Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:06:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux Mining Pool Server?  (Read 9873 times)
mwpher (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 19, 2011, 03:09:31 AM

Hey all,

I was hoping to set up a small mining pool for me and some friends to pitch in on. I was wanting to run a server for the pool on my low-powered netbook (I already use it for other server tasks) running Lubuntu 10.04. However, I am unable to find a proper server to run on Linux -- specifically, a server for puddinpop's RPC clients would be good, though whatever system that works with GPUs is fine. I wasn't sure if I was missing something obvious here, but I've been researching for a while with absolutely no results. I was particularly wanting to use this mining system, as one of my friends who would be participating is in a really rough financial situation.

Thanks,
--Matt
@mwpher on Twitter
Bitcoin link ready upon request

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 19, 2011, 10:09:44 AM

I was hoping to set up a small mining pool for me and some friends to pitch in on. I was wanting to run a server for the pool on my low-powered netbook (I already use it for other server tasks) running Lubuntu 10.04. However, I am unable to find a proper server to run on Linux -- specifically, a server for puddinpop's RPC clients would be good, though whatever system that works with GPUs is fine. I wasn't sure if I was missing something obvious here, but I've been researching for a while with absolutely no results. I was particularly wanting to use this mining system, as one of my friends who would be participating is in a really rough financial situation.
I think the only open source mining pool server that works with standard getwork clients is jgarzik's pool.py. You can find a link to it in this thread:

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3078.0

It's not a complete solution in that you'll have to read the code to work out how to use it and set up the database it needs. A non-getwork solution is puddinpop's server and clients:

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1458.0

This is what I used to run when I was running a pool.
JA37

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 22, 2011, 01:36:30 PM

How much bandwidth is required per client?

Ponzi me: http://fxnet.bitlex.org/?ref=588
Thanks to the anonymous person who doubled my BTC wealth by sending 0.02 BTC to: 1BSGbFq4G8r3uckpdeQMhP55ScCJwbvNnG
Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2011, 02:37:59 PM

~100byte * clients /5 second

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2011, 02:29:22 PM

Hmm, too bad they closed that testing pool. I would've loved to setup my own pool. I guess I'll keep a close eye on the threads to see if something maybe comes up.

martok

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 07:07:45 PM

jgarzik has also written pushpoold which I am using for internal use. It needs work to get going but it's a nice solution and is written in C. It supports long polling and binary protocol if/when that takes off.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 07:21:18 PM
Last edit: April 04, 2011, 07:41:31 PM by jgarzik

jgarzik has also written pushpoold which I am using for internal use. It needs work to get going but it's a nice solution and is written in C. It supports long polling and binary protocol if/when that takes off.

Yep.

FWIW, pushpoold is part of my weekend project -- xf2.org -- which will be offering private bitcoind node hosting, and private pool server hosting.

All this will be available via an automated system "soon", but the basic backbone and infrastructure is up and running.  If anyone has an immediate need for bitcoind or pool server hosting, PM me.  I can setup something up manually, until our automated system is complete.

Tentative prices (per month):

5 BTC - Pool server, max 50 workers
     5 BTC - Private bitcoin P2P node (aka private wallet), max 1000 RPC requests per day
     8 BTC - Private bitcoin P2P node + pool server, all you need to service a small, friends-only bitcoin mining pool

Private nodes are connected exclusively to xf2.org's P2P backbone, providing an insulating layer away from the public net.

Our server farm, with servers in the US and EU -- real servers, not VPS's -- can also accomodate public pool servers and public bitcoin P2P nodes, but those prices are much higher, due to increased resource usage and increased risk of DDoS.  PM me, if you want a quote.  Paypal-USD is accepted too, with the proviso that you must pre-pay a year in advance.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: