Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 07:32:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Coingen.io scam  (Read 8044 times)
masterfred (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 04:53:46 AM

Just a warming for everyone, this is a scam, 0 support, no reply, no email, no info, nothing.

You get a zip of some source that has been ran by a search and replace with the name of your coin.

You can't even mine it. Just lost 0.2 btc to it.

And this guys looks to be from this forum, what a shame ...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
foodies123

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 06:47:00 AM

hah

nope
chickenliver55

Activity: 56

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 07:24:45 AM

yea it a scam i try making a coin too and the block database wont load but i only got scamed .02 so i am a little mad
bettercoinpool

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 09:33:00 PM

anti-scam BUMP!

squavez

Activity: 5

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:24:22 PM

Definitely a scam. I sent .20 BTC for a custom coin and source. Coingen did not include any of the parameters I input on the site in the source code, it simply copied the Bitcoin source without making any changes and slapped my logo on the wallet. After a number of emails to Matt Corallo requesting a fix or refund, I received neither. Not even a response. Way to pay back the bitcoin community Matt. Thanks a lot.
extro24

Activity: 481
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 04:45:08 PM

So it is just the Bitcoin source with a new magic number, new port and new genesis block?

LiteBit
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1050

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 03:59:07 AM
Last edit: January 12, 2014, 04:27:48 AM by LiteBit

Why is this a scam? Because they aren't holding your hand through the whole process? They aren't advertising to be your "development team". If you can't start the genesis block of your own coin should you even deserve to create it?

They deliver their advertised product, albeit it's hastily done in 30 min or so. That gives you a copied Bitcoin 0.8.6 client (which you can download for free from GitHub). A new logo pasted on the GUI (which you could swap out in less than 1 min in your directory). And they change a handful of key parameters in a couple source files that you could also change in 5-10 minutes if you know how to type in a search bar.

All that is clearly visible on their site. Your laziness combined with their simple copy-paste products doesn't = scam. It equates to you being lazy and paying someone else to copy and paste files for you at a rate of $400/hr. Great business sense on their end if you ask me.

Get over it and learn something about your new coin "you created". Hint: start with a search on "generating the genesis block"
loquitus_of_borg

Activity: 50

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 01:17:55 PM

Their code is broken, quite simply.

Some of us have actually tried to fix the code and get this crappy thing to work. No go.

And if you were able to, bravo! That don't make it sensible to ship a piece of crap most people can't use.

Why is this a scam? Because they aren't holding your hand through the whole process? They aren't advertising to be your "development team". If you can't start the genesis block of your own coin should you even deserve to create it?

They deliver their advertised product, albeit it's hastily done in 30 min or so. That gives you a copied Bitcoin 0.8.6 client (which you can download for free from GitHub). A new logo pasted on the GUI (which you could swap out in less than 1 min in your directory). And they change a handful of key parameters in a couple source files that you could also change in 5-10 minutes if you know how to type in a search bar.

All that is clearly visible on their site. Your laziness combined with their simple copy-paste products doesn't = scam. It equates to you being lazy and paying someone else to copy and paste files for you at a rate of $400/hr. Great business sense on their end if you ask me.

Get over it and learn something about your new coin "you created". Hint: start with a search on "generating the genesis block"
masterfred (OP)

Activity: 16

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:49:00 AM

A scam is something that people think are buying and not receiving. Sure it was naive from all of us, but I think we all searched on coingen and Matt before buying ... being confident enough to send some BTC his way, hoping for a minimal instruction. The biggest part of the scam is his silence towards all his clients. Depending on wich part of the world you live, everything comes with a warranty of somekind.

How long would it have taken him to write a short post or tutorial on how to use this product ? He own everybody a minimal respect. We trusted him enough to buy his product, he should show a little be a respect towards us.
kalus

Activity: 420
Merit: 263

let's make a deal.

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 05:08:17 AM
Last edit: January 15, 2014, 05:19:40 AM by kalus

The biggest part of the scam is his silence towards all his clients. Depending on wich part of the world you live, everything comes with a warranty of somekind.
if 'silence' is 'the biggest part of the scam', there's nothing to see here.

above all other products, 'software' comes with no expressed or implied warranty.  ever try to get money from microsoft to compensate you when windows crashes?

And do you have any other evidence, or is lack of 'respect' enough to be considered a scammer?

DC2ngEGbd1ZUKyj8aSzrP1W5TXs5WmPuiR wow need noms
firl21

Activity: 22

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 07:45:24 AM

yes, but in the us, a product must work as intended. this even goes past all sales are final signs. if you buy a knife that docent cut at an all sales are final shop. you have a legal right to a refund. if they refuse you can sue them for lawyer fees. Why lawyer fees? they are "stubbornly litigious"
LiteBit
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1050

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:40:53 PM

If you're waiting for Matt to respond "or something" you're barking up the wrong tree. He sold the thing a couple of days after releasing it. You'll probably get more luck from asking the new owner.
plaxant

Activity: 100

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 11:28:16 PM

We're extremely happy with our coingen experience. After reading a lot of documentation I've been more than happy to have a large chunk of the leg work done.

nzgrant

Activity: 97

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 11:55:36 PM

You can indeed mine the coingen coins, I did.  But you do have to do some setting up yourself.  You do know that your coin needs to be running on more than 1 computer and that you will need an 'addnode' line in there as well??
kalus

Activity: 420
Merit: 263

let's make a deal.

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 01:17:43 AM

We're extremely happy with our coingen experience. After reading a lot of documentation I've been more than happy to have a large chunk of the leg work done.
wow didn't know galtcoin was a coingen.  coingen does work!

DC2ngEGbd1ZUKyj8aSzrP1W5TXs5WmPuiR wow need noms
plaxant

Activity: 100

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2014, 05:37:51 PM

It absolutely does work. What I've run into is most people who buy the coingen service don't know there's a lot more to starting a coin besides getting some code compiled.

LjudevitP

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 01:11:38 PM

It absolutely does work. What I've run into is most people who buy the coingen service don't know there's a lot more to starting a coin besides getting some code compiled.

Dear all,
I think it is a scam afterall. Paid 0,2 BTC 6 days ago, and still nothing is delivered. Anyone who wants to go to coingen, please check this post. I will also put update if I get my coin. Until then, it's really anoying to watch messsage:

Coingen

We received your request to create xxxxxxxxxxx.

The monkeys, however, are waiting for 0.16 BTC to be sent to  before they start building....
There were more than 25 confirmations in less than an hour, so I believe it's pretty much a ripoff

Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 01:51:12 PM

Oh, the irony!  Grin

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
LjudevitP

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 02:38:06 PM

got the coingen coin after 7 days,
With little aditional work it is functional

TheMightyX

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 06:28:16 AM

You fucking leeches make me sick.
You are not helping the industry with your copycat coins.
It is only cluttering up the place for those coins that are actually unique or offer something new to the community.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: