds the binary on the archs provided by the DD, but I'm not sure of that part.

I suspect Ubuntu packages to work in a similar way – I'm not sure about the specific case of PPAs, though, since they're user-provided.

1DavuxH9tLqU4c7zvG387aTG4mA7BcRpp2
México (Oaxaca) – France - Leeds
David Armstrong (OP)

Activity: 11

View Profile
January 06, 2011, 08:07:00 AM

I'm still a PPA novice so my answers might not be 100% right....

Very nice!  Let me ask some dumb questions:

I've setup a launchpad PPA to host Ubuntu packages of bitcoin.

What does PPA stand for?

Does launchpad help solve the 'trusted build' problem-- e.g. does the build process automatically fetch from source code that we can all look at and audit?

It won't automatically fetch the source, but it does force me to upload the source (and an optional patch) and builds packages from those.

In this case I took the tarball from sourceforge.  The patch is minimal, just thin wrapper around the bitcoin makefile to keep the debian build system happy.

On https://launchpad.net/~stretch/+archive/bitcoin/+packages you can poke around a bit and you'll see download links for all the various files, and on http://launchpadlibrarian.net/61656269/bitcoin_0.3.19-maverick6_source.changes you'll be able to verify the checksums match to the original tarball.

How hard would it be to setup something similar to produce regular builds of the github integration repository?

Right now, the bitcoin build process is "Satoshi does it."  Using Launchpad to create the Linux builds seems like the right way to go.

With your own dedicated machine it would be fairly easy, just a cron job to checkout a snapshot, tar up and submit to launchpad.  We can eliminate the patch file by checking those changes back into the main source tree.

I don't know whether or not launchpad could host the cron job for us.

Last dumb question:  are there services similar to Launchpad for building Mac/Windows software?

hacim

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 06, 2011, 04:17:57 PM

Debian packages were uploaded in december, now awaiting  ftpmaster approval:
   http://ftp-master.debian.org/new/bitcoin_0.3.19~dfsg-2.html

It is also unofficially available using this APT line:

deb http://debian.jones.dk/ unstable freedombox

...or manually downloaded here:

http://debian.jones.dk/pkg/freedombox/bitcoin/

...or git cloned from here:

git://git.debian.org/git/collab-maint/bitcoin

15yns1RVpBHZ8uj8mGVUJVCyPh5ieW3FQx
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2011, 04:23:35 PM

It's going to be pretty nice and strengthening to have all debian geeks putting their sleepy boxes to mine Smiley

em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2011, 12:12:26 AM

To install on Ubuntu:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:stretch/bitcoin
sudo apt-get install bitcoin

Did not install on my Ubuntu 10.04 x86-64:

$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:stretch/bitcoin
[sudo] password for user:
Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring /etc/apt/secring.gpg --trustdb-name /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --primary-keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv CD1034FCBFA4E05DCFAD0C2A8741DDC3A4FF3776
gpg: requesting key A4FF3776 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: key A4FF3776: public key "Launchpad PPA for David Armstrong" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:               imported: 1  (RSA: 1)
$ sudo apt-get install bitcoin
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://ppa.launchpad.net/pmcenery/ppa/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/ppa.launchpad.net_pmcenery_ppa_ubuntu_dists_lucid_main_binary-amd64_Packages)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
E: Couldn't find package bitcoin

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
em3rgentOrdr

Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2011, 01:51:35 PM

W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://ppa.launchpad.net/pmcenery/ppa/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/ppa.launchpad.net_pmcenery_ppa_ubuntu_dists_lucid_main_binary-amd64_Packages)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
E: Couldn't find package bitcoin

Did you read that? Tongue

Oops!!!  I feel like an idiot!  (But I included the error message so that a smart person like you could read it and copy and paste it for me)  Embarrassed

You have added the PPA twice, which doesn't make any sense to apt... Edit the sources.list
sudo vim /etc/apt/sources.list

Yup!  That's exactly the problem. I just fixed my sources.list, and it installs just fine.

and remove the duplicate entry. If you don't know how to use vim, you can try nano by replacing it:
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Don't worry, I'm a vim user.  Smiley

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
ModVAVet

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 08:05:44 PM

Just installed on Ubuntu 10.10 i386...  Install was quick and flawless, but bitcoin only runs for maybe 30 seconds and then disappears  Undecided  Not sure what to do there...  It's not minimizing to the taskbar, either.
skull88

Activity: 683
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 17, 2011, 11:01:39 PM

Works flawless on Ubuntu 10.10 i386 here.

BTC: 1MifMqtqqwMMAbb6zr8u6qEzWqq3CQeGUr
LTC: LhvMYEngkKS2B8FAcbnzHb2dvW8n9eHkdp
Mahkul

Merit: 250

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
February 09, 2011, 06:17:44 PM

When I try to install it says:

Code:
mahkul@mahkul-Dimension-2400:~$ sudo apt-get install bitcoin                    Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
E: Unable to locate package bitcoin

Is the package gone from the repository? (I succesfully added the PPA prior to installing).
I Use Dial

View Profile
February 10, 2011, 10:46:12 PM

Code:
mahkul@mahkul-Dimension-2400:~$ sudo apt-get install bitcoin                    Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree

Is the package gone from the repository? (I succesfully added the PPA prior to installing).
I just got the exact same thing.  I'm no Linux guru, but I have a 10.04 Server that I use for really only a few things, like secure browsing while traveling, bacula, etc.  It could run bitcoin pretty much 24/7 and I wouldn't notice.  I could also run it on my FreeNAS if that were even possible.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
February 13, 2011, 07:20:50 AM

Just started Ubuntu on VM and still no bitcoin in repositories after 2 years of the project activity & dynamic development.

Is somebody working on officially pushing bitcoin to central/canonical Ubuntu repos ? This could significantly increase BTC popularity.
(The same with other distros)

tuxsoul

Activity: 40

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2011, 04:35:56 AM

I just got the exact same thing.  I'm no Linux guru, but I have a 10.04 Server that I use for really only a few things, like secure browsing while traveling, bacula, etc.  It could run bitcoin pretty much 24/7 and I wouldn't notice.  I could also run it on my FreeNAS if that were even possible.

Hi,

If you have a small server, you can check my repository to test bitcoind (not gui).
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2207

In the next update i build for: lucid, maverick and natty.

Greetings.
tuxsoul

Activity: 40

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2011, 05:07:16 AM

Is somebody working on officially pushing bitcoin to central/canonical Ubuntu repos ? This could significantly increase BTC popularity.
(The same with other distros)

Is not necessary, if exist an official debian package, only is necesary send a request for sync, with that, ubuntu will use the debian package.

In other way, i can send my own package to ubuntu revu.

example: bitcoin-cpuminer in ubuntu revu
http://revu.ubuntuwire.com/p/bitcoin-cpuminer

Greetings.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
February 14, 2011, 10:46:23 AM

Is not necessary, if exist an official debian package, only is necesary send a request for sync, with that, ubuntu will use the debian package.

Very good idea.

Cheers.

krisgesling

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 01:36:58 PM

Code:
Building dependency tree

Did you run sudo apt-get update before you tried to install bitcoin?

I just installed it on 10.10 and it seems to be going fine at generating blocks, I don't however have any idea what its doing or how the system works so I'm gonna go do some reading.

Goodluck
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: