Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:38:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Introducing OnionBitcoin  (Read 1903 times)
OnionBitcoin (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 04:26:20 PM
Last edit: May 15, 2011, 04:37:29 PM by OnionBitcoin

Hi!

I would like to introduce OnionBitcoin, the first and only (afaik) TOR-based Bitcoin service. You can only communicate with it via a bitcoind-api-compatible JSON-RPC-Api and only using TOR. Therefore you need Tor installed on your PC and a PHP class like "PHP5 class for interfacing with the Tor network" by Josh Sandlin (Google it!) to communicate with the TOR network and OnionBitcoin.
For whom may it be usefull?
* People who don't want to run their own bitcoind
* People who fear their wallet.dat may be stolen
* People running an onion website

As the project is currently in Beta, please contact me directly to get further information and/or an account:

Sincerely
OnionBitcoin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BioMike
Legendary

Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 05:47:45 PM

Fascinating... what does it do?
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2011, 06:27:32 PM

I would be interested in a tor/i2p proxy service. that is you forward traffic from tor or i2p addresses (onion addresses and eepsites) via ssh or something similar to another machine, so that I can operate my service from within tor or i2p without having to run the systems.

This is something i would pay for, just saying since you seem clued in on interfacing wth the tor network.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 07:24:10 PM

I would be interested in a tor/i2p proxy service. that is you forward traffic from tor or i2p addresses (onion addresses and eepsites) via ssh or something similar to another machine, so that I can operate my service from within tor or i2p without having to run the systems.

This is something i would pay for, just saying since you seem clued in on interfacing wth the tor network.

If you don't run the hidden service/eepsite on the same server as the "real" site, it becomes trivial to locate the hidden service. For a service whose location is already known, since it's on the public Internet, this isn't really that big of a problem, but it could be an issue for such a proxy operator, who might not want his server's location known.

That said, it's pretty easy to set up a hidden service or eepsite. I can walk you through this for a few BTC. Smiley

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Nefario

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2011, 02:10:37 AM

If you don't run the hidden service/eepsite on the same server as the "real" site, it becomes trivial to locate the hidden service. For a service whose location is already known, since it's on the public Internet, this isn't really that big of a problem, but it could be an issue for such a proxy operator, who might not want his server's location known.

That said, it's pretty easy to set up a hidden service or eepsite. I can walk you through this for a few BTC. Smiley

How can they be located?

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 02:20:08 AM

How can they be located?

It's similar to triangulation.  The hunter sets up an number of intermediary nodes that they can modify to track packets, then repeatedly make circuts to the target.  Since they know the starting content of packets, they can identify their own packets as they cross their nodes, even encrypted, by timing and packet size.  Then they note which node the packets are going too next.  The idea is to identify the path from different directions, narrowing down the geographical location of the target by progressively locating the nodes in the circuts.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Nefario

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2011, 02:25:44 AM

Doesnt this attack require total control of the network? and how does running an eepsite from behind an i2p gateway (bearing in mind the connection to the server and the gateway is over vpn or ssh) make this attack any more likely or succesful than just running i2p on your local machine?

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 03:39:13 AM

Doesnt this attack require total control of the network?

No, it only requires that you recreate the circuts repeatedly to identify as many of the nodes on the network as is necessary to narrow down the possible locations of the target.  Most hidden services use a few highly trusted nodes in order to defend against this attack, as victory is defined as establishing a circut with an owned node in direct contact with the target.  Still it can be done by first identifying those trusted nodes, and then literally breaking into those nodes to directly locate the target.  It's not an easy attack, but the CIA certainly has the resources to do it.  I doubt that the FBI would do it, for no other reason that such an attack wouldn't likely lead to untainted evidence for a trial.  But the CIA's goals don't usually involve a prosecution.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 10:17:33 PM

The other issue is that if you have a Tor exit node or eepsite on a different machine than the server they're meant to serve, then the connection and data are vulnerable due to the obvious connections between them. After all, one must connect to the other, and that will end up going across the Internet unprotected.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: