Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:12:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your thoughts on the Bitcoin Debit Card?  (Read 3235 times)
Monica80

Activity: 210
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 08:34:26 PM

Can someone explain the added value of Xapo over typical fiat currency denoted debit cards?

The number of currency conversions is the same or even higher. Is there a difference in conversions fees between let´s say BTC--> EUR or USD --> EUR ?
The only advantage I see is for people without a bank account.

Thanks

Well, I just got schooled by caribbeanbitcoiner here haha

So it doesn't have an added value I believe compared to using fiat cards. What it does, it opens up the possibility of using your bitcoin anywhere.

If they take debit cards, now they take bitcoin thanks to Xapo.

My initial concern was over making bitcoin more acceptable. The above does not open bitcoin to the merchant as the merchant will not even know bitcoin was used as payment.

Basically the merchant charges Xapo, Xapo charges you and takes form your Bitcoin stash. Simple as that.

Check their website regarding conversion and fees.

Gentlemen Bitcoin: 1GuwSfwVryEhB15vWMx4j52yMPg6EwSAat
Sexy Sexcoins: S66C4UMnpdwEWDgGPLFa94QRTsnvnwGk1b

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
caribbeanbitcoiner (OP)

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 03:30:44 AM
Last edit: November 23, 2014, 04:27:39 AM by caribbeanbitcoiner

The point is you get to spend your at a place where they won't normally take btc. Most businesses aren't going to accept Bitcoins based on the fact that it's new, unregulated and the creator is unknown.

Well, I think you just won the post Tongue

I guess I was going for having the merchant be part of the bitcoin cycle but you are right.

Haha, I didn't win. We just got into a healthy little debate.  Grin

Roll Eyes

Do you use Xapo?

No but I like the idea of it. It's a great way for people with a sizable amount of btc to spend their savings
Biitcoin

Activity: 353
Merit: 250

Zichain

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2014, 06:37:13 AM

What ? a Physical real Bitcoin Debit card ? Shocked Can you link me to that please , how to get one
https://xapo.com/

Looks very professional! Will do some research into it.

Please do so and let us know... anybody can create a professional looking website now Tongue

That's totally true , beside I really cant find any button or anything to order that Debit card Shocked (Yes I made an account)

caribbeanbitcoiner (OP)

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 08:23:13 PM

What ? a Physical real Bitcoin Debit card ? Shocked Can you link me to that please , how to get one
https://xapo.com/

Looks very professional! Will do some research into it.

Please do so and let us know... anybody can create a professional looking website now Tongue

That's totally true , beside I really cant find any button or anything to order that Debit card Shocked (Yes I made an account)

They ran into some problems issuing Debit Cards to US account. I read it somewhere online, they haven't found a sponsoring banking in the US to assist with issuing cards to US customers. So they had to pull cards from US customers.

Try ANXBTC (they also offer a Bitcoin Debit Card)
bernard75
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 04:12:06 PM

XAPO and ANX are both mBank.
Do i need to say more?
caribbeanbitcoiner (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 08:30:32 PM

Do i need to say more?

What is mBank?
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 06:44:30 AM

Do i need to say more?

What is mBank?

http://www.mbank.pl/en/

caribbeanbitcoiner (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 03:16:20 AM

Huh Im lost Huh
Kimba_Coinarch

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 06:10:30 AM

I think it's a great idea and will help with mainstream adoption. It makes bitcoin more available and easier to use which will support the demand and ultimately increase the price I think.

I work for a bitcoin trading platform called Coinarch and we do a daily bitcoin update for anyone interested.

Daily Bitcoin Update

Bitcoin Black Friday, a global push to encourage bitcoiners to spend on special deals offered by bitcoin accepting retailers, came and went over the weekend. Its kick off late Friday UTC time may explain a run up in the bitcoin price around this time from a low in the mid-350s to a high in the mid 380s and on the cusp of overbought territory.

Strong selling pressure around the 384-386 resistance level caused the price to pull back from here and fall back towards the daily moving average (see the 4H Bitfinex chart below). From there, the price briefly shot up to (and back down from) the 390 mark but largely trended sideways in the absence of major buying or selling signals.

All in all, a pretty uneventful weekend session with market indicators pointing to a neutral outlook.

November 30th Bitcoin Trading Session

The BTC/USD opened the November 30 trading session at 379 and continued to move sideways on low trading volume. The price at present sits above the 200-, 100-, and 50-hours SMAs, while the RSI sits at around 52. Overall, this indicates neutral-bullish sentiment in the market, meaning the price could potentially move up in next 24 hours in the absence of any bearish surprises or sudden strong selling.

What to Expect Today?
While the neutral sentiment implies the potential for the bitcoin price to move in either direction, the charts suggest the market bulls are outnumbering the market bears at present. We therefore see the potential for bullish sentiment to prevail in the first trading session of December and expect the bitcoin price to test the key resistance level of 385-390. If the price can break through here, we see the potential for the price to quickly test 400.

On the flip side, if any short term selling pressure causes us to break through the near-term SMAs then we see support at around the 350-360 area. A break below 350 could open up the possibility of a long-term bearish outlookand bring last month’s low of 320 firmly into play.

Conclusion
Current Mood: Neutral-Bullish
Moving Averages: Buy (7 Buy 5 Sell)
Technical Indicators: Sell (1 Buy 5 Sell 5 Neutral)
chipmadness

Activity: 252

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 07:40:29 AM

I think a plastic card that holds BTC is essential if Bitcoin became the main currency of the world. Here are the reasons:

1) Most people do not have smart phones.
2) Some people just hate technology and do not want to bother using their phone (country boys/farmers). They rather take the plastic out of their wallet and use that payment system.
3) Old people would not be able to adapt to the QR code way. My 70 year old grandmother would never figure out how to setup a bitcoin wallet on her phone.

Some kind of handheld thing is needed for Bitcoin. Hardware wallet could be a option, but I personally think a simple plastic card would be the best solution.

CryptoThrone - http://cryptothrone.com - The Highest Rank in Crypto News! Visit us for the latest Bitcoin news, conference news, the newest and best alt-coins getting released, mining hardware news, mining theories, and everything else related to crypto-currency! Looking for a web developer? Let me design you a responsive, elegant, and modern site today!
caribbeanbitcoiner (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 07:49:17 AM

I think a plastic card that holds BTC is essential if Bitcoin became the main currency of the world. Here are the reasons:

2) Some people just hate technology and do not want to bother using their phone (country boys/farmers). They rather take the plastic out of their wallet and use that payment system.
3) Old people would not be able to adapt to the QR code way. My 70 year old grandmother would never figure out how to setup a bitcoin wallet on her phone.

Some kind of handheld thing is needed for Bitcoin. Hardware wallet could be a option, but I personally think a simple plastic card would be the best solution.

The truth is most people who use phones to text and check social media won't have enough battery power left to use it for bitcoin purchases.
Furio
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

BTC | LTC | XLM | VEN | ARDR

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 08:22:48 AM

Maybe it's me, but BTC-e.com had the option to withdraw dollars to a debit visa or mastercard. But the option seems to be removed.

beaknuke

Activity: 412

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 08:33:07 AM

https://paycoin.com/

well no mention yet of what GAWs doing, i have to admit that they are bold to try something on such a scale, they had a lot of investment in this and if they get it right, then I am in.

You deal with a bank manager for a loan or similar, its very much "computer says no" and thats based on your credit history in the uk, they dont actually listen to your story and decide based on facts.  To transfer your money to online methods, then to request loans/mining/profitable ideas and to spend your rewards easier with a chip and pin card, fantastic.

chipmadness

Activity: 252

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 09:03:31 AM

The truth is most people who use phones to text and check social media won't have enough battery power left to use it for bitcoin purchases.

Oh my gosh! You are so right my friend! Social Media makes me sick.... Shocked
People just love throwing their personal information away! Goodbye Family Vacation Photos Taken in Mexico! You now belong to the internet forever!

CryptoThrone - http://cryptothrone.com - The Highest Rank in Crypto News! Visit us for the latest Bitcoin news, conference news, the newest and best alt-coins getting released, mining hardware news, mining theories, and everything else related to crypto-currency! Looking for a web developer? Let me design you a responsive, elegant, and modern site today!
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: