Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:10:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the best ATI driver for Ubuntu?  (Read 29361 times)
Mahkul (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 03:40:51 PM

Could anyone tell me what driver to use for ATI HD5850 under Ubuntu to use it for mining?

I found out there are (at least) two options: fglrx or xserver xorg

Currently I have the official fglrx driver, but I read that the open source one is better?

Is there any step-by-step guide for starting to mine with GPU on Ubuntu using ATI as there is one for nVidia? I couldn't find anything on the forum.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Raulo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 11, 2011, 04:22:26 PM

Currently I have the official fglrx driver, but I read that the open source one is better?

Open source one does not support OpenCL.

Is there any step-by-step guide for starting to mine with GPU on Ubuntu using ATI as there is one for nVidia? I couldn't find anything on the forum.

I'd recommend this wiki:
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu

Ubuntu X Team's PPA packages are good and easy to install

You need also SDK (2.1 is the best).

1HAoJag4C3XtAmQJAhE9FTAAJWFcrvpdLM
humble

Activity: 91
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 01:13:09 AM
Last edit: March 21, 2011, 05:31:56 PM by humble

Been meaning to write this up for a little while now so here it is (assuming the box is all built with ATI card(s) installed):

1. Install Ubuntu (10.10)
2. Remove the drivers it will automatically install that will conflict:

sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx*
sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon

3. Re-install some prerequisites (not sure if they are needed but it doesn't hurt - java is definitely needed for Diablo):

sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre

4. Install the proprietary ATI driver you can find here by:

chmod +x <file_you_just_downloaded.run>
sudo ./<file_you_just_downloaded.run>

When it asks you if you want to build a package for your distribution or just install the defaults, go with the defaults.

5. Open a terminal and enter:

sudo aticonfig --initial --adapter=all

This will create a working xorg.conf file. If this doesn't work you will have to re-boot first. In any event re-boot after you have created this file so that you will be running using the proprietary ATI Catalyst driver.

6. Download and install the OpenCL dev and runtime packages (i386 or AMD64).

7. Log out and then back in to initialize the OpenCL libraries. If you have more than one GPU you will have to issue:

export DISPLAY=:0

in order for all your GPUs to be seen by your mining software.

8. Download and untar Bitcoin. Look in bin/<your_arch>/ to find bitcoind. Start it. Use ./bitcoind getinfo to confirm you have the blockchain and some connections to the network. If it's your first time running it you will need to set an RPC user and password that your GPU miner will need to authorize with. To do this create a 2 line file at ~/.bitcoin/bitcoin.conf that contains rpcuser=<your_RPC_username> for the first line and rpcpassword=<your_RPC_password> for the second.

9. Download your mining software. I only have experience with Diablo. Start it up by running:

./Diablominer-Linux.sh -w128 -u <your_RPC_username> -p <your_RPC_password>

You can also throw an "f" value in there to control the interactivity of your desktop.

If you wish to try m0mchil's Python-based miner hit this thread and follow the instructions beginning at the line that says "Download PyOpenCL".

You should see your miner start showing you a hash value!

PROFIT ;-)

If you wish you may want to overclock your card. I pushed my clock speed to max and left the memory at stock.

Please let me know if this sequence doesn't work as this is all from memory. I'm happy to troubleshoot your setup, such as I am able, and revise these notes. I get about 343Mh/s (w/ Diablominer and -f1) from a 5870 using this.

edited with feedback from users of this guide
Mahkul (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 01:18:09 AM

@humble

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3359.0

If you wrote this yesterday you would have earned yourself 50 BTC. Smiley
humble

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 01:23:24 AM

@humble

Darn! That'll teach me for staring at bitcoincharts.com all day ;-)

Mine is better... much shorter.

Mahkul (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 01:26:28 AM

@humble

Darn! That'll teach me for staring at bitcoincharts.com all day ;-)

Mine is better... much shorter.

I may use your services next time. Smiley

Currently I am struggling with installing my audio interface (TASCAM US-144) on Ubuntu. Would you know much about that?
humble

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 01:36:01 AM

I may use your services next time. Smiley

Currently I am struggling with installing my audio interface (TASCAM US-144) on Ubuntu. Would you know much about that?

Possibly... I've had a couple of epic battles with sound cards, most recently the Xonar Essence in my media server. I'll PM you.
dingus

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 14, 2011, 08:25:33 PM

Been meaning to write this up for a little while now so here it is (assuming the box is all built with ATI card installed):

3. Re-install some prerequisites (not sure if they are needed but it doesn't hurt - java is definitely needed for Diablo):

sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core

When it asks you if you want to build a package for your distribution or just install the defaults, go with the defaults.

sudo aticonfig --initial

This will create a working xorg.conf file. If this doesn't work you will have to re-boot first. In any event re-boot after you have created this file so that you will be running using the proprietary ATI Catalyst driver.

7. Log out and then back in to initialize the OpenCL libraries.

8. Download and untar Bitcoin. Look in bin/<your_arch>/ to find bitcoind. Start it. Use ./bitcoind getinfo to confirm you have the blockchain and some connections to the network. If it's your first time running it you will need to set an RPC user and password that your GPU miner will need to authorize with. To do this create a 2 line file at ~/.bitcoin/bitcoin.conf that contains rpcuser=<your_RPC_username> for the first line and rpcpassword=<your_RPC_password> for the second.

9. Download your miner. I only have experience with Diablo. Start it up by running:

./Diablominer-Linux.sh -w64 -u <your_RPC_username> -p <your_RPC_password>

You can also throw an "f" value in there to control the interactivity of your desktop.

PROFIT ;-)

If you wish you may want to overclock your card. I pushed my clock speed to max and left the memory at stock.

Please let me know if this sequence doesn't work as this is all from memory. I'm happy to troubleshoot your setup, such as I am able, and revise these notes. I get about 343Mh/s from a 5870 using this.

Do you know whether or not this is exclusive to 10.10? I am going to try it on 9.10.

ding·us/ˈdiNGgəs/
Noun: Used to refer to something whose name the speaker cannot remember, is unsure of, or is humorously or euphemistically omitting
humble

View Profile
February 14, 2011, 08:55:57 PM
Last edit: February 15, 2011, 05:06:51 PM by humble

Do you know whether or not this is exclusive to 10.10? I am going to try it on 9.10.

I'm sorry but I don't know if it will work under 9.10 or not. Is there a particular reason you are running 9.10? I would recommend at least upgrading to 10.04 (LTS) and then trying. In any event please let us know how it works out for you.
lfm

Activity: 196
Merit: 104

View Profile
February 17, 2011, 12:08:38 PM

One thing I have found is do not do "apt-get upgrade" on ubuntu 10-10! My ati 10-12 drivers quit working and X will no longer start if I apply all the current upgrades. I am not sure which patch(es) actually cause the trouble but this is the only way I can keep the drivers running on my systems.

humble

View Profile
February 19, 2011, 12:42:16 AM

One thing I have found is do not do "apt-get upgrade" on ubuntu 10-10! My ati 10-12 drivers quit working and X will no longer start if I apply all the current upgrades. I am not sure which patch(es) actually cause the trouble but this is the only way I can keep the drivers running on my systems.

Hmm... you don't want to run a system that you can't update. I'm about to setup another box with a 5970 and will step through these directions again to make sure they are all kosher. There shouldn't be an issue with updates. If you need to get your desktop back boot into recovery and issue:

aticonfig --initial --adapter=all

to have it rebuild your xorg.conf file.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2347

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
March 10, 2011, 10:30:56 PM

Humble:

Can confirm that an update crashes the drivers and Xserver hangs on restart using these instructions, basically unrecoverable even with system rescue.

Also, in the line

the link to "dev" does not go to development package but only to the i386 runtime package. The dev package you can find here http://orwell.fiit.stuba.sk/~nou/ati-opencl-dev_2.1.deb

but if you use the dev package and not the full SDK for installing OpenCL then when you get to here:

"If you wish to try m0mchil's Python-based miner hit this thread (http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3359.0) and follow the instructions beginning at the line that says "Download PyOpenCL"."

You'll have to change the pyopencl ./configure instruction

"$ ./configure.py --cl-inc-dir=/opt/ati-stream-sdk-v2.1-lnx64/include/ --cl-lib-dir=/opt/ati-stream-sdk-v2.1-lnx64/lib/x86_64"

since those directories will not exist at that point .... unless you've done the SDK install separately, which incidentally does not make -lOpenCL library call available by default, that can be got by doing the dev install.

Messy.

humble

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 05:38:23 PM

Humble:

Can confirm that an update crashes the drivers and Xserver hangs on restart using these instructions, basically unrecoverable even with system rescue.

Also, in the line

the link to "dev" does not go to development package but only to the i386 runtime package. The dev package you can find here http://orwell.fiit.stuba.sk/~nou/ati-opencl-dev_2.1.deb

but if you use the dev package and not the full SDK for installing OpenCL then when you get to here:

"If you wish to try m0mchil's Python-based miner hit this thread (http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3359.0) and follow the instructions beginning at the line that says "Download PyOpenCL"."

You'll have to change the pyopencl ./configure instruction

"$ ./configure.py --cl-inc-dir=/opt/ati-stream-sdk-v2.1-lnx64/include/ --cl-lib-dir=/opt/ati-stream-sdk-v2.1-lnx64/lib/x86_64"

since those directories will not exist at that point .... unless you've done the SDK install separately, which incidentally does not make -lOpenCL library call available by default, that can be got by doing the dev install.

Messy.

System crash on update? Ouch. I have not experienced that. I have experienced having to re-install the proprietary AMD Catalyst driver after a kernel update but only on my 64 bit systems.

Thanks for the note about the link to the dev package. Updated.

And again thanks for the update about changing the configure instructions. I hadn't used poclbm at the time I write this so hadn't stepped through the required steps for different architectures. Hopefully someone finding this thread in the future will be helped by this. 

cheers.
Randall Flagg

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 02:47:18 AM

I am not sure that i should have tried your tutorial Smiley

after the: sudo aticonfig --initial --adapter=all

I rebooted, and i cannot see anything now... even after a recovery, i took the backup file of the xorg.conf and rebooted, but nada, same thing,

I have 11.04 !  So i am downloading 10.10 now to see if it make a difference ...
pandemic

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 04:36:22 AM

Been meaning to write this up for a little while now so here it is (assuming the box is all built with ATI card(s) installed):

sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core

sudo aticonfig --initial --adapter=all

7. Log out and then back in to initialize the OpenCL libraries. If you have more than one GPU you will have to issue:

export DISPLAY=:0

in order for all your GPUs to be seen by your mining software.

9. Download your mining software. I only have experience with Diablo. Start it up by running:

./Diablominer-Linux.sh -w128 -u <your_RPC_username> -p <your_RPC_password>

If you wish to try m0mchil's Python-based miner hit this thread and follow the instructions beginning at the line that says "Download PyOpenCL".

PROFIT ;-)

Please let me know if this sequence doesn't work as this is all from memory. I'm happy to troubleshoot your setup, such as I am able, and revise these notes. I get about 343Mh/s (w/ Diablominer and -f1) from a 5870 using this.

edited with feedback from users of this guide

I don't understand what you have to do with this:

Where do you create the file?
AngelusWebDesign

Activity: 392

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 05:19:06 AM

Open source one does not support OpenCL.

I'd recommend this wiki:
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu

Ubuntu X Team's PPA packages are good and easy to install

You need also SDK (2.1 is the best).

SDK 2.1 being the best is a popular misconception. Maybe for some older cards, but if you have a 6XXX series card you have to use 2.4 or it won't recognize your card.

I had this problem myself -- I had to go to 2.4 and it caused me to waste a lot of time on my "mining hobby" that I shouldn't have.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: