Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:57:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Playstation 3 hacked.  (Read 10902 times)
Anonymous

January 10, 2011, 10:48:33 AM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2011/jan/07/playstation-3-hack-ps3

My ps3 is on ALL the time because we use the playtv box and playstation remote to control the channels.

If I could run bitcoin on it at the same time I wouldnt care how long it took to generate a coin as it is on all the time anyway so its almost free electricity. Then it would be a simple matter of sending coins to it to buy downloadable content...

I tried buying a movie from the playstation store but it was a nightmare trying to enter credit card info with a tv remote.

tl;dr a bitcoin app on the ps3 is an great idea?

p.s. might not even need to run bitcoin on the ps3 itself you could just use a usb dongle or dvd which you plug in with an interface to let you join the pooled mining effort.

Imagine the massive amount of power if every ps3 could do this easily. The idea makes my hair stand up lol.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
January 10, 2011, 12:01:29 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcbaeKA2moE

hurrah
Anonymous

January 10, 2011, 12:17:53 PM

Thanks for that.

*considers a bounty for a usb miner that runs on the ps3
ColdHardMetal

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 10, 2011, 01:53:08 PM

Already people doing it for other stuff so no reason Bitcoin couldn't make a go of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_cluster

em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2011, 01:10:01 AM

AWWEEESSSOOOOMMMEE!!!!!    Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
January 11, 2011, 02:02:58 AM

LOL  check out at 37 min.   Very funny part when they explain that sony used ECDSA signatures with a constant "random" number.

Anonymous

January 11, 2011, 02:50:02 AM

LOL  check out at 37 min.   Very funny part when they explain that sony used ECDSA signatures with a constant "random" number.

I like it when they get the badge lol
FreddyFender

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

Shamantastic!

View Profile
January 11, 2011, 03:17:24 AM

David A Bader has lots of stuff for PS3 hacking.
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~bader/

em3rgentOrdr

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2011, 04:49:39 AM

David A Bader has lots of stuff for PS3 hacking.
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~bader/

Yeah, I've attended a few of his lectures at gatech.  In fact, that's why I bought a PS3.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2011, 04:58:19 AM

Yeah, I've attended a few of his lectures at gatech.  In fact, that's why I bought a PS3.

And have you managed to actually install linux on it ?

Anonymous

January 11, 2011, 05:30:31 AM

Id definitely pay bitcoins for a usb miner for the ps3  Smiley

Even better if its plug and play.  Cheesy

When they added folding@home to the playstation the computational power doubled.

I dont care if its a crap bitcoin miner - thats not the point ...its the sheer weight of numbers Smiley

em3rgentOrdr

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2011, 05:43:25 AM

And have you managed to actually install linux on it ?

Yes I installed Yellow Dog Linux...but eventually uninstalled it when I realized that the PS3 wasn't much with the graphics card disabled, and then I was one of those idiots who upgraded to the infamous firmware version 3.21 which disabled OtherOS.  However, I just tried out geohot's latest jailbreak and could successfully run custom code. Smiley  I'd like to figure out how to run bitcoin on my PS3 now...unfortunately, I usually get frustrated when compiling with libraries...and I am admittedly not enough of an expert with bitcoin's code to know how many libraries it depends on.  If there was some version of bitcoin without library dependencies, I would be happy to try compiling it and running it on my PS3.

(I also have idiotically upgraded my iPhone OS a few times and lost the jailbreak, but hopefully I have learned my lesson by now.)

Id definitely pay bitcoins for a usb miner for the ps3  Smiley

Even better if its plug and play.  Cheesy

You wouldn't believe how easy geohot's jailbreak for firmware v3.55 was...just simply put file on usb, put usb in PS3, do System->Update via other media, and then wait for restart.  Then just put custom .pkg on usb root folder and put in PS3 and run it from the game menu.  Again, I would be happy to try compiling a bare-bones bitcoin miner client (without any libraries) using the http://psl1ght.com/ framework, so if anyone wants me to try something out, feel free to send me some bare-bones bitcoin code (or even try compiling a bitcoin.pkg yourself with psl1ght and send it to me) and I'll test it out on my jailbroken PS3 with the latest firmware v3.55,

FreddyFender

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

Shamantastic!

View Profile
January 11, 2011, 01:09:32 PM

I have seen this article while studying HPC:

Multi-Stream Hashing on the PlayStation 3

A google scholar search bring up the article from PARA2008 claiming SHA256 hashing at 18.7 Gbit/s on 4 SPEs.
Some quick math says divide by? to get the actual hash rate of CLminer?

em3rgentOrdr

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2011, 12:19:31 AM

http://www.betanews.com/article/Sony-sues-Hotz-hacking-group-over-PS3-hacks/1294869035

Sony has filed suit against George Hotz -- more commonly known for his work in jailbreaking iPhones -- and a hacker group called "failoverfl0w," accusing both of copyright infringement and other related charges over their work to circumvent Sony's PlayStation 3 copyright protection.

The Japanese game maker is partially at fault here, having failed to use properly secure cryptography in order to ensure that pirated software can not run on the console. Hackers discovered the private key, and now can allow copied versions of games to run on the console without any issues.

Hotz and the others are being charged with breach of contract, several copyright infringement charges, as well as violations of copyright law in the state of California. Sony seeks both injunctive relief and punitive damages.

Wow.  Poor fellow.  That kid is a hero, not to mention an inspiration to humanity, in my book at least.

grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2011, 12:35:11 AM

Just wondering.  What if I bought a second-hand PS3 ?  By doing so I haven't signed any contract with Sony.  I only bought some machine to a guy.

em3rgentOrdr

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2011, 12:45:22 AM

Just wondering.  What if I bought a second-hand PS3 ?  By doing so I haven't signed any contract with Sony.  I only bought some machine to a guy.

Dude...wait a minute here.  I never had to sign any contract when I purchased my PS3 new from the retail store.  It is only when you log into the sony network that you have to "agree" to any ToS.

grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2011, 01:26:59 AM

Dude...wait a minute here.  I never had to sign any contract when I purchased my PS3 new from the retail store.  It is only when you log into the sony network that you have to "agree" to any ToS.

Ok, my bad.

Anonymous

January 13, 2011, 01:28:49 AM

A "tos" isnt worth the paper its written on. This has been shown in court over and over again.

I bought my ps3 fair and square. Sony doesnt own my property now just because they claim they do.

The whole idea of suing your users is retarded. No wonder sony is losing ground.
bit-numismatist

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2011, 01:17:44 AM

Id definitely pay bitcoins for a usb miner for the ps3  Smiley

Even better if its plug and play.  Cheesy

When they added folding@home to the playstation the computational power doubled.

I dont care if its a crap bitcoin miner - thats not the point ...its the sheer weight of numbers Smiley

I join to the request. I have 'fat' PS3 with otherOS enabled and want to install bitcoin client on it.
I'll pay 50 bitcoins for working PS3 usb miner.
skull88

Activity: 683
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 17, 2011, 10:00:39 PM

I immediately got to think about this topic: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=256.0

Than was something like this still SF, now it's possible  Grin
Would be nice a ps3 miner, fatty here is running most of the time while actually doing nothing.

BTC: 1MifMqtqqwMMAbb6zr8u6qEzWqq3CQeGUr
LTC: LhvMYEngkKS2B8FAcbnzHb2dvW8n9eHkdp
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: