Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:31:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MinAddress : Now remember your addresses easily  (Read 6751 times)
ak111in (OP)

Activity: 180
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 02:01:27 PM
Last edit: September 14, 2014, 04:40:56 PM by ak111in

Hi,

MinAddress is condensed form of your address with the following features:
Next generation address which is easy to remember and type
Case insensitive
Permanent and secure
Easy to verify

MinAddress uses the following concept making it permanent, secure and easy to verify:

Full address to Min-Address Conversion:
#Take the full address and find the block in which the first transaction to address occurs.The block number is the converted to hex-code and forms the first part of Min-Address.
#Get all the receiving addresses in the block and do a case insensitive comparison to find the minimum number of initial characters which uniquely identify the address, this forms the second part of the Min-Address.

Min-Address to Full address Conversion:
#Take the First part of the Min-Address and convert it to decimal, this is the block number.
#Get all the receiving addresses in the block and do a case insensitive comparison to find full address which uniquely matches the second part of the Min-Address.

After every conversion you will get a verify link which can be used to verify your Min-Address/Full Address.

Example: Bitcoin Full Address: 17ykeSBpC8MrJr4GrizNUYz6DEnwQ598fQ
             Min-Address: 3fa5b-17yk
             Verify Link: http://blockexplorer.com/block/00000000000000099f086871f03d03f6639b89799cb6d452a9f34c5764f83dcb

Currently, we support:
Bitcoin addresses, Litecoin addresses and Dogecoin addresses.

Hope this is helpful.

Please donate to this project so that we can continue the support and development.
Bitcoin : 1PPJ5x74KEo9euEiSJKxyBUfHMRQrXKL1f
Litecoin : LNz69V1Ls4cwML4YpCanoM4PAHREQbFfV7
Dogecoin : DJvvwFHgFX9qypeEYWsuscdWodtanLCN6X

For more information please visit www.minaddress.info

Regards

IMPORTANT

It seems that many people confuse this with some kind of centralized system where I can later change the Min-Address. To clarify the information is completely based on blockchain and in no way the Min-Address can be modified. Also even if MinAddress.info is down, the user can easily convert the Min-Address to Full-Address. Suppose you have a min address 3fa5b-17yk which you want to convert to full address. Just use any online tool to convert the first part "3fa5b" to decimal from hex which will be 260699. Now go to block 260699 in any bitcoin blockchain like blockexplorer.com and search for "17yk" .You will get your complete address 17ykeSBpC8MrJr4GrizNUYz6DEnwQ598fQ.

Minaddress.info just automates the conversion process[which can be done manually as shown above] and has no control over the final Min-address.

MinAddress Update [14-9-14]:

• Support for formats 17lv:46e02 as well as 46e02-17lv
  • Added blockchain.info as backup data source along with blockexplorer.com to provide better service
  • Added AddressMap which can be used for quick visual verification of addresses
  • One to One Correspondence between MinAddress and Full Address implemented to prevent mistakes in MinAddress

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sutters Mill

Activity: 976
Merit: 575

Cryptophile at large

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 03:18:14 PM

I think something like this would be a great and useful idea, but it would be difficult for me to trust fully without it being proven safe 100% by others. Not saying yours isn't but I'd need to look into it more and have vouches from respected people.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 4505

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 03:19:52 PM

I think something like this would be a great and useful idea, but it would be difficult for me to trust fully without it being proven safe 100% by others. Not saying yours isn't but I'd need to look into it more and have vouches from respected people.

It requires you to re-use the address. Other than that is appears to be "safe".
Divinespark

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 03:35:46 PM

Isn't re-using the same address not regarded as questionable?
i.e not the recommended best practice?

.AMEPAY..
█  FAST
█  CONVENIENT
█  SECURE
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
||$600,000
worth of AME
!
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Finchy

Activity: 315
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 03:42:44 PM

Well it's not recommended as the best practice but I don't see anything dangerous in doing so. I think it's just a precautionary measure. I'm sure DannyHamilton will now tell me otherwise, though hehe.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1072

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2014, 03:46:44 PM

Isn't this basically just "firstbits" (which seems to have disappeared a while back)?

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2014, 04:09:20 PM
Last edit: September 08, 2014, 04:20:44 PM by CIYAM

firstbits was a centralized concept as the conversion was based on database entries which may be modified leading to trust issues. MinAddress conversion is completely based on blockchain information and in no way the Min-Address can be modified.

Oh - I had thought that firstbits was just an *algo* that was based upon the blockchain also (happy to be corrected if you can show me a link). In any case firstbits doesn't work now so nice to see the idea appear again (now let's see if you can talk blockchain.info into using it).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

amaclin
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 04:13:19 PM

reimplemented oddress  Grin
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=455303.0
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2014, 04:28:50 PM

Getting blockchain.info into using this seems a LONG LONG AWAY Smiley

They did use to use firstbits (not sure if they stopped because firstbits stopped or if they just decided that they didn't like the idea).

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2014, 04:41:34 PM

Thanks for the info, I was not aware, will contact them.

Please do - as much as the issues of address re-use are very real when you are *away from your computer* and need to receive BTC from someone it does makes things much easier if you can type in something like "1ciyam" into blockchain.info to find an address that can be used (and yes 1ciyam is my "firstbits" from way back).

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 1295

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 05:21:50 PM

Well it's not recommended as the best practice but I don't see anything dangerous in doing so. I think it's just a precautionary measure. I'm sure DannyHamilton will now tell me otherwise, though hehe.

It is not as secure when you reuse addresses and it is not as anonymous.

Prior to spending from an address, iirc, you know the RIPEMD hash of the SHA256 hash.  Once you have sent from (spent the outputs) from the address, more information is revealed and you know the ECDSA public key. 

See

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Address_reuse

:-)

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2014, 05:24:47 PM

Prior to spending from an address, iirc, you know the RIPEMD hash of the SHA256 hash.  Once you have sent from (spent the outputs) from the address, more information is revealed and you know the ECDSA public key. 

True - it would never be advised as "good practice" to re-use an address but for small amounts (which you are not worried about being traced) the convenience is attractive (especially in a situation where you don't have access to your wallet but need to receive a payment).

ensurance982

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Trust me!

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 05:45:02 PM

Huh, that looks very interesting! There could of course be attack-vectors we don't see right now, but it seems like a great idea! The addresses aren't exactly easy to remember, but much shorter. I wonder whether there are caveats they haven't considered!

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
Damnyo

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 05:55:48 PM

Seems like a somewhat useful feature.
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
September 08, 2014, 06:14:23 PM

That's interesting! I once had a similar idea, but never got around to actually implement it. Also, I don't know if anyone has ever tried to implement that idea before, so my idea may very well be existing somewhere, and the fact that I don't know about it, renders it failed.

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1129

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2014, 06:30:38 PM

I do not understand/see the advantages of this proposal over the Firstbits algorithm.

Firstbits for my vanity address is 1BurtW (or 1burtw Firstbits is not case sensitive)

MinAddress for my vanity address would be something like XXXXX-1Bu

This whole concern about security is a bogus.  Both Firstbits and MinAddress are identical in this regard in that neither has an issue because both algorithms are based on finding the first transaction that sent BTC to the address, not from the address.

There are no security issues with sending BTC to an address - only spending from the same address multiple times.

However, Vanity addresses, Firstbits and MinAddress are all equally bad ideas because they encourage address reuse which reduces privacy for the entire Bitcoin system and could lead to the destruction of the fungible property of Bitcoin.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2014, 06:44:02 PM

Getting blockchain.info into using this seems a LONG LONG AWAY Smiley

They did use to use firstbits (not sure if they stopped because firstbits stopped or if they just decided that they didn't like the idea).

Thanks for the info, I was not aware, will contact them.
The reason Firstbits fell out of favor and is no longer used is because it is very dangerous.

For example if I give you the address 1BurtWEejbnKeBRsvcydJvsNztB1bXV5iQ it may be long and a pain in the ass to type in but if you make any mistakes it will not be accepted as valid because it has a built in checksum.

If I give you 1BurtW and you type 1Burt or 1BurtS by mistake you will end up sending the BTC to the wrong address.

I think the same thing applies to this proposal although the chances that a mistake leads to not finding a valid incorrect address will be slightly improved.

BTW I don't think blockchain.info will implement this algorithm since they already have removed the Firstbits algorithm due to safety concerns.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2014, 08:07:06 PM

It does look better than firstbits in the ways you describe, worse in readability, but that is the tradeoff.

It is basically a type of compressed version of the address for those addresses that are in the blockchain, has some amount of error checking unless you are unlucky, etc.

BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2014, 08:20:23 PM

Full address to Min-Address Conversion:
#Take the full address and find the block in which the first transaction to address occurs.  The block number is the converted to hex-code and forms the first part of Min-Address.
#Get all the receiving addresses in the block and do a case insensitive comparison to find the minimum number of initial characters which uniquely identify the address, this forms the second part of the Min-Address.

#Take the First part of the Min-Address and convert it to decimal, this is the block number.
#Get all the receiving addresses in the block and do a case insensitive comparison to find full address which uniquely matches the second part of the Min-Address.

Not sure why you limit yourself to the first block.  Seems like this would work on any block that has the address of interest.  In fact, just like any compression algorithm you should allow the compressor to spend more time during compression and possibly get more compression while decompression is still the same.  In fact for video compression algorithms like MPEG only the decompression algorithm is defined and the compression algorithm is left totally undefined and up to the implemetor.  In this case your entire idea can be defined as:

#Take the First The first part of the Min-Address and convert it to decimal, this is the hex block number.
#Get all the receiving addresses in the block and do a case insensitive comparison to find the full address which uniquely matches the second part of the Min-Address.

If there is not a unique match [there are more than one match] then the conversion fails.

That way, if I want to, I can design a compressor that searches all the blocks and finds the one that gives me the shortest address.

Example I might find:  12fed-1myadd, 13eac-1myad  and 14e56-1m will all decode to the same address and pick the shortest one

BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2014, 08:59:44 PM

Once a minaddress is created and published it can be used from then on.  Sure other minaddresses that map to the same address can be found at a later time but the original can still be used.  You don't have to change it just because you can.  Even though I am totally against address reuse due to privacy and fungibility concerns, people that wish to could publish a minaddress and the published minaddress will be good forever.

This is exactly why you should not specify the encoding process - only specify the decoding process.

If I want max encoding speed then I can start at the most recent block and search backwards for the first (most recent) block to contain the address of interest.  If I want max compression I can search all blocks from 0 to the most recent.  I can do either, it is up to me as the encoder.  I can even write an encoder that gives the end user the option:  speed (but may not be the best result) or minimum length (but may take a while to encode).  Your method of using the first block to contain the address is slower than using the most recent block that contains the address but it give you one thing:  unique one-to-one mapping.

However, I am not sure that you need to have a unique  Bitcoin address to min address mapping.  Do you have a use case in mind that requires that everyone (all entities) that encodes a Bitcoin address must come up with the same encoding result?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: