Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:41:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bounty for translations of the Bitcoin article in Wikipedia [upto 23 BTC]  (Read 18103 times)
cw (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 18, 2011, 12:25:36 PM
Last edit: May 22, 2011, 06:17:28 AM by eMansipater

Edit(by eMansipater):  this bounty is now in transition.  I am trying to verify the bounties which we fell behind on and transition the bounty to a new thread, as well as get a second person to have access to the account so that we won't get stuck in a situation like we did with this one.  As I noted a few pages in here, the new thread will probably have an adjusted formula to reflect the increased value of bitcoins, and we are also in need of donations to continue awarding bounties as once pending bounties are paid we will be a little bit low(the donation address below is still current).  The number one way people can help right now is by reviewing the existing translations and letting us know what shape they are in so that past bounties can be fully paid out.  Then once that is done I will launch the new thread/formula and we can continue incentivising this crucial work.

------------------------------------------------Original message follows------------------------------------
This is a bounty for Wikipedia translations of the Bitcoin article. Please, read all the instructions and remarks.

IMPORTANT: Currently, we have enough bitcoins to fund 2 new translations (and some payments are pending). Please, send bitcoins to 1FDP9PT2R4vnQNWx17Yv4k2d2otZAUaoj2 so we can fund more translations. If you are going to start a new translation, keep in mind that we cannot guarantee a reward until we receive more donations!

The process is:

• If you are not registered in Wikipedia, do it. Edit your Wikipedia user page and add your Bitcoin forum's nick.
  • Translate the English Bitcoin article to your own language.
  • Adapt it to the style guidelines of your Wikipedia edition (format, reference and template styles and other conventions).
  • Keep a local copy of the source of the article. Just in case it gets deleted.
  • Notify here your translation and your Wikipedia username.
  • Wait for people in the forum to review and some time for other Wikipedia editors to see the article.
  • Rewards for translations completed by more than 1 person will be distributed on a best-effort and good faith basis. Participants will do their best to agree on the distribution themselves.

A valid translation should be fully adapted to each Wikipedia edition. That includes:
  • Proper grammar. Google Translations are NOT valid!
  • Fixing every template (and adding any extra template the Wikipedia edition has for software, currencies or anything applicable.
  • Removing internal links that lead to unexistant articles.
  • Add internal links to relevant existant articles if applicable.
  • Use proper categories for the Wikipedia edition.
  • Comply with any other guideline that the Wikipedia edition has.

There is a fixed bounty for each translation depending of the number of articles in each language. People might pledge extra bitcoins for specific languages. The base bounty is 4·log10 n where n is the number of articles.

Finally, Do you think the current version of the English Bitcoin article is good enough to use it as the source for translations? If it's not, what would you improve?

You might deposit bitcoins for the bounty in the following address: 1FDP9PT2R4vnQNWx17Yv4k2d2otZAUaoj2. This is a MyBitcoin.com account. I can give access to it to a couple of trusted people in this forum.

Funds and pledges:

• eMansipater - 70 BTC (in deposit)
  • theymos - 25 BTC (in deposit)
  • da2ce7 - 25 BTC (in deposit)
  • cw - 13.25 BTC (in deposit)
  • noagendamarket - 7.08 BTC (in deposit)
  • niooron - 0.5 BTC (in deposit)
  • unknown - 0.1 BTC (in deposit)
  • Bounty deposit balance (1FDP9PT2R4vnQNWx17Yv4k2d2otZAUaoj2): 50.86 BTC

Translations
  • Portuguese by TiagoTiago. 4·log10 678890 = 23.327 BTC. Sent to 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX.
  • Polish by ShadowOfHarbringer. This translation is previous to the start of this bounty. However, if you wish to reward ShadowOfHarbringer, you can do it to: 1NLWBAD7ZD82fJDDawKfp5RAKSR8YWWYd3. I'll list these donations here if you wish.
  • Bahasa Indonesia by foxmulder. 4·log10 158104 = 20.796 BTC. Sent to 1Cxa2JZ1CE4DUSLtg3j7xaNBNiqjbjQtcG.
  • Spanish by niooron. 4·log10 742798 = 23.483 BTC. Sent to 1HFFY7CtnXGceMvv9a6AQNTgyAu9ySd3Mb.
  • Swedish by Zulu. 4·log10 391484 = 22.371 BTC. Sent to 1Ko9yVjydbqnMFFex1CYAP2krS76e7GNs5.
  • Korean by Huh?.
  • Austro-Bavarian by Huh?.

Estimated cost of translating the Bitcoin article to EVERY language

• All languages with 100,000+ articles: ~700 BTC
  • All languages with 10,000+ articles: ~1100 BTC
  • All languages with 1,000+ articles: ~1500 BTC
  • All languages with 100+ articles: ~600 BTC
  • Total: ~3900 BTC for translations to 267 languages!

More info at the List of Wikipedias

Bounty on Wikipedia itself

This announcement is now extended to Wikipedia's Reward board to attract contributors from the Wikipedia community.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
niooron

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 18, 2011, 11:07:39 PM

I guess the prize should be according to the number of speakers of the language. I would pledge 0.5 btc for the fund.
Distribution

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
March 18, 2011, 11:33:51 PM

What about Nefario's students? I don't know if they have enough English background, but it might pay some "company" handsomely.
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
March 18, 2011, 11:38:14 PM

I guess the prize should be according to the number of speakers of the language. I would pledge 0.5 btc for the fund.

Impossible to quantify. I propose instead doing it by the number of Wikipedia articles in that language (Wikipedia stats page shows this).
cw (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 11:57:02 AM

Impossible to quantify. I propose instead doing it by the number of Wikipedia articles in that language (Wikipedia stats page shows this).

Then the base bounty for any language could be K·log10 n where K is a constant and n the number of articles. So, if K = 4, then:

• ~500,000 articles = 22 BTC (Japanese, Italian)
  • ~300,000 articles = 21 BTC (Chinese)
  • ~100,000 articles = 20 BTC (Danish, Arab)
  • ~10,000 articles = 16 BTC (Afrikaans, Icelandic, etc.)
  • ~1,000 articles = 11 BTC
  • ~100 articles = 8 BTC

People could pledge more bitcoins for a specific language. How does this look like?
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
March 19, 2011, 09:45:11 PM

sounds great.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 01:02:59 AM

What's the formula to convert the number of articles into BTC?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
TiagoTiago

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 08:59:17 AM

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/pt/w/index.php?title=Bitcoin&oldid=24461273 Same nickname as here.

I only did the translation, didn't touch the styling nor fixed any templates nor anything, but the bulk of the work is done.

Btw, If you are gonna give me some money for this, i would rather if you waited a bit, my computer holding my wallet is down and i wanna feel the rush of checking the bitcoin client every few minutes to see when the money comes (i'm hoping to buy a new one in these next few weeks, my current machine has been around long enough and issues it is presenting are so serious it's more worth buying a new machine and transplanting the data instead of trying to repair the current one, even if it could be repaired it would still remain too unreliable at best)

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
cw (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 11:40:15 AM

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/pt/w/index.php?title=Bitcoin&oldid=24461273 Same nickname as here.

I only did the translation, didn't touch the styling nor fixed any templates nor anything, but the bulk of the work is done.

Great! I expect translations to be fully adapted. That includes:

• Fixing every template (and adding any extra template the Portuguese Wikipedia has for software, currencies or anything applicable.
  • Removing internal links that lead to unexistant articles.
  • Add internal links to relevant existant articles if applicable.
  • Use proper categories for the Portuguese Wikipedia.
  • Comply with any other guideline that Portuguese Wikipedia has.

What's the formula to convert the number of articles into BTC?

In this case, with 678099 articles: 4·log10 678099 = 23.325 BTC + any extra amount people want to pledge.
TiagoTiago

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 11:44:35 AM

How much do i get just for translating the text? Or you only accept the whole deal?

Do you like mmmBananas?!
cw (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 11:50:51 AM

Thanks! Is that in total or 0.5 BTC per translation?
cw (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 11:53:07 AM

How much do i get just for translating the text? Or you only accept the whole deal?

It is hard to say for a partial work. The only thing I can think about is that, if full translation is made by more than one person, they should agree on percentage with mediation from me and the rest of the community.
TiagoTiago

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 12:16:23 PM

So this means i fucked up the chance of someone else getting paid for doing the job on the Portuguese Wikipedia and i'm not even getting paid myself?

Do you like mmmBananas?!
cw (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 12:34:15 PM
Last edit: March 20, 2011, 01:35:13 PM by cw

So this means i fucked up the chance of someone else getting paid for doing the job on the Portuguese Wikipedia and i'm not even getting paid myself?

I think it is finished now, with infoboxes for software and currency, more or less fixed references, categories, etc. What do you think about saving 3 BTC for other translations (because of the infobox work, etc.)? Then, it'd be 20.235 BTC for you.
TiagoTiago

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 08:26:02 PM

You did that? Alright. Sure, if you consider that  to represent well your fraction of the work.

Do you like mmmBananas?!
cw (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 08:37:15 PM

You did that? Alright. Sure, if you consider that  to represent well your fraction of the work.

Ok! Should I pay now to 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX ?
eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2011, 08:58:26 PM
Last edit: March 20, 2011, 11:00:04 PM by eMansipater

I just donated 20 BTC.  I will match further pledges made to this thread (and fulfilled) before end of day Sunday March 27, up to 50 BTC total.  So if anyone was on the hedge about donating, just donate at least a portion of the amount you were considering, and it will go twice as far.

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
TiagoTiago

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 09:08:58 PM

Actually, now i'm thinking more about this, i would rather wait till at least a couple people that feel confident in both languages approves my work, who knows, i might have made some big mistakes.... Also, i guess it would probably be fair to discount a couple BTC from my prize 'cause i keep finding typos on my translation even after having re-read it several times, these things have a way to sneak by unoticed somtimes....

Do you like mmmBananas?!
cw (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 09:23:22 PM

Actually, now i'm thinking more about this, i would rather wait till at least a couple people that feel confident in both languages approves my work, who knows, i might have made some big mistakes.... Also, i guess it would probably be fair to discount a couple BTC from my prize 'cause i keep finding typos on my translation even after having re-read it several times, these things have a way to sneak by unoticed somtimes....

Fair enough. Then we can wait a bit and give people (and yourself) to an opportunity to review it and get some reward if they make any substantial improvement. We can establish this as the standard procedure for further translations to other languages too.

I just donated 20 BTC.  I will match further pledges made to this thread (and fulfilled) before end of day Sunday March 27, up to 50 BTC.  So if anyone was on the hedge about donating, just donate at least a portion of the amount you were considering, and it will go twice as far.

Thank you, I'm excited to see this rolling Smiley
niooron

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 09:24:27 PM

Sent 0.5 to the fund.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: