Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 04:22:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The fall of Bitcoin nodes. Why nobody talks about it ?  (Read 6822 times)
Eisenhower34
Legendary

Activity: 906
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 05:18:22 AM

Why Nodes numbers dropping so fast recently ?

Always 7000 nodes here ... no problem : https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/

Since your post down to 6500.. 
The number of full nodes will go up and down throughout the day (and week, and month) so a change like that in a short period would not worry me.

The fact that many nodes are located in people's homes means that many does will be turned off at various times for a number of reasons (going to sleep, going to work, going on vacation, power going out, internet interruption, needing to use computer for some kind of data/CPU intensive process) only to be turned back on once the reason it was turned off is resolved.

The distributed nature of the network means that when one node goes down/off, the other nodes will take their place

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
October 29, 2014, 08:47:48 AM

I just use Linode and DigitalOcean. What are the way cheaper and better VPS that you talk about ?
I remember one really cheap VPS, I ordered one to try, 2 months after the company has gone bankrupt and I lost my money.
What I was saying is that for $40 you can get a much better cheap dedicated than what vps providers offer. I just checked and Linode is now cheaper than it used to be, it seems competition from Digitalocean made them rethink their plans and pricing. So forget what I said about linode being "way overpriced"

No problem.
It's true that Linode used to be overpriced but since about 1 year they matched DigitalOcean performance.
Amazon AWS is still a little bit more powerful for the price but I can't stand their interface.
doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2014, 10:46:40 AM

I am working on a project to raise the node count.
Cryptowatch.com

Activity: 196
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2014, 11:40:47 PM

Price is one thing. Availability and service is another thing.

For example, if your node goes down on a friday evening, will there be staff to get it back up before monday morning? Perhaps you even run other stuff on that VPS/dedi, like a homepage or other services.

Geographical location is another issue. In the US, prices are low, because of very high competition between datacenters and hosting companies. In addition, it must be assumed that the NSA eavesdrop on all communications on US soil, if you bought a VPS with your cc, the NSA knows your home ip (they derive it from the connections you make to that VPS), they know the ip of your node, and they also most likely know all the other purchases you've done with that cc. Ie. you're operating in bright daylight in sight of everyone.

If for whatever reason, there was a crackdown in the US on bitcoin, it would not be unlikely that all dedi and VPS'es running a bitcoin node in the US would be shut down. In addition your cc might be blocked, and you might get a visit of a 3-letter agency. I'm not saying this is going to happen, I'm just saying it might happen.

In such a situation, it's important that there's plenty of nodes outside the US. For that very reason, it's good for node-operators to operate nodes outside the US. To aid in more decentralization and robustness for the network.

As for Linode, please do not forget the bitcoin businesses that were the victims of their poor security practices. infamous Linode hack

Security is our number one priority and has been for over eight years. We depend on and value the trust our customers have placed in us.

Yet, one of their web-based systems was compromised, with the result of a large stash of bitcoins vanishing.

Relevant read: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=73640

One could however argue that it was stupid to keep bitcoins on those servers in the first place, and I agree - but the treatment from Linode's side was less than stellar imo.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: