Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:31:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New icon/logo  (Read 38556 times)
satoshi (OP)
Founder

Activity: 364
Merit: 6723

View Profile
February 24, 2010, 09:24:23 PM
Last edit: November 13, 2010, 12:22:26 AM by satoshi
Merited by EFS (100), ABCbits (10), BitcoinFX (1), bitmover (1), PrimeNumber7 (1)

New icons, what do you think?  Better than the old one?

Full size 530x529 image for scaling down to custom sizes:
http://www.bitcoin.org/download/bitcoin530.png

The perspective shadow was too thick on the larger sizes.  I updated 32, 48 and the full size.

I release these images into the public domain (copyright-free).  I request that derivative works be made public domain.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ihrhase

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 24, 2010, 09:32:29 PM

Pretty...
Sabunir

Activity: 41
Merit: 13

View Profile
February 25, 2010, 01:47:56 AM

I like them. Do they come in higher resolutions?
satoshi (OP)
Founder

View Profile
February 25, 2010, 01:56:24 AM

Yes, the original is 546x531 pixels.

It looks good at larger size too, but since the small icons are what you mostly always see, I wanted to judge it on those first.  I'll post larger sizes and full size a little later.
SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
February 25, 2010, 02:01:27 AM

I still dislike the currency symbol ... But at least the logos look good and clean.

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
Sabunir

View Profile
February 25, 2010, 02:28:49 AM

Yes, the original is 546x531 pixels.
Excellent. This would be a good resource for those participating in the banner contest. Why unequal dimensions?

My only suggestion would be to make the coin's text stand out more. At tiny resolutions outlines tend to be come unworkable, so a better option may be to experiment with contrast. Making the text significantly darker than the rest of the coin would likely increase readability. Alternately, you could make the inner circle color darker, and the text lighter.
satoshi (OP)
Founder

View Profile
February 26, 2010, 11:17:19 PM

Good suggestion.  I made the B slightly lighter and the background slightly darker.  Very slightly.  The foreground is now exactly the same colour as the BC in the old one.

It's kind of OK if you can't easily read the B in the 16x16.  At that size, you just need to see that it's a coin.  It doesn't matter so much what's embossed on it, just that there be some detail there because it wouldn't look like a coin if it was a blank smooth circle.

It's slightly wider than tall because the dark perspective under it goes more to the right than down.

I finished and posted the 32x31 and 48x47 versions in the first message.  I like the 48 a lot.

How does everyone feel about the B symbol with the two lines through the outside?  Can we live with that as our logo?
ihrhase

Activity: 42

View Profile
February 27, 2010, 03:12:42 AM

Works for me...
Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2010, 03:24:07 AM

How about an SVG version? That way we could automatically generate smaller and larger versions as needed, and storage in the Source Control Management is an option too.

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
satoshi (OP)
Founder

View Profile
February 27, 2010, 04:28:29 AM

How about an SVG version? That way we could automatically generate smaller and larger versions as needed.
I don't know how to do SVG, but I did the original very large, over 500 pixels across, so it can be scaled down.  I'll give the original when I'm finished.

I had to custom tweak each icon size so the vertical lines land square on their pixels, otherwise they're ugly blurry and inconsistent.  Such is the challenge of making icons.  The original will be good for scaling to custom sizes between 48 and 500 but not smaller.
giik

Activity: 24
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 01, 2010, 07:09:00 AM

When you use SVG or another vector-format, you don't have the problems you discribed when scaling the logo. Perhaps I'll give it a go in Illustrator.
satoshi (OP)
Founder

View Profile
March 02, 2010, 02:33:05 AM

We have the standard icon sizes, and the full size scales nicely to anything else.

I added the full size to the first post.
Sabunir

View Profile
March 02, 2010, 04:16:41 AM

Thank you. I have updated my "Accept Bitcoin" buttons and banner (version twos) to use your new coin.
Bitquux

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 29, 2010, 05:31:58 PM

Here's a vector graphic (SVG). I'm no expert, so it may not be optimal, but it should work for the most part.

http://www.shalhoon.com/bitcoin.svg

(You may need to right-click and "Save As..." if your browser thinks it knows how to display it).
Bitquux

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 29, 2010, 05:50:23 PM

After some toying, this one seems a bit more crisp.

http://www.shalhoon.com/bitcoin2.svg

tcatm

Activity: 337
Merit: 265

View Profile
August 04, 2010, 02:31:56 AM

I also made an SVG version. It's not as shiny as the original logo, though.
ArrowJ

Activity: 21
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2010, 06:21:14 AM
Merited by ABCbits (1), BitcoinFX (1)

Is this the "official" logo? I understand how difficult it can be to make something truly professional when you don't have the skills (which I don't) or the software (which I also don't) so I'm not trying to be rude, but wouldn't it be better if we adopted something...better? I really am not trying to be mean...I really have struggled trying to figure out how to do the stuff that a lot of the artists on deviant do.

There is at least one other thread with a set of logos and badges that are really, really promising here: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1631.0 I promise I don't know this guy/gal (I didn't even check the username). Heck if someone else came up with another alternative that would be cool too. It seems important that we have a really nice logo with all the sizes, resolutions, and formats that might be needed.

Is there a reason we couldn't adopt something else before bitcoin gets too big and it's too late to change without hurting "brand" recognition? It seems silly to stick with something that is "ok" when we could have something great.

I hope I didn't step on anyone's toes to badly.
Anonymous

November 02, 2010, 07:20:25 AM

Is this the "official" logo? I understand how difficult it can be to make something truly professional when you don't have the skills (which I don't) or the software (which I also don't) so I'm not trying to be rude, but wouldn't it be better if we adopted something...better? I really am not trying to be mean...I really have struggled trying to figure out how to do the stuff that a lot of the artists on deviant do.

There is at least one other thread with a set of logos and badges that are really, really promising here: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1631.0 I promise I don't know this guy/gal (I didn't even check the username). Heck if someone else came up with another alternative that would be cool too. It seems important that we have a really nice logo with all the sizes, resolutions, and formats that might be needed.

Is there a reason we couldn't adopt something else before bitcoin gets too big and it's too late to change without hurting "brand" recognition? It seems silly to stick with something that is "ok" when we could have something great.

I hope I didn't step on anyone's toes to badly.

Satoshi created bitcoin so that is his preferred one hence it is the "official" one. The project is open source so if you can come up with something better people will adopt it. Thats the nature of things and of bitcoin itself.

What exactly is your issue with the "official" logo?

srb123

Activity: 58

View Profile
November 02, 2010, 10:39:22 AM

ArrowJ is right, image is everything, and its best left to the Pro's. (i.e. Not me.)

That said, the name "Bitcoin" is pretty uninspiring start for a Graphic Designer, IMO. (But that is a whole other discussion.)

Kudos to Bitboy on his contribution, this kind of simple smooth and sharp image instantly tells the viewer that we are in 2010.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
November 02, 2010, 10:46:19 AM

Stop complaining. The current logo is just good enough.
It has all the properties a good logo should have.

PS.
After bitcoin goes mainstream, satoshi will be incredibly rich and he can afford some professional artist to polish it more Wink

PS2.
After some consideration, i think that the logo could be easily polished a little by adding some more 3D-effect to the coin borders, so it would actually look like a real coin. But the rest is 100% OK.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: