Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:10:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Donations needed for promotional purposes at a major university  (Read 2064 times)
NghtRppr (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2011, 11:45:34 PM
Last edit: April 24, 2011, 01:03:12 AM by bitcoin2cash

I'm organizing a Bitcoin event at my university, http://uah.edu where forum member PLATO will be stopping by along his coast-to-coast journey, which you can read about on his website http://therealplato.com/ if you haven't heard about it. I'm hoping to get several hundred people to attend. Giving away free money seems like a pretty good way to encourage that. I'll be setting up a system where one-time-passwords are handed out at the event that can be redeemed for 1 BTC. I'm using my own money to pay for flyers, refreshments, room and board for the speaker as well as the printed cards and bitcoins. If any of you want to donate to help spread the word about Bitcoin, please send as much BTC to 1HXD5xHpz6cxbrqNekzGFTow6gjeuTNR4j as you can spare. I'm going to be trying to attract not only computer science majors but political science and finance majors to the event as well. Here's some information about UAH so you can understand exactly how beneficial it could be to get these students and faculty interested in Bitcoin.

UAH scientists managed the first "commercial," non-government rocket programs (Consort and Joust) in the U.S., the first "high-temperature" superconductor was discovered at UAH and the first U.S. experiment flown aboard the Soviet Mir space station was from UAH. UAH is a Space Grant university, and has a history of cooperation with NASA at the Marshall Space Flight Center, and the U.S. Army Aviation and Missile Command at Redstone Arsenal. In conjunction with helping NASA reach its goals, UAH makes NASA's research and technology available to all of Alabama's colleges and universities. The National Space Science and Technology Center is on the UAH campus.

The UAH Propulsion Research Center ([PRC]) is a research center that promotes interdisciplinary research opportunities for graduate and undergraduate students. The PRC was founded by Dr. Clark W. Hawk in 1991 and has since provided support for NASA, the Department of Defense, and the Department of Energy. Research topics explored include air breathing propulsion, solid, liquid & hybrid propellent combustion, magnetoinertial fusion, electric propulsion, high temperature materials, and space and terrestrial power systems.

If you are in the Huntsville, AL area please attend the event. I'll post the exact time and date as soon as I know but we are aiming for next week, between April 25th and April 29th. Thanks for reading!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 21, 2011, 01:05:17 AM

Have you contacted anyone at the Mises Institute?

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
NghtRppr (OP)

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2011, 01:07:32 AM

Have you contacted anyone at the Mises Institute?

No, I haven't. What do you suggest?
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 21, 2011, 03:07:27 PM

I visited the Mises institute last December and even talked with Doug French about Bitcoin.  It's on their radar, but they weren't interested in accepting Bitcoin donations at the time.  Doug seemed to think it would be an accounting headache.  They are also big time gold bugs.  It might be worth bringing it up with them again now that Bitcoin has received more press.  They have a real nice facility which lends itself to events and guest lectures.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
NghtRppr (OP)

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2011, 01:03:37 AM

I added a picture to the first post of the vouchers we'll be giving away.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 24, 2011, 03:13:14 AM

I visited the Mises institute last December and even talked with Doug French about Bitcoin.  It's on their radar, but they weren't interested in accepting Bitcoin donations at the time.  Doug seemed to think it would be an accounting headache.  They are also big time gold bugs.  It might be worth bringing it up with them again now that Bitcoin has received more press.  They have a real nice facility which lends itself to events and guest lectures.

thats really interesting to hear about French.  as a "big time" gold bug myself i somewhat sympathize with his viewpoint but also am enthused about btc.  i think gold bugs believe we will have an armageddon scenario where only physical coins in your hand will keep you alive.  btc users otoh believe that society will go on and technology will remain a big part of how we transact.  i'm thinking of debulking a bit of my bullion supply to invest in btc.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: