Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:24:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thank God, You Can Now Applaud People!  (Read 7950 times)
ploum

Activity: 428
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2011, 09:47:16 AM

What was decided? Do you need a certain number of posts to be able to applause someone else?

Maybe we could say that if someone was applauded 10times, he can applaud others himself.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
The Script

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 06, 2011, 10:04:56 AM

What was decided? Do you need a certain number of posts to be able to applause someone else?

Maybe we could say that if someone was applauded 10times, he can applaud others himself.

Theymos (moderator) says you need a post count of 250 to applaud or smite someone, I'm not sure how that was decided.  This is irony because this post is my 250th....

EDIT: And I can now applaud/smite so 250 post count is the required amount.
The Script

View Profile
May 06, 2011, 10:08:21 AM

Oh, it's already out of hand. I don't see this lasting long.

Any idea how you got so many negatives already?  People mad at you?  From the posts that I've read of yours you seem to be legit as hell.  And that's a compliment....   Cheesy
ploum

Activity: 428
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2011, 10:22:45 AM

Theymos (moderator) says you need a post count of 250 to applaud or smite someone,

I'm not fan of those "posts limit" (because some people post few and insightful messages when people like me post a lot of small and useless messages). But I agree that, at least, it draws a barrier which is definitely needed. Better than nothing I guess.

The Script

View Profile
May 06, 2011, 11:40:10 AM

Theymos (moderator) says you need a post count of 250 to applaud or smite someone,

I'm not fan of those "posts limit" (because some people post few and insightful messages when people like me post a lot of small and useless messages). But I agree that, at least, it draws a barrier which is definitely needed. Better than nothing I guess.

Yeah, I'm not sure of how better to do it.  Perhaps if everyone only got a certain number per month: 10 plus and 5 minus they can use each month.  By limiting the supply you will increase the "price" of the ratings then and people will be a lot more cautious in doling them out.  Of course, then we might see the rise of a meta-bitcoin currency where people buy and sell ratings.  Tongue  I think it will be an imperfect system any way you look at it, but at least 250 posts isn't too unreasonable to reach if you've been a part of the forum for a while.  Even if aren't a loquacious poster.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2011, 09:44:58 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure of how better to do it.  Perhaps if everyone only got a certain number per month: 10 plus and 5 minus they can use each month.  By limiting the supply you will increase the "price" of the ratings then and people will be a lot more cautious in doling them out.  Of course, then we might see the rise of a meta-bitcoin currency where people buy and sell ratings.  Tongue  I think it will be an imperfect system any way you look at it, but at least 250 posts isn't too unreasonable to reach if you've been a part of the forum for a while.  Even if aren't a loquacious poster.

It needs some limit for sure. Or else we'll find out who is most liked by the people who most like to give out ratings.

I think it would be good to charge .1 positive rating for every rating you give out. Or even make the price go up with each rating given and drop over time.

Gimme a minute and I'll think of something even more complicated Smiley

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2011, 09:48:19 PM

I think it's a mistake to conflate reputation with how many people agree with what you said here on the forums. I see a lot of minuses being handed out already, and I'd hate to have people think these numbers have anything to do with how trustworthy a person is as a trade partner.

True.

Yeah, this actually makes me think it's a bad idea or at least not worth it.

I don't think most will neg people for disagreeing, but only for doing it in obtuse or hostile ways. Well, if that is true then maybe people will try harder to avoid losing trade rep. I dunno if it's a good proxy or 'fair', but maybe it improves incentives. I guess I'll withhold judgement for a while.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 10:07:02 PM
Last edit: May 07, 2011, 10:26:22 PM by witchspace

Whoopiedoo I have a -1 now.

Any way I can find out why?

I guess the answer is no.

Suggestion: add an option to view which post was voted down.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
malditonuke

Activity: 145
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 11:22:38 PM

Here is an idea I had that I posted in another thread:

I have an idea about these rating systems.  How about instead of applying the ratings equally to everyone, the ratings are instead weight-adjusted to reflect your own ratings?  Kind of like how netflix tries to give you movie recommendations based off of your ratings.

The goal is that if you and I similarly rate people, then your ratings will have more weight from my point of view.  And the more we rate the same people differently, the less weight your ratings will affect how I perceive people.  In this way, goofy raters will not impact serious raters.  Similar raters' perceptions will be most affected by each other.

Whaddya think?

Edit:

Call it a "social network reputation system"
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 12:03:52 AM
Last edit: May 08, 2011, 12:14:56 AM by psy

Here is an idea I had that I posted in another thread:

I have an idea about these rating systems.  How about instead of applying the ratings equally to everyone, the ratings are instead weight-adjusted to reflect your own ratings?  Kind of like how netflix tries to give you movie recommendations based off of your ratings.

The goal is that if you and I similarly rate people, then your ratings will have more weight from my point of view.  And the more we rate the same people differently, the less weight your ratings will affect how I perceive people.  In this way, goofy raters will not impact serious raters.  Similar raters' perceptions will be most affected by each other.

Whaddya think?

Edit:

Call it a "social network reputation system"

That's not a new thing. vbulleetin reputation system works just like you described.
malditonuke

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 12:13:51 AM

That's not a new thing. vbulleetin reputation system works just like you described.

I hadn't heard of it before.  By any chance, do you know of an open-source system like that?
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 12:16:07 AM

By any chance, do you know of an open-source system like that?

Not really. I have one phpbb forum and getting a simple MOD for a thanks button to work properly was a challenge Cheesy
malditonuke

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 12:44:37 AM
Last edit: May 08, 2011, 01:06:20 AM by malditonuke

Now that I've searched their site, I'm not sure that their system works like what I have in mind.  The user-unique weighting isn't there.  I don't think I explained my idea clearly.

Example 1:

Joe rates Sam +1.  He rates Albert +1.  He rates Julie -1.
Clifford rates Sam +1. He rates Albert +1.  But he hasn't yet rated Julie.

So for Clifford, when he looks at Julie, he sees a suggested rating of -1.

Example 2:

Joe rates Sam +1. Albert +1. Julie -1.
Clifford rates Sam -1. Albert -1.  No Julie rating.

In that case, Clifford sees no suggested rating for Julie.

Edit:

Example 3:

Joe rates Sam +1, Albert +1, Julie -1.
Clifford rates Sam -1, Albert -1, Julie +1.
Frank rates Sam +1, Albert +1.

Therefore, Frank sees a suggested rating of -1 for Julie.  (non-correlating ratings are ignored on a per-user basis)

Activity: 476

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 04:52:12 AM

Can someone please post a screenshot where the buttons are located? I can't seem to see them... (does it matter if someone has a bad rep?)

Edit: I see in this thread: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7502.0 that you need to have 250 posts before you see the buttons. OK.
The Script

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 05:38:25 AM

Can someone please post a screenshot where the buttons are located? I can't seem to see them... (does it matter if someone has a bad rep?)

Edit: I see in this thread: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7502.0 that you need to have 250 posts before you see the buttons. OK.

In case you want a sneak-preview:

Bad reps only matter if people think they matter.  For example you have a net rep of 0, but I've dialogued with you enough on this forum to think that you deserve higher so it isn't going to affect what I think of you.  Newer members or members who haven't dialogued with you may be more hesitant to trade with you. 

Activity: 476

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 06:12:30 AM

And to be perfectly honest, I've decided not to trade with this account anyway. I try to keep my politics away from other things.
jmatson

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2011, 10:26:41 PM

This rating system sucks  Angry
It needs to be abolished!
Miner-TE

Activity: 499
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 10, 2011, 12:55:51 AM

This rating system sucks  Angry
It needs to be abolished!

* I wave my hand *

Done.

Cool

BTC - 1PeMMYGn7xbZjUYeaWe9ct1VV6szLS1vkD - LTC - LbtcJRJJQQBjZuHr6Wm7vtB9RnnWtRNYpq
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: