Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:51:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This game is very simple.  (Read 7610 times)
Anonymous

March 21, 2011, 11:46:41 PM
Last edit: May 25, 2011, 07:51:34 PM by Atlas

Suspended. Better contest coming soon.
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CCCMikey

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 21, 2011, 11:55:17 PM

Heh - that might attact a few bots potentially, but the prize is small enough not to matter.

I had a laugh yesterday. While in SuperCheap Auto some guy was yacking loudly on the phone about some stock he was buying that didn't seem likely to move from $31. (Meanwhile I was looking in vain for some strip LED lighting for the headlights so I would be more visible when the lights were off - bronzeish coloured cars hard to see - looks like eBay's where I'll have to shop.)

Anyway when he hung up I swung by and asked. "You seem to be into financial stuff. What's your opinion on BitCoins" to which the answer was "What's a BitCoin" and I said "It's a new Peer to Peer currency that's been invented. It could be interesting to read about." and we went our own way.

He almost assuredly thought I was a wierdo - Clippy personified perhaps? (And he'd be right.) But nonetheless I was curious to see what his reaction would be. Most likely he's forgotten the name even before he got to the checkout.

Anyone got similar stories?

Edit: Peaches.
Anonymous

March 22, 2011, 12:01:17 AM

Heh - that might attact a few bots potentially, but the prize is small enough not to matter.

I had a laugh yesterday. While in SuperCheap Auto some guy was yacking loudly on the phone about some stock he was buying that didn't seem likely to move from $31. (Meanwhile I was looking in vain for some strip LED lighting for the headlights so I would be more visible when the lights were off - bronzeish coloured cars hard to see - looks like eBay's where I'll have to shop.)

Anyway when he hung up I swung by and asked. "You seem to be into financial stuff. What's your opinion on BitCoins" to which the answer was "What's a BitCoin" and I said "It's a new Peer to Peer currency that's been invented. It could be interesting to read about." and we went our own way.

He almost assuredly thought I was a wierdo - Clippy personified perhaps? (And he'd be right.) But nonetheless I was curious to see what his reaction would be. Most likely he's forgotten the name even before he got to the checkout.

I have mentioned Bitcoin to some gold junkies and pseudo-libertarian types. They eat it up. I don't know how far they act on it though. : P

fabianhjr

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Do The Evolution

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 12:07:50 AM

This game is very simple. You have fruitful conversation with your fellow bitcoiners and whoever reaches post 9,999 wins 5 BTC.
Careful with the wording! That means that even if I am post #10,000, #10,001 or even #100,000 I would meet your criteria.

The question is, how long until this thread becomes a resource blackhole?

Anonymous

March 22, 2011, 12:15:19 AM

This game is very simple. You have fruitful conversation with your fellow bitcoiners and whoever reaches post 9,999 wins 5 BTC.
Careful with the wording! That means that even if I am post #10,000, #10,001 or even #100,000 I would meet your criteria.

The question is, how long until this thread becomes a resource blackhole?
Whoever reaches post 9,999 first?
CCCMikey

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 12:19:10 AM

It is doable - see this Australian thread (NSFW possibly) thats up to 17,086 posts... http://www.zgeek.com/showthread.php/9800-Random-Picture-Thread!/page1140
fabianhjr

Do The Evolution

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 12:23:51 AM

:/ No need. It is possible though pointless.
You could rename the thread title to something like: Lounge [Bounty inside]

I put 1 BTC down for the one who reaches the post number 99 first and it is only valid for 72 hours from timestamp of this post.

Now, lets see, who wants to share music?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAKdck1OOM0

@Board admins/mods: Any way to insert videos on the post? Like [youtube]VIDEO_ID[/youtube]

Anonymous

March 22, 2011, 01:35:32 AM

The slower it goes, the more valuable the award.
Anonymous

March 22, 2011, 02:00:56 AM

Award increased to 6 BTC. Feel free to pledge and I'll put it in a dedicated pot.
Distribution

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 02:18:22 AM

I have mentioned Bitcoin to some gold junkies and pseudo-libertarian types. They eat it up. I don't know how far they act on it though. : P

My picture is me with a cowboy hat and shotgun. I wouldn't say that I'm a "pseudo" libertarian, but I'm certainly not a techie person.

Although, my time has been so consumed lately by Bitcoin and learning more about it that my girlfriend has become quite annoyed at how much energy I devote to it. We just took a trip to south Florida the past couple of days, and she was amazed (misleading euphemism?) at how I could always bring the conversation back around to Bitcoin.
carp

Activity: 82

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 02:28:41 AM

Award increased to 6 BTC. Feel free to pledge and I'll put it in a dedicated pot.

There is little incentive to lenghten the thread then. You should let the pot sweeten. make an address, send the 6 btc to it, and publish it here.

Then not only can anyone see the prize by just checking it on blockexplorer, anyone can sweeten the pot! Smiley

Anonymous

March 22, 2011, 12:08:00 PM

My picture is me with a cowboy hat and shotgun. I wouldn't say that I'm a "pseudo" libertarian, but I'm certainly not a techie person.

Although, my time has been so consumed lately by Bitcoin and learning more about it that my girlfriend has become quite annoyed at how much energy I devote to it. We just took a trip to south Florida the past couple of days, and she was amazed (misleading euphemism?) at how I could always bring the conversation back around to Bitcoin.

You are my new hero Smiley
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2011, 01:47:15 PM

You are my new hero Smiley

Yeah I think my friends are getting pissed off about talking about btc too.

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
CCCMikey

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 02:25:18 PM

It's almost like a religion....

Or Amway.

Scarey!
FatherMcGruder

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2011, 04:21:37 PM

Well, I only ever mention Bitcoin to people when talking about financial stuff, how awesome the internet is, or when I know the person very well and they may possibly care. It feels like how I used to talk about private bittorrent trackers to my friends. They're either amazed or they look at me funny.

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 04:30:46 PM

Till we get close to the target post this isn't a competition but a colective effort towards a shared goal.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 04:32:11 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2011, 04:52:34 PM by TiagoTiago

Btw, you probably should add a rule stating people can't post twice (or more) in a row, whoever posts the post just before the target can't win.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
carp

Activity: 82

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 04:47:54 PM

Well, I only ever mention Bitcoin to people when talking about financial stuff, how awesome the internet is, or when I know the person very well and they may possibly care. It feels like how I used to talk about private bittorrent trackers to my friends. They're either amazed or they look at me funny.

I have mostly been trying to skip the whole "how it works" since well...  I am one of those geeks where the first thing I did to understand it was go and read the spec. It still took me a while to get all the details straight. Its very easy to look at bitcoin and think "ok so I need to mine coins".... and I think thats actually a hinderance once people see how hard that actually is.

That said, it seems to be a split between people who really, truely don't care, and people who go "hell yes! Fuck the fed! I need to get into this". Not an even split, but a split. Most people don't care, or worry about "how do you get the money back out".

Course, I can't imagine wanting to buy dollars with my precious bitcoins. Why regress?

FatherMcGruder

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2011, 05:24:36 PM

That said, it seems to be a split between people who really, truely don't care, and people who go "hell yes! Fuck the fed! I need to get into this". Not an even split, but a split. Most people don't care, or worry about "how do you get the money back out".
There are also people who think it's a cool idea, but probably a scam.

I haven't told many people, so these statements of mine don't come from much of a sample set.

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2011, 05:27:42 PM

There are also people who think it's a cool idea, but probably a scam.

I haven't told many people, so these statements of mine don't come from much of a sample set.

There is also a fair share who like it for the ease of transferring and speed / safety. Then a good portion like it for everything involved with it.

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: