Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:25:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: proposal for currency symbol for 'bits' (=1/1000000 BTC)  (Read 4227 times)
9kv

Activity: 145
Merit: 100

Learning

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 06:10:38 PM

Those sound terrible.
 You have to consider that professionals will be using this terminology. CEOs of companies are not going to be going around and saying "Our new product should cost 30 en-bees".

And yet they are perfectly happy to say that their product should cost 30 "doll-ors", 30 "you-rows", or 30 "pay-soes"?
Yes.

dol·lar
Origin

from early Flemish or Low German daler, from German T(h)aler, short for Joachimsthaler, a coin from the silver mine of Joachimsthal (‘Joachim's valley’), now Jáchymov in the Czech Republic. The term was later applied to a coin used in the Spanish American colonies, which was also widely used in the British North American colonies at the time of the American Revolution, hence adopted as the name of the US monetary unit in the late 18th century

en·bee
Origin

a term made up by Internet user DannyHamilton that has no real meaning and no real history

Whoa, wait a second. What exactly are you discussing? Etymology, or sound? Because “Those sound terrible” say NOTHING about etymology, but then you're saying the reason they sound terrible is because of their etymology.
The reason they don't sound terrible to us is because they have history and are from an actual language. Hence etymology is related to how something sounds.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 06:37:05 PM

Those sound terrible.
 You have to consider that professionals will be using this terminology. CEOs of companies are not going to be going around and saying "Our new product should cost 30 en-bees".

And yet they are perfectly happy to say that their product should cost 30 "doll-ors", 30 "you-rows", or 30 "pay-soes"?
Yes.

dol·lar
Origin

from early Flemish or Low German daler, from German T(h)aler, short for Joachimsthaler, a coin from the silver mine of Joachimsthal (‘Joachim's valley’), now Jáchymov in the Czech Republic. The term was later applied to a coin used in the Spanish American colonies, which was also widely used in the British North American colonies at the time of the American Revolution, hence adopted as the name of the US monetary unit in the late 18th century

en·bee
Origin

a term made up by Internet user DannyHamilton that has no real meaning and no real history

Whoa, wait a second. What exactly are you discussing? Etymology, or sound? Because “Those sound terrible” say NOTHING about etymology, but then you're saying the reason they sound terrible is because of their etymology.
The reason they don't sound terrible to us is because they have history and are from an actual language. Hence etymology is related to how something sounds.

“enbee” sounds like “envy”, a real word with real etymology. Anyway, I still disagree that etymology affects the pretty sound.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 06:58:18 PM
Last edit: September 17, 2014, 09:27:33 PM by DannyHamilton

“enbee” sounds like “envy”, a real word with real etymology. - snip -

Sounds more to me like what you get when you pronounce these two symbols:

nBTC

I'm not sure why anyone is so focused on that one example I gave.  I suppose it's to draw attention away from the other examples (such as "nans", "nanoes").

I wasn't specifically saying that any of those should be used, only that they were all reasonable options.

In the end the market will organically settle on something.  It could be "nano-bits", or "tinybits" or "widgets" for all I know.  Lets allow the future to decide what the future wants to call their money.
R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 17, 2014, 09:24:33 PM

Sorry, I forgot to add my own opinion on the topic.

I actually agree with you, DannyHamilton, that SI units should be preferred, but that ultimately the one that works for the most people will win.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: