Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:39:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Letter to the EFF  (Read 46781 times)
kiba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 13, 2010, 02:55:47 PM

Time to write a letter. Feel free to write your own paragraphs and the like, as well give feed back.

Dear EFF, the bitcoin community would like to donate X bitcoins, which are worth X USD because of the work EFF to protect new and emerging technologies, as well internet freedom. Bitcoin is a new emerging P2P cryptocurrency that have over 30 enterprises and a boatload of community members around the world. It have extremely low transaction cost, is hard to produce, and is hard to fake and as well many other property that make bitcoin a good money. As such it is probable that it will become a threat to centralized monetary system, whom are often backed by the state. Members of the bitcoin community as recognized this as a potential hazard impeding bitcoin adoption in addition to the threat of monetary freedom. We also recognized previously that you protect other kind of internet freedom, such as net neutrality. Thus, our motivation to donate to the EFF.

As, such, there are X unconditional donations, but there are X amount that have specific requirement for you to satisify. Conditions include the EFF setup a node and donation buttons for members of the bitcoin community to be able to donate. Others require you to mention bitcoin to help promote the cryptocurrency.

Of course, EFF can convert bitcoins to dollars at will, or buy goods and services with bitcoins, or simply do nothing with it at all. We, members of the bitcoin community hope that the EFF will put the donation to good use.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vess

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2010, 03:11:00 PM

My comment is that putting conditions in the EFF is rather silly:

If people want to donate, let them donate; they can send the money to a trusted party / wallet-on-a-VM, and we can send it over to the EFF if they want it. The EFF's goodwill and press is worth more than them running a node or two.

And, by the way, I think it's a good idea to turn the EFF on to Bitcoin. I would suggest that it might be a good job for someone with business development experience, a phone call and conversation might work wonders.

I'm the CEO of CoinLab (www.coinlab.com) and the Executive Director of the Bitcoin Foundation, I will identify if I'm speaking for myself or one of the organizations when I post from this account.
mizerydearia

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
August 13, 2010, 03:12:56 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2010, 04:17:57 PM by mizerydearia

How about using the wiki?  google wave?

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=778.msg8596#msg8596
I actually talked about Bitcoin with the EFF chairman a few days ago, he said it sounds cool and forwarded the link to some other EFF people. Smiley
silverman

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2010, 04:12:14 PM

I would like to use simple, direct language that transmits one message -- our support for EFF's agenda. If we are at all effective as a medium of exchange, they will naturally discover the rest of our story. Three short paragraphs, maximum:

1. Greetings: We appreciate your service to the community.

2. Who we are: Peer-to-peer network based digital currency.

3. How we can help: By donating xxx Bitcoins.

Sure, it is important to collect and discuss here the many things we will want to say, but let's please keep the final message brief and to the point.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2010, 04:45:20 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2010, 05:46:39 PM by kiba

I would like to use simple, direct language that transmits one message -- our support for EFF's agenda. If we are at all effective as a medium of exchange, they will naturally discover the rest of our story. Three short paragraphs, maximum:

Sure, it is important to collect and discuss here the many things we will want to say, but let's please keep the final message brief and to the point.

Very well: I follow your format.

Dear EFF, the bitcoin community appreciate your ongoing effort to protect internet freedom such as internet netruality and patent busting projects. We also see you an important partner to ensure that the bitcoin community goes unmolested or at least won't go down without a fight.

The bitcoin community is a society of users with over 30 business enterprises based around a new open source P2P cryptocurrency and monetary system called bitcoins. The software for bitcoin is published under the MIT license. It have extremely low transaction cost, is hard to produce, and is hard to fake and as well many other property that make bitcoin a good money. As such it is probable that it will become a threat to centralized monetary system, whom are often backed by governments. Members of the bitcoin community recognized government's interest in keeping their monetary monopoly and their resultant actions as possible threat to the growing bitcoin economy.

As, such, members of the bitcoin community would like to donate our goods, the cryptocurrency bitcoins to you. Members of the community will donate X bitcoins unconditionally, worth about X USD. We will also donate more if you fulfill various wishes such as putting up a bitcoin donation button, setting up a node and more. All together combined are X bitcoins, which are worth in total, X USD.

The EFF is free to convert bitcoins to other currencies at will, or buy goods and services with bitcoins, or simply do nothing with it at all. We, members of the bitcoin community hope that the EFF will put the donation to good use.

hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
August 13, 2010, 05:43:39 PM

Kiba, you forgot to mention that the bitcoin software is open source and GPL. Since we are writing to the EFF I think its important to specify it.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2010, 05:48:21 PM

Kiba, you forgot to mention that the bitcoin software is open source and GPL. Since we are writing to the EFF I think its important to specify it.
Edited the last letter to reflect this.

It's actually licensed under the MIT. So I made use of the spirit of your suggestion instead.

hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
August 13, 2010, 06:03:02 PM

It's actually licensed under the MIT. So I made use of the spirit of your suggestion instead.

No GPL? Unforgivable!!! I am leaving this community at once...  Roll Eyes

MIT is considered an open source license by the EFF, right?

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2010, 06:08:29 PM

No GPL? Unforgivable!!! I am leaving this community at once...  Roll Eyes

MIT is considered an open source license by the EFF, right?

Well, OSI and FSF would consider it open source.

BioMike
Legendary

Activity: 1658

View Profile
August 13, 2010, 07:52:27 PM

As such it is probable that it will become a threat to centralized monetary system, whom are often backed by governments. Members of the bitcoin community recognized government's interest in keeping their monetary monopoly and their resultant actions as possible threat to the growing bitcoin economy.

Is that actually true? Or an argument at all?
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
August 13, 2010, 08:00:35 PM

No GPL? Unforgivable!

The FSF acknowledges that the MIT license is compatible with the GPL. You can fork an MIT project into a GPL project if you like, after which your GPL fork is copyleft.

So the use of the MIT license shouldn't be an issue here.
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2010, 09:49:10 PM

So, does anybody have any constructive criticism for my letter? I found that I always write bad grammar and spell poorly.

mizerydearia

View Profile
August 14, 2010, 12:02:34 AM

So, does anybody have any constructive criticism for my letter? I found that I always write bad grammar and spell poorly.

I think start simple and expand upon ideas before producing a message.

Perhaps if effort by more than one, a wiki may be helpful to produce and refine a letter until it looks complete and is a message that most/everyone agrees is acceptable to send.

http://www.bitcoin.org/wiki/doku.php?id=letter_to_eff
Feel free to collaboratively add to it any points that may be worthy of including in such a message.  Bonus points if you are skilled at writing such messages and can contribute enough content to cover most everything that is essential in such a letter.

Note: If you disagree with one of the bulleted points for a paragraph, use strikethrough to indicate that it is not good point/sentence to use instead of removing it.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5152
Merit: 12580

View Profile
August 14, 2010, 12:05:28 AM

"Bitcoin" should always be capitalized, as it is a proper noun.

the bitcoin community appreciate

I would say "appreciates", but this might be a difference between US/UK English.

your ongoing effort

I would say "efforts".

such as internet netruality

Spelling: neutrality.
Internet needs to be capitalized.
(Also, I for one am opposed to net neutrality legislation.)

monetary system called bitcoins

The system is called Bitcoin, not Bitcoins.

It have extremely low transaction cost, is hard to produce, and is hard to fake and as well many other property that make bitcoin a good money.

In addition to many other useful properties, Bitcoin has extremely low transaction fees and is hard to produce and fake.

centralized monetary system,
systems

whom are often backed by governments.
which are often...

Members of the bitcoin community recognized government's interest in keeping their monetary monopoly and their resultant actions as possible threat to the growing bitcoin economy.

Members of the Bitcoin community have recognized the interest worldwide governments have in keeping their monetary monopoly. Their resulting actions could be a possible threat to the growing Bitcoin economy.

As, such,
As such,

would like to donate our goods, the cryptocurrency bitcoins to you.
would like to donate some of our goods -- cryptocurrency bitcoins -- to you.

All together combined are X bitcoins, which are worth in total, X USD.
Combined, this is X Bitcoins, which are worth X USD in total.

The EFF is free to convert bitcoins to other currencies at will, or buy goods and services with bitcoins, or simply do nothing with it at all. We, members of the bitcoin community hope that the EFF will put the donation to good use.

The EFF is free to convert the Bitcoins to other currencies, buy goods and services with the Bitcoins, or simply do nothing with them at all. The members of the Bitcoin community hope that the EFF will put the donation to good use.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
mizerydearia

View Profile
August 14, 2010, 12:15:25 AM

Heh theymos.  I was contemplating correcting mistakes within kiba's suggestion message, however, I also wasn't sure whether the content of it was a kind of message that should be representative of from the Bitcoin community.  I suggest somehow collaboratively producing a message either with using a wiki, google wave or some other means.  Otherwise, if a single person who is skilled in writing is willing to produce a letter, it may be acceptable as well.
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2010, 12:04:42 PM

Upgrade complete:

Dear EFF, the Bitcoin community appreciates your ongoing efforts to protect Internet freedom. We also see you as an important partner to ensure that the Bitcoin community goes unmolested or at least won't go down without a fight.

The Bitcoin community is a society of users with over 30 business enterprises based around a new open source P2P cryptocurrency and monetary system called Bitcoins. The software for bitcoin is published under the MIT license. In addition to many other useful properties, Bitcoin has extremely low transaction fees, high divisibility, and is hard to produce and fake. These features make Bitcoin useful as a medium of exchange. As such it is probable that it will become a threat to centralized monetary system, which are often backed by governments. Members of the Bitcoin community have recognized the interest worldwide governments have in keeping their monetary monopoly. Their resulting actions could be a possible threat to the growing Bitcoin economy.

As such, members of the Bitcoin community would like to donate osome of our goods -- cryptocurrency bitcoins -- to you.. Members of the community will donate X bitcoins unconditionally, worth about X USD. We will also donate more if you fulfill various wishes such as putting up a bitcoin donation button, setting up a node and more. Combined, this is X Bitcoins, which are worth X USD in total.

The EFF is free to convert the Bitcoins to other currencies, buy goods and services with the Bitcoins, or simply do nothing with them at all. The members of the Bitcoin community hope that the EFF will put the donation to good use.

mizerydearia

View Profile
August 14, 2010, 01:05:51 PM

My revision:

Dear Electronic Frontier Foundation,

We, the Bitcoin community, appreciate your ongoing efforts to protect Internet freedom. You are an important organization that is designed to support our community.

...[/quote]

I'm too tired to revise anymore... Must sleeeeeeep!
sirius
Bitcoiner

Activity: 429
Merit: 969

View Profile
August 14, 2010, 01:18:37 PM

We also see you as an important partner to ensure that the Bitcoin community goes unmolested or at least won't go down without a fight.

This should perhaps be reworded, it sounds like we're taking it for granted that they'll help us if needed.

Iris — for better social networks
I'm not a forum admin - please contact theymos instead.
NewLibertyStandard

Activity: 252
Merit: 268

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2010, 01:41:41 PM

"Bitcoin" should always be capitalized, as it is a proper noun.
The word bitcoin is not always a proper noun. It's a proper noun when it is the name of the application called Bitcoin. It's a common noun when it's referring to units of bitcoin currency. It can also be an adjective, but the adjective is based on the proper noun. I prefer to write it lower case when I use it as an adjective. I don't much care whether my adjective capitalization is correct or not.

Treazant: A Fullever Rewarding Bitcoin - Backup Your Wallet TODAY to Double Your Money! - Dual Currency Donation Address: 1Dnvwj3hAGSwFPMnkJZvi3KnaqksRPa74p
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5152
Merit: 12580

View Profile
August 15, 2010, 12:38:50 AM

The word bitcoin is not always a proper noun. It's a proper noun when it is the name of the application called Bitcoin. It's a common noun when it's referring to units of bitcoin currency. It can also be an adjective, but the adjective is based on the proper noun. I prefer to write it lower case when I use it as an adjective. I don't much care whether my adjective capitalization is correct or not.

I am inclined to expand on the adjective usage and use "x Bitcoins." However, the FAQ uses, "1,300,000 bitcoins." If the FAQ is an official source of information, then I would always copy its usage. The FAQ also uses, "new Bitcoins," though, which seems a bit contradictory. Satoshi has used both ways on the forum.

There is precedence for your usage: the Costa Rican colón is based on someone's name, but is written in lowercase. Costa Rica is a Spanish-speaking country, though, so maybe this one example was only inherited from their non-English usage. Do you know of an actual grammar rule for this case? I looked through the Chicago Manual of Style, but I could not find any rules for a case like this.

Hopefully Satoshi or sirius-m will say which usage is correct. Until then, I think I'll use "[0-9]+ bitcoins" as the only lowercase usage of the word.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: