Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:11:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin.it -> wiki.bitcoin.org  (Read 6155 times)
bitcoinex (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2011, 10:38:01 PM

No one (except for English language users) do not understand why the official wiki need look for in Italy.

Please make a virtual server and an entry in DNS for this case.

bitcoin.it -> wiki.bitcoin.org
en.bitcoin.it -> en.wiki.bitcoin.org

etc.

New bitcoin lottery: probiwon.com
- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 10:44:37 PM

Agreed...

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2011, 10:55:02 PM

+1

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12899

View Profile
March 20, 2011, 11:03:39 PM

The Bitcoin wiki is not "owned" by bitcoin.org. It's independent, which is good.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
bitcoinex (OP)

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2011, 11:07:56 PM

The Bitcoin wiki is not "owned" by bitcoin.org. It's independent, which is good.

But they are interested in promoting of bitcoins.

- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2011, 11:40:25 PM

I agree, and it's good for it to be accessible via bitcoin.it for just that reason.  But it's also far and away the most important source of bitcoin "wikinformation".  So it would be nice to have it accessible via wiki.bitcoin.org until or unless there exists anything comparable.

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
Stefan Thomas

Activity: 234
Merit: 100

AKA: Justmoon

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2011, 04:18:53 AM

Agreed. Let bitcoin.org be the site for the official client and bitcoin.it be the wikipedia for all things Bitcoin (including third-party clients, the Bitcoin economy, etc.)

Twitter: @justmoon
PGP: D16E 7B04 42B9 F02E 0660  C094 C947 3700 A4B0 8BF3
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 10:21:08 AM

Could bitcoin.it accommodate a cname from wiki.bitcoin.org?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

bitcoinex (OP)

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2011, 10:25:26 AM

Could bitcoin.it accommodate a cname from wiki.bitcoin.org?

Yes. But on bitcoin.it server it is need to add virtual host aliases

TheFootMan

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 09:08:43 AM

Was this ever changed?

Couldn't there at least be a pointer from wiki.bitcoin.org to en.bitcoin.it/wiki?

Who is the current operator of the wiki, ie. the admin who can do administrative changes and decisions?

Are there any mirros of the wiki?

Lastly, what do you think about this page, should it be removed completely?

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Lazy_API

The solution for sending bitcoins is down.
The solution for receiving bitcoins doesn't really explain how one generates keypairs, and how they're handled.

The page is overall not very useful in my opinion, and should be removed completely.

In my view, a lazy programmers guide should at least be complete to the point that it servers the minimum needed to get the tasks at hand done. So I think it should either be deleted entirely or updated, and since there's already plenty of info here, see bottom: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/API_reference_%28JSON-RPC%29 I think the best solution is to just delete the lazy_API entry.

HeroC
Legendary

Activity: 858
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 05:42:43 PM

I think there should be at least a link, but they are a 3rd party so just be careful. It would be better in my opinion on wiki.bitcoin.org
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 11:40:14 PM

Agreed. Let bitcoin.org be the site for the official client and bitcoin.it be the wikipedia for all things Bitcoin (including third-party clients, the Bitcoin economy, etc.)
bitcoin.org isn't for any specific client either, nor is any client official...

SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 01:19:51 PM
Last edit: August 06, 2014, 10:13:00 AM by SomeoneWeird

Was this ever changed?

Couldn't there at least be a pointer from wiki.bitcoin.org to en.bitcoin.it/wiki?

Who is the current operator of the wiki, ie. the admin who can do administrative changes and decisions?

Yes. It is now operated by myself, theymos, nanotube and Luke-Jr.
TheFootMan

Activity: 490

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 02:51:17 PM

Was this ever changed?

Ok - good to know.
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 04:09:59 AM

Was this ever changed?

Ok - good to know.

Sorry to bump the old topic, but it seems to have been left hanging here.  We (ahem, I) now know who controls the admin functions of bitcoin.it.  Are you guys willing to accomodate the cname from wiki.bitcoin.org to be a virtual host of the wiki?

I know that I, for one, have been around bitcoins for approximately 3 years and I still have to google to find the bitcoin wiki because I usually just remember, "oh it's a funny site in some european country's tld".  I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be the case if it were accessible via wiki.bitcoin.org.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 05:47:36 AM

Right now, the wiki contains (I'm told) explicit links directly to malware and (without warning) scams.
A redirect from wiki.bitcoin.org would enable the criminals behind these to make their stuff look even more legit than they currently can ("it's at bitcoin.org, of course it's safe").
So I think I'd personally prefer more cleanup before this happens... but I don't have time to do it all myself.
If more people could volunteer to spend even a little time on it, it would help.

Edit: To be clear, I am not promising a redirect even if such cleanup occurs!

tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 04:22:48 PM

Right now, the wiki contains (I'm told) explicit links directly to malware and (without warning) scams.
A redirect from wiki.bitcoin.org would enable the criminals behind these to make their stuff look even more legit than they currently can ("it's at bitcoin.org, of course it's safe").
So I think I'd personally prefer more cleanup before this happens... but I don't have time to do it all myself.
If more people could volunteer to spend even a little time on it, it would help.

Edit: To be clear, I am not promising a redirect even if such cleanup occurs!

I'm thinking you must be referring to the pages on bitcoin companies and services.  I'd be willing to take a look at them and try to post here about which look especially suspicious.  I'll see if I can do it over the weekend and post some kind of report in this forum.  Are there other sections that you're worried are linking to scams?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: