Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:58:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Become a verified/approved seller. (Please share your thoughts)  (Read 2782 times)
lolwut (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 02:56:34 AM
Last edit: June 06, 2012, 01:38:33 PM by lolwut

I am offering these services because I think it will greatly benefit the community. If you have ever been ripped off during an internet-based transaction, I am sure you can appreciate knowing that I am working hard to weed out scammers for you. If you are a scammer and you would like to challenge my verification process, I invite you to do so. I have an extensive background in information security and network engineering. This is in no way related to/sanctioned by any forum moderators or administrators. I am offering this verification service on my own accord. Currency exchangers will fall under this umbrella as well.

Are you new to the forum? Would you like to sell your product worry free?
If you would like to become a (lolwut) verified seller, I will be more than happy to run you through the paces.

-You must be able to prove you are the rightful owner of the item you are selling. Guidelines will be set based on type of item and method of distribution.

-If you are not in possession of the item, you must provide a valid explanation and/or documentation for ordering on the customers behalf
(I understand some people dropship from wholesalers. If you are a dropshipper and can prove you have a valid membership to a given wholesaler, that will do just fine). This will hopefully prevent sellers from issuing fraudulent replacement items and using stolen credit cards.

-If you are selling a virtual item (gift codes, downloadable games/accounts, subscription-based service accounts, etc) you must disclose some of the account details and then verify them with me (email or phone verification for example). I am willing to validate all digital goods, including but not limited to directly accessing them myself.

-If you are offering a service (graphic design, programming, etc), I will verify your portfolio and vouch for your level of skill based on my knowledge and understanding of your business area. This is to establish two things. 1) You are the one doing the work. 2) You are not reselling the work of someone else without their consent.

-If you are a currency exchanger, you will be required to provide substantial proof that you can meet the financial needs of any/all transaction sizes up to your maximum capacity. This may include showing past trade history and/or exchange account balances.

-Sellers may provide their #bitcoin-otc username and I will verify that with them. This will certainly make the rest of the verification process a lot easier.

PRIVACY NOTICE: All seller submitted information will be destroyed after verification process is completed. Any logins or digital items will be verified using a private browser session that will purge all data on exit. I can understand that many of you may not want to reveal any personal information about yourself or your business and I  will respect your right for privacy. Please keep in mind that if I do not verify your product or service that it may lead to difficulties in completing a sale in the future. I think that most, if not all of the forum members, will be more comfortable in knowing someone is looking out for their own well being.

BUYERS: Don't let yourself get rushed in to a sale that you are not comfortable with. This has happened to all of us at some point. We get so overly excited about the item we are getting or the great price that we overlook the safety and security of the transaction.

NOTES:
If I have used your services or purchased from you already, I will absolutely vouch for you. I cannot guarantee that a verified seller won't wake up one day and decide to rip you off, but I will make it very difficult for them to do so without any repercussions. If you are selling/buying items acquired by fraudulent technique or payment method, I will investigate it to the best of my ability and reveal any/all information related to the transaction(s).

PLEASE SHARE YOUR COMMENTS AND CRITICISM.
I am open to all suggestions and will adapt/modify these guidelines based on the needs of the forum users. If there are any typos, please feel free to correct me.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
lolwut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 02:58:05 AM

*reserved for future use*
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2012, 03:00:29 AM

Thanks for providing this service. It will really help to weed out the scammers.

lolwut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 03:04:21 AM

Thanks for providing this service. It will really help to weed out the scammers.

It's my pleasure. I've got a fair amount of free time and figured I would put it to good use Smiley
epbaha

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 03:22:06 AM

What's the fee?

lolwut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 03:29:31 AM

What's the fee?

There is no fee. I am doing this to protect fellow forum members. You can always tip if you want.
ataranlen

Activity: 846

The One and Only

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2012, 03:33:11 AM

If you can provide me with all of the details that you turn up, ill be your test dummy for this service.

MineTexas.com Minecraft Server We accept Bitcoin and Dogecoin.
Deepbit on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deepbit/151108048294815
lolwut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 03:40:42 AM

If you can provide me with all of the details that you turn up, ill be your test dummy for this service.

Can you explain what you mean?
ccliu

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 03:41:10 AM

I think this idea is awesome, and could possibly be integrated into the forum (when we get the new one) or even have an official verification as well.
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2012, 03:41:49 AM

He probably means you audit him but he wants to see what you manage to find.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
lolwut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 03:44:03 AM

He probably means you audit him but he wants to see what you manage to find.

Yeah, I don't see that being an issue.
lolwut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 03:47:53 AM

I think this idea is awesome, and could possibly be integrated into the forum (when we get the new one) or even have an official verification as well.

I hope to see this in the future as well. It would be a good feature to have on a forum with such a large marketplace. Whatever I can do to help in that process, I will.
TheStig

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 03:58:19 AM

We could Split Good or simliar thread with Verified and Unverified parts

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 05:31:41 AM

One of the reasons the #bitcoin-otc Web of Trust (WoT) is relied on by so many traders is that thanks to GPG you can be sure that your counterparty truly is the party with the trust history, and not an imposter.

BitcoinTalk forum does not use any security greater than username and password, and we know how many people don't use strong passwords.

So there is the risk of you verifying a seller, and then a scammer uses the credentials of that seller's account to scam.

Would you consider including in your verification an optional step that lets the seller provide a #bitcoin-otc WoT username (and verify that with you)?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2012, 07:37:28 AM

It's my pleasure. I've got a fair amount of free time and figured I would put it to good use Smiley

A service you could provide is a "buyer's agent" in which a buyer sends you the purchase price of an item and you investigate the seller to see if they have any red flags. They might tip well if you find something that saves them getting scammed  Smiley

01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 11:40:52 AM

I support your initiative.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2012, 01:10:34 PM

Interesting idea lolwut, but here goes one of my questions, who can vouch for you ?
Preferably in person and with and id check.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
lolwut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 01:34:38 PM

One of the reasons the #bitcoin-otc Web of Trust (WoT) is relied on by so many traders is that thanks to GPG you can be sure that your counterparty truly is the party with the trust history, and not an imposter.

BitcoinTalk forum does not use any security greater than username and password, and we know how many people don't use strong passwords.

So there is the risk of you verifying a seller, and then a scammer uses the credentials of that seller's account to scam.

Would you consider including in your verification an optional step that lets the seller provide a #bitcoin-otc WoT username (and verify that with you)?

Yes, absolutely. I'll add that in.
lolwut (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 01:40:17 PM

Interesting idea lolwut, but here goes one of my questions, who can vouch for you ?
Preferably in person and with and id check.

That is a good question. While I have have more than a handful of successful transactions on the forum, I have not met anyone in person. I will be traveling up the east coast in a couple of weeks, so I could always meet up with someone if they have the time. I'll even pick up the check.
dreamwatcher
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 02:09:40 AM

Sounds like a good idea.

I looked into the bitcoin-otc and WOT and to be honest I cannot see a person with an average technical level using it. It seemed, to me,  like download these software packages (I am not sure all of them are even complied), generate a key, generate a certificate, stand on your head, jump and down and hope the wind is blowing the right way. The software provided is not really well documented for the average user and the interfaces not very intuitive.

I had thought about maybe a thread for micro transactions so new members could build trust and vice-verse, with only small amounts at risk.

What about people who want to be verified, but do not necessarily have an active trade going on? To be pre-verified would be extremely useful instead of waiting for verification once a deal is stuck.

I have an active business Paypal and Ebay account (since around 2006), legal business (DBA, Sole-proprietorship registered and permitted)I can prove who I am and that I am a business owner, but does that really build trust? To a degree, but I think some method for members to specifically advertise, trade and rate  small low risk transactions would enhance verification even more.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: