Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 06:50:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin stole my weekend!  (Read 7164 times)
nextnonce (OP)

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

www.minethings.com

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2011, 08:42:16 PM

A friend of mine introduced me to bitcoins a couple weeks ago and while skeptical at first, I was interested enough to look into it further.  I'm a huge fan of alternative currencies, especially considering the gross mismanagement of the USD and other fiat currencies. 

Two weeks.  That's all it took for me to go from a skeptic to sold.  "Sold" as in, spent-the-weekend-integrating-bitcoins-into-my-website sold (I used mybitcoin.com's nifty little shopping cart interface tool and tested it with my 0.05 faucet BTC).

My site is a browser-based MMO that draws many parallels to the bitcoin concept.  The big one is that all the in-game money is mined, requiring an expenditure of effort in the form of opportunity cost.  This gives the money a real value in the game compared to most MMOs where gold mostly trickles in automatically. 

Already my users are very interested in this "new mine" I've introduced that allows non-USD-paying players a chance to mine for valuable in-game capital using their CPU.  I'm very glad to have found bitcoin.org and am grateful for the opportunity to help promote it.  Thanks for reading.

BTC accepted at my browser-based MMO, Minethings.com.  ~1500 active players mining now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ryepdx

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 15, 2011, 08:49:28 PM

Awesome! I'm going to have to go check out that MMO. :-)

Glad to have you onboard.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5166
Merit: 12864

View Profile
March 15, 2011, 08:59:08 PM

That game looks fun. I might give it a try.

Hopefully you informed your users that the chance of winning a block without joining a pool is very low.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
nextnonce (OP)

www.minethings.com

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2011, 09:29:57 PM

Yes, I did say that it's a bit like mining for an orange, which is the rarest type of thing you can find in the game.  A few users have already looked into joining mining pools and are sharing that information with each other. 

BTC accepted at my browser-based MMO, Minethings.com.  ~1500 active players mining now.
ericbomb

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 15, 2011, 09:33:26 PM

Hey I'm one of those players, thanks japhet (thats what we call him over there) I'm sold on this too. Even trying something fun with bitcoins that I talked about in the off topic forums...

Anyway this is a cool thing you guys have I'm sad I didn't get in on it sooner.
AllYourBase

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 15, 2011, 09:54:51 PM

This game is cool; thanks for accepting bitcoins!  The more vendors the better!  Grin
Sultan

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 15, 2011, 10:46:17 PM

I just started on your game, I'm liking it so far!

http://images.onbux.com/banner.gif
I then use the money to buy BitCoins. You can too!
JohnDoe

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 15, 2011, 11:46:44 PM

I don't get it. How are you profiting if your users are mining independently? At first I thought you had set up a pool and gave out in-game gold in exchange for keeping the mined bitcoins to yourself but that doesn't seem to be the case.
nextnonce (OP)

www.minethings.com

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2011, 11:56:47 PM

Players mine independently for bitcoins and then trade with me in exchange for in-game credits.  Previously the only way to get credits was via PayPal.

fatcom4

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2011, 12:06:03 AM

Hi! I'm also a member on that site and though I didn't try the bitcoins feature because I'm 10 and there's a password that my parents have to type in before I install anything(and they make sure it's "appropriate" before they type it in), it sounds cool and if I somehow manage to install it somewhere, then
yay!
Dang this marquee thing is cool... Grin    
JohnDoe

Activity: 392

View Profile
March 16, 2011, 12:13:32 AM

Players mine independently for bitcoins and then trade with me in exchange for in-game credits.  Previously the only way to get credits was via PayPal.

Oh ok, so just a regular payment method. The "new mine" thing made me think it was a pool.

Btw, your game looks very cool. I would try it out but I'm scared it might be addicting.
Anonymous

March 16, 2011, 12:45:04 AM

I was attracted to the pretty graphics up front.

Then when it came to geeky in-game jargon -- I ran away.
Cryptoman

Activity: 726

View Profile
March 16, 2011, 02:07:43 AM

I checked out your site.  Really cool.  I'll probably never have time to play, but it's great having you as part of the Bitcoin team.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
Distribution

Activity: 711

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
March 16, 2011, 02:33:34 AM

It sounds like you started just like me. A friend posted on Facebook about an anonymous and decentralized virtual currency, and ever since then I have spent hours a day learning more. I've purchased two video cards to start mining and I have offered some things for sale for Bitcoins (although not through my site...yet).
FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2011, 02:37:41 AM

Hi! I'm also a member on that site and though I didn't try the bitcoins feature because I'm 10 and there's a password that my parents have to type in before I install anything(and they make sure it's "appropriate" before they type it in), it sounds cool and if I somehow manage to install it somewhere, then
yay!
You don't really have to install bitcoin. Just download the .exe and double click on it. Hopefully it will work. That said, you probably won't generate any bitcoins in the near future because the network already has lots of people competing for them.

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
ryepdx

Activity: 714

View Profile
March 16, 2011, 02:42:22 AM

yay!
You don't really have to install bitcoin. Just download the .exe and double click on it. Hopefully it will work. That said, you probably won't generate any bitcoins in the near future because the network already has lots of people competing for them.

If he's running Windows 7 they might have it set up to keep programs downloaded from the Internet from running or writing to the hard drive until approved by the administrator.
FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2011, 02:56:25 AM

There's got to be a way. Try putting a fine layer of dust on the key board. Get your parents to type in the password to install something appropriate. When they go away, look at the fingerprints to figure out what letters they've typed. Now, make an educated guess as to what the password is.

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5166
Merit: 12864

View Profile
March 16, 2011, 03:05:39 AM

You can give yourself admin access from outside of Windows with this:
http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

There's no security when the attacker (you Wink) has physical access to the machine while it is being used.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Anonymous

March 16, 2011, 03:35:20 AM

yay!
If you are really 10, I have a word of advice for you:never let your curiosity die. Explore and learn all you can. You have pretty much all the time in the world and you are already self-aware. Time is a commodity and you have it in the distilled form known as youth.
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
March 16, 2011, 03:40:51 AM

On another note, I'd recommend just telling your parents what it is and point them toward bitcoin.org. It's not a malicious program or anything so you should be able to get permission pretty easily.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: