Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:07:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I want a Progress Quest Bitcoin Client  (Read 10603 times)
BitCoinPurse (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2010, 01:23:58 AM

I can envision a pleasant marriage between Progress Quest and the bitcoin client.  (http://www.progressquest.com/)

I always check it like a junkie to see if I've generated a block.  Why not have something interesting to look at when I open the client?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RHorning

Activity: 224
Merit: 141

View Profile
July 20, 2010, 05:13:58 PM

I started a thread on discussions of integrating bitcoins into an MMORPG environment on this thread:

https://www.bitcoin.org/smf/index.php?topic=353.0

I know that doesn't quite answer your question, but the issue of integrating bitcoins with specific games is something useful.  Perhaps the independent API interface (with a DLL or library file of some sort) could be developed to also facilitate the development of such clients.

As for specific games, the main interaction would be through some kind of virtual money to bitcoin exchange.  I would discourage such an exchange for games that don't want "real world money" involved (Runescape, World of Warcraft, etc.) but there are many games that don't mind having "real world money" attached to their virtual currency (Second Life, to give another example).

If you want to set up an exchange between this particular game, Progress Quest, and bitcoins..... have fun!  I hope you succeed and get something accomplished.  If you are looking for some technical responses to how that can be accomplished, what sort of problems are you facing in terms of making that implementation?
BitCoinPurse (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2010, 01:13:28 AM

...what sort of problems are you facing in terms of making that implementation?

I'd have to learn C++, MVC theory, etc.
RHorning

Activity: 224
Merit: 141

View Profile
July 21, 2010, 03:12:51 AM

...what sort of problems are you facing in terms of making that implementation?

I'd have to learn C++, MVC theory, etc.

Programming is not nearly as difficult as it would seem on the surface, and I've taught my nine year old how to make some pretty interesting (although simple) games in under a day's worth of instruction.  I'll admit that manipulating Bitcoins directly could be a little bit more challenging.

Avoid Microsoft tools unless you are getting explicitly paid by somebody to use them in a professional setting.  I could go into more and there are several that would dispute me, but it seems like Microsoft makes software development tools about 3x harder than they should be and 10x harder to learn in the first place.  A good thing for job security, but lousy for a newly budding programmer.

Still, even a simple web page could begin to engage in some coin exchanges.... even a wiki could work for that if you have trouble writing HTML.  Don't give up, and even somebody new to computers could make some real contributions to Bitcoins and their use elsewhere.
EricJ2190

Activity: 134
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 21, 2010, 04:52:30 AM

RHorning: I think you should look more closely into the mechanics of Progress Quest. I think you will find the idea of a PQ/BTC exchange a little more absurd.

I think BitCoinPurse just wants to combine the programs into one program with that does both, so that he can consolidate his mindless status checking. If that is the case, we should probably throw in a torrent client and download manager as well. Maybe a video encoder, too.
joechip

Activity: 50

View Profile
July 21, 2010, 07:01:03 PM

I can envision a pleasant marriage between Progress Quest and the bitcoin client.  (http://www.progressquest.com/)

I always check it like a junkie to see if I've generated a block.  Why not have something interesting to look at when I open the client?

I rule at PQ!!

Seriously, it's a joke game.
D҉ataWraith

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 21, 2010, 07:51:54 PM

Hehehe. While the Bitcoin client is connected to IRC anyway, why not make it login to an Idle-RPG? Problem solved. Grin

(This should probably be moved over to Off-topic or something...)

1NvcPV6xi6yqo5yg8aWSkNdasPSAsGtt1m
Quantumplation

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2010, 07:53:29 PM

Better yet, why not make Idle-RPG the bootstrapper! haha

NOTE: This account was compromised from 2017 to 2021.  I'm in the process of deleting posts not made by me.
BitCoinPurse (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2010, 01:31:00 AM

Yes, move to off-topic.

I'm going to try an hone some programming skills in order to build my own slightly changed client from the source code that will hopefully change the tray icon green after generating a block.  Look out Bill Gates!
Insti

Activity: 294
Merit: 252

Firstbits: 1duzy

View Profile
July 26, 2010, 02:36:30 PM

I rule at PQ!!
Seriously, it's a joke game.

You should not dismiss it as a joke game just because you find it easy.
Some of us have to work hard at it, learning all the spells and attacks and things. Sad

Maybe I should find an easier game to play.
Anonymous

August 23, 2010, 08:46:12 PM

Better yet, why not make Idle-RPG the bootstrapper! haha

Could you also farm gold doing that? Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: