Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:19:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Servers for btc  (Read 3401 times)
just a man (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

Partner of UBER GRAB GOCAR

View Profile
January 11, 2011, 01:53:41 PM
Last edit: January 16, 2011, 08:14:44 PM by just a man

Edited, all done.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
altamic

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 11, 2011, 09:18:35 PM

thanks for adding your services to the community
just a man (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2011, 10:52:57 PM

lol

Not really flying to be honest, but thanks for the thanks.Smiley

Sultan

Activity: 214

View Profile
January 14, 2011, 06:48:51 PM

lol

Not really flying to be honest, but thanks for the thanks.Smiley

Do you mean that it isn't profitable?

http://images.onbux.com/banner.gif
I then use the money to buy BitCoins. You can too!
just a man (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 12:43:21 AM

Bump...

The two C-250Gs servers are still available, now 20 btc per month each.Smiley

davux

Activity: 288
Merit: 263

Firstbits.com/1davux

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2011, 02:44:28 AM

Bump...

The two C-250Gs servers are still available, now 20 btc per month each.Smiley

I'd like one please. Where do I send you the first payment? Roll Eyes

1DavuxH9tLqU4c7zvG387aTG4mA7BcRpp2
México (Oaxaca) – France - Leeds
just a man (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 11:08:49 AM

Erm... the roll-eyes smiley suggests to me that you're being sarcastic.  Huh

But if you'd like one then first you pm me, we arrange your access to the server by you creating an account with the server company and me assigning your account as the tech contact for it. Then, you reinstall the server and have emailed the root password. Once you are happy with everything (assuming you are) then you send payment, I consider that to be the beginning of the 1 month agreement.

Any other questions just ask. Wink

davux

Firstbits.com/1davux

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2011, 05:50:26 PM

Erm... the roll-eyes smiley suggests to me that you're being sarcastic.  Huh

True, it could be ambiguous. I wasn't being sarcastic though. I pm'ed you after my message here.

just a man (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2011, 08:14:25 PM

Ok, all gone. Smiley

bencoder

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 16, 2011, 07:39:32 PM

I had a 3 month contract here, starting on the 16th January, so I paid Just A Man 60 bitcoins up front.

After about 2 weeks he told me I could no longer have that server but offered me a much better one, which satisfied me for the inconvenience at having to change.

Yesterday or the day before, he offered the old server back but then changed his mind again and said I could keep the good server.

Today, exactly 1 month in, I get the following email:

All my services have been suspended and I cannot refund you as I had
sold on my bitcoins. If it's any consolation in terms of the trouble
caused to you, I have also lost my job. I am sorry.

While I appreciate his plight and do not wish to make his life any more difficult right now, it is also important for others to know the experience I have had with Just A Man, which went from very good 1 month ago to very bad now. I would have also appreciated an offer of a refund for the remaining 2 months (that is, 40 bitcoins) once he is back on his feet. I attempted to reply with such before I posted this but his email address is now bouncing.
davux

Firstbits.com/1davux

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2011, 08:31:42 PM
Last edit: February 16, 2011, 08:49:05 PM by davux

Today, exactly 1 month in, I get the following email:

All my services have been suspended and I cannot refund you as I had
sold on my bitcoins. If it's any consolation in terms of the trouble
caused to you, I have also lost my job. I am sorry.

Same thing just happened to me. I just paid the 2nd month 2 days ago (the monthly rent is starting on 16th but I wasn't sure I'd be online today), which he accepted without mentioning any possible trouble. And today I got the same message as you on the forum's messagebox. And emails are bouncing, indeed.

bencoder

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 16, 2011, 08:47:04 PM
Last edit: February 16, 2011, 09:03:32 PM by bencoder

Somewhat glad I'm not the only one.

I've also just discovered that he is also lieing, since my 60 bitcoins have not moved from the address that I sent them to (I sent in 2 sets of 30 a week apart):

http://blockexplorer.com/address/15XZ56bmKQkzaw9dd463aGJuxHx2ktzKGe

Which makes me far less sympathetic and far more unhappy.

Edit: Thinking about it, that could have been an mtgox address so i was sending straight to his account, in which case it'd make sense if they weren't spent but still could be sold.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 16, 2011, 11:55:37 PM

So we have a bitcoin bankruptcy.

davux

Firstbits.com/1davux

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2011, 12:00:28 AM

So we have a bitcoin bankruptcy.

We don't. Bencoder's coins are still were he sent them to, they were not redeemed. Same for mine: http://blockexplorer.com/address/1LPD9VD6t1HQ427NRAH316j9sqbQsCTc3n

What we have is fraud.

Mahkul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
February 17, 2011, 12:06:59 AM

Probably using clearcoin for paying him would have been a better idea (setting the expiry period to 30 days each time you pay him). Still, not ideal...
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2011, 12:09:40 AM

So the lesson is: use clearcoin until you begin to trust the person?

Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2011, 01:39:02 AM

I got a server from just a man for a month period when he started over a month or two ago. It went fine, was super happy with the server etc.
Coming up to the second month I pm'ed him asking if we were still ok to continue, he got back to me saying he couldn't. Which was ok, no loss for me I was using it as a high bandwidth i2p node.

Then he got on to me offering more servers, and since I needed hosting for the usercredit rating service were building I thought it was a great deal(it was), 120btc for 6 months.

However, we made an agreement that the entire fee would be paid into clearcoin for the period, and if he broke his end of the agreement he'd lose the payment (if I broke the terms of the hosting contract the same would happen to me).

He made good and set up the server, again I was happy with it. I was about to put the btc into clearcoin when I got the same email as everyone else here.

I really do think the guy lost his job. He was probably an admin at a hosting company and thought he could make some btc on servers that were not being used (without telling his boss). This is why I was able to get a dedicated server for only 10btc that first time, and why the prices were so good. It's also why he's been moving others around onto different servers. Requests came in for the servers and he'd have to move us off them (as we were the illegitemate customers) onto something else temporarily.

I'd say his boss caught him and fired him. Which is understandable.

The end result is that an escrow service should be used at all times, not just with people you don't quite trust. As people, even trustworthy ones get into bad situations that can make them do things they would not otherwise do. Always use escrow, clearcoin is a great example, and it's operated by one of the bitcoin devs, he's got a great reputation. On top of that it's free for transactions below 100btc, so use it why not?

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2011, 01:43:09 AM

I really do think the guy lost his job. He was probably an admin at a hosting company and thought he could make some btc on servers that were not being used (without telling his boss). This is why I was able to get a dedicated server for only 10btc that first time, and why the prices were so good. It's also why he's been moving others around onto different servers. Requests came in for the servers and he'd have to move us off them (as we were the illegitemate customers) onto something else temporarily.

I don't think the possible situation doesn't make anybody trust him more.

Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2011, 01:57:51 AM

I don't think the possible situation doesn't make anybody trust him more.

I'm not saying you should, I'm just adding my own suspicions when I began doing business with him. How else could he offer hosting so cheaply? It's like buying goods from someone on the street for far below what they cost in the shop. You know that if those goods are original then they either stolen or fell off the back of a truck or something.

Bottom line is use escrow for everyone, good bad ugly, whatever, and have a basic agreement, a basic contract. Avoid "gentlemen agreements", because real gentlemen will go through an escrow if you ask for it. And they themselves should be happy for the extra security it provides.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Anonymous

February 17, 2011, 03:39:02 AM

This is why you should invest in the bitcoin credit report agency .  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: