Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:29:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bounty for Bitcoin Animated Movie [won]  (Read 88203 times)
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 13, 2010, 09:46:46 PM

Historicly the yellow metal was prized for it's beauty in jewelry.  In our modern world, there are many uses for it in industry for which it is ideal even though it is too expensive.  For example, lead is poisonous to humanity, but it's mass number makes it both a wonderful material for making ship ballasts and radiation shielding.  Gold has been used for both these things in the past, but only in very specific situations.  

If people ever figure out how to mine gold on asteroids, than its industrial uses will be widespread.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 14, 2010, 12:03:07 AM

Although gold is a commodity, gold coins are not a commodity.

Hmmm, I don't think that this is a very good way to say this.  Not that I disagree, per se; but I think that it is more confusing than anything since the coins can be melted and return to a commodity by anyone at will.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
NewLibertyStandard

Activity: 252
Merit: 268

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2010, 01:21:38 PM

Hmmm, I don't think that this is a very good way to say this.  Not that I disagree, per se; but I think that it is more confusing than anything since the coins can be melted and return to a commodity by anyone at will.
It gets at the point. The gold that the gold coins are made of, is still a commodity while it's a gold coin. But the features which make the gold coins, coins, are features of a manufactured product, not a raw material. Commodities are the raw materials from which manufactured products are created. Bitcoins are manufactured from commodities. Bitcoins are not a raw material used to manufacture products.

Treazant: A Fullever Rewarding Bitcoin - Backup Your Wallet TODAY to Double Your Money! - Dual Currency Donation Address: 1Dnvwj3hAGSwFPMnkJZvi3KnaqksRPa74p
fresno

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 14, 2010, 03:54:16 PM

Could we lose the "$" sign in this thread's title and the dubious conversion into Federal Reserve Notes? The quickest way to get this project shut down is to encroach on the territory of the Federal Reserve.

The further the Bitcoin can distance itself from the Fed, "coinage", "currency", and even "money", the better.

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 14, 2010, 08:04:37 PM

Commodities are the raw materials from which manufactured products are created. Bitcoins are manufactured from commodities. Bitcoins are not a raw material used to manufacture products.

I understand what you are trying to say here, but again, I don't think this is a good way to say it.  Unlike gold coins that can be melted down for their material value, bitcoins are irreverseble.  More so than even the printing of a US note, since if the value of a note were to drop below the value of the paper itself, at least the paper can still be burned for heat.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2010, 08:07:44 PM

Could we lose the "$" sign in this thread's title and the dubious conversion into Federal Reserve Notes? The quickest way to get this project shut down is to encroach on the territory of the Federal Reserve.

The further the Bitcoin can distance itself from the Fed, "coinage", "currency", and even "money", the better.

I don't think it's much of a risk. But it isn't aesthetically pleasing to me anyway. Not to mention that conversions like that ought be construed as offers, in which case I'd like to do some business.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2010, 08:11:00 PM

It gets at the point. The gold that the gold coins are made of, is still a commodity while it's a gold coin. But the features which make the gold coins, coins, are features of a manufactured product, not a raw material. Commodities are the raw materials from which manufactured products are created. Bitcoins are manufactured from commodities. Bitcoins are not a raw material used to manufacture products.

What? You can't make a gold coin out of gold only. You need equipment and energy too, and you cannot get those things back from the coin.

AND you need equipment and energy to get gold out of the ground and you cannot get those back either.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
NewLibertyStandard

Activity: 252
Merit: 268

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2010, 08:43:48 PM

This discussion about whether bitcoins are a commodity is way off topic and dragging on, so I moved it over to its own thread.

Treazant: A Fullever Rewarding Bitcoin - Backup Your Wallet TODAY to Double Your Money! - Dual Currency Donation Address: 1Dnvwj3hAGSwFPMnkJZvi3KnaqksRPa74p
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2010, 06:24:33 PM

So, how is the video making going?

mizerydearia

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
August 17, 2010, 10:27:33 PM

I followed up with http://www.cyriak.co.uk this time using email.  Perhaps he may notice the message sooner now and maybe he will take interest in producing a most amazingly and epically awesome animation/video that our community can be proud of and excited by.
RHorning

Activity: 224
Merit: 141

View Profile
August 18, 2010, 04:41:35 PM

Looking at this thread, I wonder if perhaps a group could collaboratively work on developing something using Scratch:

http://scratch.mit.edu/

If you are looking for something easy to work with that can permit a group effort for editing, remixing, and doing some simple animation, this is at least a good first step.  For crying out loud, their target audience for this media environment is middle-school aged kids (roughly 10-14 year olds, although there is a very healthy adult community using this software too).  My kids have used the microphone from our Rock Band set and have created some pretty impressive videos, and converting a Scratch project to an MPEG file is relatively trivial if that is a goal too.

I might just try to come up with something using Scratch myself, as that sounds like a fun project and would only take a few hours to get it accomplished.  It is certainly something that a single person could perhaps create with a relatively trivial amount of effort.
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2010, 07:42:43 PM

Progress report, mizerydearia.

mizerydearia

View Profile
August 21, 2010, 02:28:05 AM

No word from Cyriak.  I am not certain if he will respond.  However, according to http://www.cyriak.co.uk/info.html
Quote from: cyriak
I use adobe photoshop and after effects for most of my animations, and have worked on a wide variety of commercial projects, from tv advertising to channel idents to music videos.

Also, from an interview I read, he uses fruityloops to make music.

With enough effort, someone else may be able to make something amazing too, however, I do not believe that most can match his creativity/awesomeness.

It would be amazing if he were to show attention towards this.
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2010, 07:40:22 PM

Any words, mizerydearia?

kiba
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2010, 03:34:11 PM

Nothing happening?

kiba
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2010, 04:21:47 PM

Project dead? Cry

Insti

Activity: 294
Merit: 252

Firstbits: 1duzy

View Profile
August 28, 2010, 04:31:18 PM

I've been working on a script.
Not got anywhere near animating anything yet..
mizerydearia

View Profile
August 29, 2010, 03:52:18 AM

Perhaps those that are contributing towards the development of an animated movie should be specific of their expectations.  For example, anyone can put forth their own effort to produce an animated film of Bitcoin, but will it be worthy of all or any of the bitcoin donations offered to produce a short anim?  Clarification on expectations are necessary.
Insti

Activity: 294
Merit: 252

Firstbits: 1duzy

View Profile
August 29, 2010, 06:53:18 AM
Last edit: August 29, 2010, 07:32:03 AM by Insti

Perhaps those that are contributing towards the development of an animated movie should be specific of their expectations.  For example, anyone can put forth their own effort to produce an animated film of Bitcoin, but will it be worthy of all or any of the bitcoin donations offered to produce a short anim?  Clarification on expectations are necessary.

Did you read this thread!?!

You might also notice we're not suffering an overabundance of movies..

Edit: fixed link
mizerydearia

View Profile
August 29, 2010, 07:28:01 AM

Perhaps those that are contributing towards the development of an animated movie should be specific of their expectations.  For example, anyone can put forth their own effort to produce an animated film of Bitcoin, but will it be worthy of all or any of the bitcoin donations offered to produce a short anim?  Clarification on expectations are necessary.

Did you read this thread!?!

You might also notice we're not suffering an overabundance of movies..

Did you mean to link a different thread?  Your link refers to teh fourth page of this thread.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: