Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:07:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: We're All Criminals According to MSI  (Read 18253 times)
6strings (OP)

Activity: 441
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 12:00:49 AM
Last edit: February 05, 2014, 01:16:00 AM by 6strings

Apparently MSI thinks we're all criminals. Bitcoin and Bitcoin mining is "illegal" according to their forums.

I go there asking for assistance on fan replacement and aftermarket cooling solutions that current MSI gpu users are using and get blacklisted for mentioning "mining".

"Bit mining is a very questionable activity. Who knows where the money comes from, much less what the data or the cryptography is actually used for. It is well known for hiding money for both corrupt and  terroristic purposes. "

Lol.

What?

This is the post:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=177493.0

Here is a quick summary of the exchange, including PMs.

Me: I bought 4 MSI cards back in Dec, 2x270x and 2x280x. 3 out of 4 of my cards have issues already with regards to fans. Grinding, noisy, and stuck. Yes my system is clean and I've tried canned air on them numerous times. From what I've been reading the fans are just poor quality in general when it comes to heavy users like us miners. Rather than ship these off for RMA which will take 3 months and result in a huge loss mining I'd like to just replace the fans myself. Not concerned about warranty. I'll happily give that up. The cards paid for themselves long ago.
Since I can probably buy 10 sets of fans for the cost of shipping the cards back I'd much rather that route Smiley
Can I get the part # for the fans please? Or could someone please point me in the right direction for a similar fan that would fit without any modifications?
Alternatively if there are any good 2slot aftermarket coolers that fit these gpus please let me know.
Its a shame the fans are so bad on these cards cause they perform extremely well otherwise. MSI pls take note.
Another Forum User referencing rules: Don’t…
Ask for help on shady or illegal activities such as password hacking, software piracy or bitcoin/crypto mining ______________________________________________
Mod response after repeat harassment of above forum user:
"I'll make this simple. They linked you to technical support. That's all we can do. If you don't want to follow the forum rules you agreed to when you made an account, then that is your choice, but you were warned by them, now you've been warned by me. There are plenty of online retailers that sell aftermarket coolers. A simple Google search or amazon search will yield numerous results. That's as much help as anyone here can provide. With that, I'm closing this flame thread, as we do not support 'mining, bitcoining, or other questionable activities'.
The next time I see something like this from you, 6strings, I will be forced to take real action."
Threatening me?
Now to PMs.
Me: Please tell me what rule I broke.
I wasn't asking about Bitcoin mining whatsoever.
I am asking about the fans on the cards I have, and what aftermarket coolers users may be using.
Is this against the rules in anyway?
Mod:
ou clearly stated in your post what you were using them for. We clearly state in our rules we will not support bit mining in any way. You want new fans? You can either contract MSI for RMAs or find some after market coolers. As I stated, Google will produce some results, as will amazon.
Bit mining is a very questionable activity. Who knows where the money comes from, much less what the data or the cryptography is actually used for. It is well known for hiding money for both corrupt and terroristic purposes. While you may not be using it for this purpose, doesn't mean others don't. Which is why this forum follows this stance.
Me: I'm sorry you lack a proper understanding of Bitcoin. You are grossly misinformed I'm afraid. I suggest you do some research on the subject. Much has changed and the public perception is not clouded by false judgments anymore. It is widely accepted. Even major Tech retailers like Tigerdirect accept it and sell mining specific equipment. There are sites like Gyft.com where you can buy a gift card for just about any major retailer with bitcoin. Fully legit site supported by those retailers. Banning talk about Bitcoin is no different than banning talk about Paypal or Credit cards at this point in its evolution.
I'll be happy to steer you in the right direction. We're good honest hard working folks. There is no "nefarious hashing". Bitcoin itself is open source. See for yourself. Where these crazy notions came from I have no idea but they are completely false and misguided. Its quite sad really. A lot of bright people have missed the boat on something big because of this nonsense. Come visit our communities. bitcointalk.org a good place to start. Take a look around. Ask questions. Or pop into MCXNOW.com and have a chat with us. I'm there often and so are many other good people. We're building a new world here and everyone is invited to be part of it. No need to be so dismissive.
The majority of issues with crime and Bitcoin come from hackers or con-artists. This has nothing to do with the coin itself. Much like the early days of Ebay. Ebay wasn't scamming folks but criminals were using Ebay to do so. You see what I mean?
If I make a post asking for information on fans or aftermarket cooling solutions are you going to delete it? No mention of mining or bitcoin. Just straight up request for info.
Clearly that itself doesn't break any rules. I don't want tech support. I want info from MSI users. Surely MSI won't give me information on aftermarket cooling solutions for their products as that would void warranty and MSI itself will not help a user void their warranty. Even if I give up my warranty voluntarily they won't budge. I've been down that road already. Thus why I am here.
Mod:
I'm sorry that you can be so deluded. What you want to believe doesn't change the fact that it is still possible. If it's possible, people will do it. If you haven't figured that out in life, I'm sorry for you. Yes, some e-tailers may accept it, and the public view is slowly changing. Unfortunately it doesn't change the fact that you agreed to rules by joining the forum, and then berate users because they inform you of them. They are the rules and if you don't like them, you are welcome to post else where.
Lastly, you apparently still haven't gotten it, even after saying this multiple times. You can easily Google for coolers, or look on amazon. They exist.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
6strings (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 12:21:42 AM

Please everyone. Lets go to MSI and show them that we are good honest people.

Post a kind message in this off-topic section on the MSI forums.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?board=12.0

Please. No need to troll or be offensive. We need to show MSI that we're not terrorists or money launderers.
We also need to encourage MSI to research Bitcoin and educate their mods on the subject. Please show them that they've been misguided by not being offensive.

aceking

Activity: 229
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 12:23:48 AM

msi are fooking idiots
6strings (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 12:26:17 AM

this particular mod is quite dense I must admit. his ignorance is quite astounding actually.

6strings (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 12:32:31 AM

Do we have any MSI reps on this forum? Someone should really take this bozo down a peg.
hostmaster

Activity: 266

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2014, 04:56:58 AM

msi are fooking idiots
agried
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 06:31:24 AM
Last edit: February 07, 2014, 01:33:24 PM by Gator-hex

Take you money elsewhere. I've never had any trouble with Sapphire cards.

I can now even buy my graphics cards and power supplies with Bitcoins (via BitPay) at www.scan.co.uk

You should all get your local computer parts companies to accept BitPay, it's good for business and no charge backs!

What we do around here when the fans wear out is remove the plastic and old fan and cable tie some cheap 92mm system fans to the radiator.

Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 07:31:12 AM

What a bunch of morons.

I've got 33 MSI 280x cards, 6strings. The fans are all fucking garbage. Some are seized, some barely spin, and all have leaked oil from their bearings. Avoid MSI cards at all costs until these shit quality fans are addressed.

If I could be bothered to register on their forum, I'd post this for shits and giggles:

sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 07:34:44 AM

The only way to teach them a lesson is for all miners to stay away from them and buy cards from their competitors. Why should miners support them when they don't support miners? Business doesn't work one-way.
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 07:39:40 AM

The only way to teach them a lesson is for all miners to stay away from them and buy cards from their competitors. Why should miners support them when they don't support miners? Business doesn't work one-way.

To be fair, the clowns moderating the MSI forums aren't MSI employees. MSI has no qualms with mining in my experience, and are currently working with me to get my fans replaced on my cards.
6strings (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 11:28:43 AM

To be fair, the clowns moderating the MSI forums aren't MSI employees. MSI has no qualms with mining in my experience, and are currently working with me to get my fans replaced on my cards.

Do you have a contact you could share? I wouldn't mind having my fans replaced either if possible. I just don't think it warrants me having to send the cards themselves away to replace a simple component that my 5 yr old could replace.

Or do you, or anyone else viewing this thread happen to know the part # of the fans? I can probably find a replacement on ebay with that info. I have yet to remove the fans off my cards as they still spin, they just need a little encouragement. They sound like an ancient IDE HDD ticking away. Very nostalgic lol.
botcoinExpress

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 11:42:05 AM

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=177538.0
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2014, 11:53:55 AM

MSI probably don't like people using their GPU to mine 24/7,
cause too many of them are returned within the warranty period??
atp1916
Legendary

Activity: 854

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 12:24:39 PM

Oh dear.  Undecided
tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 12:40:41 PM

There are people who game all day using their cards. The cards should have a tolerance for more than average use.
6strings (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 01:13:18 PM

Its not even a matter of high temps in my case. My MSI cards rarely go over 70'c. I have the fans set between 50-75% at those temps. The fans are just junk. They wear out way too quickly for no apparent reason.
My Gigabyte card, which is main gpu in my main rig is constantly around 80'C. Fans are perfect on that at 100%. My Sapphire 7970s have been running for nearly a year in the 70s at 75-100%. Only had one issue with a fan on those and that was more less do to it rubbing against the poorly placed USB 3.0 connector on my mobo occasionally.

3 out of 4 MSI cards. Bad fans on all. No real reason behind it except poor quality fans.

Otherwise the cards perform great.

Being labelled a supporter of terrorism because I inquire about fans has been a rather confusing ordeal. Hopefully we can get some corporate MSI folks to step in and put an end to this nonsense.
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 01:17:12 PM

There are people who game all day using their cards. The cards should have a tolerance for more than average use.

Not to mention that they seem to have their own F@H team which stresses cards 24/7 also.
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 01:23:13 PM

Do you have a contact you could share? I wouldn't mind having my fans replaced either if possible. I just don't think it warrants me having to send the cards themselves away to replace a simple component that my 5 yr old could replace.

Or do you, or anyone else viewing this thread happen to know the part # of the fans? I can probably find a replacement on ebay with that info. I have yet to remove the fans off my cards as they still spin, they just need a little encouragement. They sound like an ancient IDE HDD ticking away. Very nostalgic lol.

My partner is taking care of getting the replacements, but I'm pretty sure he simply called MSI Canada and explained the situation. They wanted to replace every card which was defective, but after a bit of explanation he understood why we don't want to send the cards in. I fully expect the replacement fans to die within the month like these have anyways.

I don't have a part number, unfortunately. I'm probably going to end up buying 66 92mm fans and a bunch of zip ties.
BTCWizard

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 01:54:37 PM

I won't buy MSI products anymore, if they allow this kind of crap:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=flvd04o76cd19r5lh33kfprnv0&topic=169369

The rules don't apply if you talk trash about Bitcoin? But mentioning Bitcoin and coolers in the same post is a no? F* them.
Maybe BT should add a rule not to talk about MSI unless it is to trashtalk about them.
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 02:01:26 PM

I won't buy MSI products anymore, if they allow this kind of crap:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=flvd04o76cd19r5lh33kfprnv0&topic=169369

The rules don't apply if you talk trash about Bitcoin? But mentioning Bitcoin and coolers in the same post is a no? F* them.
Maybe BT should add a rule not to talk about MSI unless it is to trashtalk about them.

What a circle jerk.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: