Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:09:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox withdrawal issues  (Read 4043 times)
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 06:16:46 PM

why would my receiving BTC addresses from my client be getting an "invalid bitcoin address" error over at MtGox for under $1K?  BTC client is actively generating BTC's so i know its connected to the network.  owners of MtGox aren't responding via email.
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 07:43:42 PM

Hi cypherdoc. Try #bitcoin-otc channel on freenode. Look for MagicalTux. As far as I know he is in charge. If you get no answer there, he's probably asleep as it's 4:40am in Japan at the moment
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 07:55:58 PM

why would my receiving BTC addresses from my client be getting an "invalid bitcoin address" error over at MtGox for under $1K?  BTC client is actively generating BTC's so i know its connected to the network.  owners of MtGox aren't responding via email.

That is the message that I've seen on other sites when the bitcoin daemon had not been responding.  I just tested BTC withdrawal and was successful.  Does your problem persist?

Though it appears Mt. Gox site does a good job of sanitizing input to ignore spaces or other extraneous characters, I've seen a similar problem when copying a bitcoin address from a browser page that when pasted included characters that were not visitble nor were they part of the bitcoin address but as a result the "invalid address message" was shown.  To resolve that situation, I pasted the address in notepad and then did copy once again of the bitcoin address from notepad which was then "clean".

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 07:58:50 PM

Post your receiving address here and we'll tell you if we think it's an invalid address. It might be a stupid error like a truncated address.

For example, if you copy-and-paste from Gmail it inserts a non-breaking space character. Use Gmail's "Show Original" option to circumvent this problem.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 08:10:00 PM

1AtGauB6WQsiiNHCFTgm36Kcma7mYq8D9E
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 08:20:19 PM

at mtgox in withdrawal window for Currency i check "Bitcoins", for Amount to Withdraw i enter "641" so that last price amounts to $1000.  i paste btc address above and click Send.  then i get the "invalid btc address" error.  anything i'm doing wrong?
ribuck
Donator

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 08:40:28 PM

I just sent you 0.01 BTC, so you can see that your address is good.

Try withdrawing just 1 bitcoin to see what happens, to rule out the possibility that you are tripping some limit.
ribuck
Donator

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 08:44:30 PM

Also, how are you getting the receiving address into MtGox? The safest way is to use "Copy to clipboard" in the Bitcoin client, then immediately control-V or command-V into MtGox.

If you are copying the address from any other software (e.g. a word processing document) there's a chance that formatting characters are getting copied.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 08:54:26 PM

ribuck, thank you sir.  you're a gentleman.  yes i got it.  i am clicking the Copy to Clipboard in the client and pasting directly into mtgox.  also tried the Notepad recommendation above but it didn't work.  let me try a small amt.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 09:12:45 PM

sgornick was right.  copying from clipboard and pasting directly to mtgox appends 4 invisible characters to end of address invalidating it.  i got it to work finally but shook my confidence in the system.
MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 09:25:11 PM

sgornick was right.  copying from clipboard and pasting directly to mtgox appends 4 invisible characters to end of address invalidating it.  i got it to work finally but shook my confidence in the system.

I'll add a trim() at the input time to see if it helps. Please let me know if this solves the use of clipboard-copied addresses.

Thanks
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 09:42:34 PM

ribuck.  send me an address and i'll return your btc.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 09:45:50 PM

is it that difficult to s/\W//g or something along those lines on the bitcoin address field? Come on MtGox! One line of code could save you hundreds of hours in support time not to mention much less anxiety for the customers.

you're so right. i've been pounding those guys for the last 24 hrs trying to get help but only found it here thru the forum.  sheesh....
MagicalTux
VIP

-

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 09:47:22 PM

is it that difficult to s/\W//g or something along those lines on the bitcoin address field? Come on MtGox! One line of code could save you hundreds of hours in support time not to mention much less anxiety for the customers.

you're so right. i've been pounding those guys for the last 24 hrs trying to get help but only found it here thru the forum.  sheesh....

I'd say for the last 9 hours, which matches exactly night here in Japan.

http://www.magicaltux.net/date.php
ribuck
Donator

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 09:50:51 PM

ribuck.  send me an address and i'll return your btc.

You can send it here:
1AtGauB6WQsiiNHCFTgm36Kcma7mYq8D9E

I was going to say "no need to return the bit-cent", but I suppose it might be worth a million dollars one day Smiley
MagicalTux
VIP

-

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 10:09:53 PM

I would like to avoid "guessing" the user input, especially when it's about sending funds there.

In the meantime I'll just drop any non-alphanumeric char, but I would expect users who want to withdraw funds to double check their input (well, here the bitcoin client is adding invisible chars, not much you can do about it I guess...)
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 11:04:52 PM

I would like to avoid "guessing" the user input, especially when it's about sending funds there.

In the meantime I'll just drop any non-alphanumeric char, but I would expect users who want to withdraw funds to double check their input (well, here the bitcoin client is adding invisible chars, not much you can do about it I guess...)

thats the thing.  the input after the paste into the address box doesn't show the extra invisible characters.  only after the reject in the red invalid address error where it repeats the address do u see them.
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2011, 11:34:16 PM

i am clicking the Copy to Clipboard in the client and pasting directly into mtgox.  also tried the Notepad recommendation above but it didn't work.
What operating system?  This sounds like a wxWidgets or bitcoin client bug that needs fixing.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 11:47:44 PM

i am clicking the Copy to Clipboard in the client and pasting directly into mtgox.  also tried the Notepad recommendation above but it didn't work.
What operating system?  This sounds like a wxWidgets or bitcoin client bug that needs fixing.

MacOSx  Snow Leopard
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 12:06:18 AM

if i remember correctly the 4 encrypted characters were \0\0
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: