Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:45:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin.org server admins wanted  (Read 3250 times)
sirius (OP)
Bitcoiner

Activity: 429
Merit: 969

View Profile
March 28, 2011, 10:21:58 AM

Anyone interested in helping out with bitcoin.org? We need someone who has the time and skill to optimize and manage a high-traffic server. The server should be made to easily withstand slashdotting and other major news coverage. We're currently running a LAMP on a Rackspace VPS, but the hosting can be changed if necessary.

It's fine if you want to do only the optimization part, but maintenance help is also very welcome. If you're interested, please post here or send me a PM to tell me about your experience, optimization ideas and how much time you have to spare.

Iris — for better social networks
I'm not a forum admin - please contact theymos instead.
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1071

View Profile
March 28, 2011, 01:41:37 PM

Can you give sgnornick permission to update the front page with 4 news items every 2 days? He's been fairly consistently generating a history.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 28, 2011, 01:44:29 PM

Will this new person help get the front page redesign project back up and running?

sirius (OP)
Bitcoiner

View Profile
March 28, 2011, 01:51:47 PM

Will this new person help get the front page redesign project back up and running?

Help with that is welcome too.

benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 28, 2011, 05:32:56 PM

Quote from: vladimir
20+ years of experience with Linux and FreeBSD

Roll Eyes

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 28, 2011, 08:14:20 PM

Quote from: vladimir
20+ years of experience with Linux and FreeBSD

Roll Eyes

Although it would be difficult to have more than 20 years experience with Linux, it is possible with BSD.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
trentzb

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 28, 2011, 10:33:15 PM

Although it would be difficult to have more than 20 years experience with Linux, it is possible with BSD.
If a 16+ hour day hacking away on Linux as opposed to an 8 hour workday count as 2+ then I think 20+ years is entirely possible. Smiley
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2011, 12:32:22 AM

If a 16+ hour day hacking away on Linux as opposed to an 8 hour workday count as 2+ then I think 20+ years is entirely possible. Smiley

I think Linux .01 was in 1991 right? I just got done reading this about 30 minutes ago and forgot already.
Of course there were only a handful of people using it then and it changed a little.

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
bitcoinex

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2011, 08:19:45 AM
Last edit: March 29, 2011, 08:45:47 AM by bitcoinex

I am can move http server from apache to nginx with static pages and multilanguage support or to Drupal support + I can set up mediawiki engine on this server. This will save money on the server.

+ can try to set up centralized user accounts system (single sign on) based on kerberos for all bitcoin.org services (wiki + drupal, for example) to avoid such as occurred recently with mysql.com

Also I can write Bind zone and config for this issue and webserver config for bitcoin.it if it is necessary.

New bitcoin lottery: probiwon.com
- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 29, 2011, 09:58:14 PM
Last edit: March 29, 2011, 10:24:47 PM by error

Anyone interested in helping out with bitcoin.org? We need someone who has the time and skill to optimize and manage a high-traffic server. The server should be made to easily withstand slashdotting and other major news coverage. We're currently running a LAMP on a Rackspace VPS, but the hosting can be changed if necessary.

It's fine if you want to do only the optimization part, but maintenance help is also very welcome. If you're interested, please post here or send me a PM to tell me about your experience, optimization ideas and how much time you have to spare.

Back in 2005 I had a small LAMP webserver running on an antique (at the time; now it's just a worthless archaeological relic) Pentium 166 when it got slashdotted. It held up perfectly well despite running WordPress. I have a clue or two, though I'm not going to make any statements about how many years of experience I have. It's enough that the actual number is largely irrelevant. Smiley

I also run the webserver for a US talk radio show which runs Drupal, WordPress, (yes both of them) Shoutcast, SMF and MediaWiki. On a VPS. And its forum is even bigger than this one. Smiley Also doing bind, nginx, git, and a bunch of other stuff I've completely forgotten about (and probably maintain in my sleep).

The real question is, are you paying in bitcoins? Cheesy

EDIT: Oh, I should also note, I know how to "undelete" SMF users. Had to do that once before, too. Cheesy

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
[Tycho]

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2011, 12:27:57 AM

Anyone interested in helping out with bitcoin.org? We need someone who has the time and skill to optimize and manage a high-traffic server. The server should be made to easily withstand slashdotting and other major news coverage.
Sent you my offer in PM, but got no answer yet...

And, BTW, when i should expect undeleting my account ? :)

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net - Both payment schemes (including PPS), instant payout, no invalid blocks !
ICBIT Trading platform : USD/BTC futures trading, Bitcoin difficulty futures (NEW!). Third year in bitcoin business.
error

View Profile
March 31, 2011, 12:50:09 AM

Anyone interested in helping out with bitcoin.org? We need someone who has the time and skill to optimize and manage a high-traffic server. The server should be made to easily withstand slashdotting and other major news coverage.
Sent you my offer in PM, but got no answer yet...

And, BTW, when i should expect undeleting my account ? Smiley

When he makes me a server admin. Tongue

sirius (OP)
Bitcoiner

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 08:44:35 AM

Thanks to all who have offered help. I'm going through the offers and will contact some of you. New volunteers are still welcome.

error

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 05:04:16 PM

Ha. My latest SMF adventure was last night, restoring a 3,133-post thread from a database backup that was deleted by a moderator who went rogue.

ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
April 02, 2011, 09:58:39 PM

@Sirius

Check out your PMs.

em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2011, 06:45:42 AM

20years+ bitcoin experience

sure...and you have 0- years as a hot chick running ayoutube channel promoting linux.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
April 14, 2011, 05:31:22 AM

Thanks to all who have offered help. I'm going through the offers and will contact some of you. New volunteers are still welcome.

Oh hi~ btw I can provide both management & hosting (got a few idle machines here that would definitely hold the load).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: