Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:25:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 88 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Network Attack on XVG / VERGE  (Read 29434 times)
remon78eg

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 07:32:32 PM

maybe he attacks the master nodes servers and make them vote to his blocks and reject the others, then the difficulty be low and he can mining alone at near zero difficulty.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Firethorn29

Activity: 2

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 07:39:24 PM

They stole our jibs!! Angry
ocminer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2660
Merit: 1240

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2018, 07:40:18 PM

nice a new version of the famed timewarp attack.. very interesting.

yep.. we pushed a quick fix and most pools have already updated.. we're already working on a whole new block verification process.

we're kinda glad this happened and that it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Hmm, you guys are aware that the "fix" you pushed actually IS a hardfork ? So your blockchain snapshot is not valid anymore, the wallet's won't sync up from scratch anymore and the current chain is simply not usable anymore with that new "fix" ?

Your change simply disagrees with the attackers blocks, the first block I see from the attacker was 2007365 - so the wallets will stop syncing there and simply not progress any further.

I remember your first forking dramas when trying to fork into Tor which failed 2 times IIRC.

You should immediately refrain from that "fix" and set a proper fork-height (at least 48h) and the chain up until the fork block MUST accept blocks with the old timestamps and blocks after that fork block then only with the new timestamp.

suprnova pools - reliable mining pools - #suprnova on freenet
https://www.suprnova.cc - FOLLOW us @ Twitter ! twitter.com/SuprnovaPools
bubbagump

Activity: 104
Merit: 3

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 07:41:22 PM

They stole our jibs!! Angry

They're still stealing our jibs!!

FTFY
lotfiuser

Activity: 1249
Merit: 295

Palestine

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2018, 07:43:33 PM

if im not wrong they fixed it bug could be happen on any coin even bitcoin so lets  not blame them for bug lets blame them for not fixing it so fast

Free palestine
asmodat

Activity: 38
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2018, 07:46:31 PM

RIP
LinuxDude

Activity: 8

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 07:47:14 PM

maybe he attacks the master nodes servers and make them vote to his blocks and reject the others, then the difficulty be low and he can mining alone at near zero difficulty.

XVG doesn't use masternodes.
jamesdavidso2

Activity: 17

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 07:48:30 PM

VER "shitcoin" GE
MundaneGatt

Activity: 2

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 08:01:32 PM

the XVG community and Sunerok are assholes, i got kicked from their discord just for asking question, legit questions about a possible audit, y they made a crowdfund to release this info, then said we cant release for 3 weeks, cause NDA, and i was like well y do a crowdfund if u knew u couldn't disclose. i was called all sorts of names, FUDster was a nice one, and kicked. the XVG community and developers are shady, and theyre also assholes
ppl came to him about this attack when it was occurring, they were given the same treatment on forums. im not saying XVG isn't gonna go anywhere, but if it does, its gonna be in spite of its devs and community, which makes u question the currency
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViW-6GhYy4Q
BillionDollarMan

Activity: 210
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 08:01:48 PM

The vergeDEV @ Discord says "everything is okay - there's nothing to fix"..

Since about 99% blocks by legit pools are rejected - and the dev team is not able to understand this problem, i'm closing and removing all VERGE pools from suprnova.

It could be Verge team it self. Perfect excuse for not living up to expectations after begging for partnership crap.
Ai7xpressTV

Activity: 430
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 08:02:44 PM

The explorer shows it's going on right now.
Where do you exactly see that? Would be nice to get some more information about how you detect these attacks using a block explorer.
darkly spectre

Activity: 308
Merit: 107

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 08:07:16 PM

the XVG community and Sunerok are assholes, i got kicked from their discord just for asking question, legit questions about a possible audit, y they made a crowdfund to release this info, then said we cant release for 3 weeks, cause NDA, and i was like well y do a crowdfund if u knew u couldn't disclose. i was called all sorts of names, FUDster was a nice one, and kicked. the XVG community and developers are shady, and theyre also assholes
ppl came to him about this attack when it was occurring, they were given the same treatment on forums. im not saying XVG isn't gonna go anywhere, but if it does, its gonna be in spite of its devs and community, which makes u question the currency
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViW-6GhYy4Q

yeah sunerok IS a huge arrogant cunt. the community is so stockholm syndrome'd he literally can't do anything wrong. just look at this topic and the wave of new accounts going "LOL FUD VERGE IS GOD"
bubbagump

Activity: 104
Merit: 3

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 08:08:30 PM

The explorer shows it's going on right now.
Where do you exactly see that? Would be nice to get some more information about how you detect these attacks using a block explorer.

https://verge-blockchain.info/  Look at the timestamps.  I don't have a node running so I don't know if it's the hacker going at it or if there's an issue with that website.  I'm just assuming that it's the hacker since what's being shown on the site is exactly what ocminer described in the OP.
ocminer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2018, 08:13:44 PM

yep.. we pushed a quick fix and most pools have already updated.. we're already working on a whole new block verification process.

Hmm, you guys are aware that the "fix" you pushed actually IS a hardfork ? So your blockchain snapshot is not valid anymore, the wallet's won't sync up from scratch anymore and the current chain is simply not usable anymore with that new "fix" ?

Your change simply disagrees with the attackers blocks, the first block I see from the attacker was 2007365 - so the wallets will stop syncing there and simply not progress any further.

I remember your first forking dramas when trying to fork into Tor which failed 2 times IIRC.

You should immediately refrain from that "fix" and set a proper fork-height (at least 48h) and the chain up until the fork block MUST accept blocks with the old timestamps and blocks after that fork block then only with the new timestamp.

bumping this for awareness

BlackCon2018

Activity: 3

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 08:14:42 PM

I couldn't agree more that the XVG community is filled with retards. All they do in the chat is post memes and troll other people. And when the facts are presented they scream at you that you're a FUDster... A bunch of delusional kids thinking XVG will make them rich. When lambo? - they say!
buzzkillb

Activity: 1021
Merit: 324

View Profile
April 04, 2018, 08:16:30 PM

XVG hodlers should be thanking you for this info.  Cool I hope this get this fixed soon, as it sucks in general for crypto.
aciddude

Activity: 179
Merit: 27

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2018, 08:28:51 PM

how can we verify the hardfork ?

FTC API + Block Explorer https://fsight.chain.tips
ocminer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2018, 08:30:29 PM

how can we verify the hardfork ?

just download an updated wallet which includes the "fix" - then download the blockchain snapshot and try to sync up to the latest block...it will get stuck at 2007364

phm87

Activity: 172
Merit: 101

Mining pool operator @ https://www.unimining.net

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2018, 08:31:18 PM

Thank you ocminer, I hope that dev coin team will fix this problem and warn pools in a timely manner if a fork should be done. i'd be happy that we revert the coins mined by the attacker.

⚠️🚀 https://www.unimining.net 🚀⚠️ Low fee, multi algo pool | 2 hr payout | No registration required. ⚠️🚀 https://www.unimining.net 🚀⚠️
ocminer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2018, 08:34:47 PM

Thank you ocminer, I hope that dev coin team will fix this problem and warn pools in a timely manner if a fork should be done. i'd be happy that we revert the coins mined by the attacker.

From what I know they won't roll back and just move on.. However, they still must do the hardfork in a proper way

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 88 »
  Print  

Jump to: