Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:20:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Nordic: 300M can now buy bitcoin in the Middle East and North Africa  (Read 32206 times)
fimp (OP)

Activity: 304
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 06:34:39 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2012, 01:13:40 AM by fimp

COPENHAGEN, July 14, 2012
Until now, more than 300 million people living in the Middle Eastern and North African countries have had no direct way to acquire bitcoins.

This ends today as Bitcoin Nordic introduces cashU as a payment option. cashU prepaid cards can be bought at locations all over the Middle East and North Africa.

"We are very excited about introducing cashU as a payment option on Bitcoin Nordic. This will expose Bitcoin to a whole new region," says Lasse Birk Olesen, Head of Operations at Bitcoin Nordic.

cashU prepaid cards are available in every country in the Middle East and North Africa with especially large presences in Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Kuwait, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and United Arab Emirates (UAE).

And cashU prepaid cards are just one way to top up a cashU account, as cashU cooperates with Ukash and several other payment systems to make it truly globally available.

The price for purchasing bitcoins with cashU is the MtGox 24h average + 15% at the moment, but Bitcoin Nordic is looking to lower this as soon as volume increases.

Get bitcoins for cashU today at www.bitcoinnordic.com

Bitcoin Nordic is a registered company in Valby, Copenhagen, Denmark. The service was launched April 2, 2012 with its main feature being the instant delivery of bitcoins for payment by credit card. Two months later, this was suspended by the VISA and MasterCard organizations, but Bitcoin Nordic has continued to serve Europe with bitcoins for bank transfers and anonymous cash in the mail. With cashU, Bitcoin Nordic continues on its mission to deliver bitcoins to everyone fast and easy.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 06:39:01 PM

Wow...this could be huge. Best of luck!

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 06:48:57 PM

btc value is going to skyrocket now!

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 06:59:10 PM

btc value is going to skyrocket now!

Heh, will it really?

This is a layer on top of the traditional banking system not on top of Bitcoin and I also don't really understand how the option to top up your cashU account with either buying a prepaid card via fiat or using bitcoins introduces Bitcoin to all those people.

I'm all for any type of development when it's conntected to Bitcoin and I wish them good luck but I'm not particularly a fan of this specific endeavour.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
fimp (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 07:01:31 PM
Last edit: July 14, 2012, 08:49:43 PM by fimp

Heh, will it really?

This is a layer on top of the traditional banking system not on top of Bitcoin and I also don't really understand how the option to top up your cashU account with either buying a prepaid card via fiat or using bitcoins introduces Bitcoin to all those people.

I'm all for any type of development when it's conntected to Bitcoin and I wish them good luck but I'm not particularly a fan of this specific endeavour.
We're not offering to top up cashU cards by sending us bitcoins. It's the other way around: We're selling bitcoins for cashU payments.

Before, people in the Middle East and North Africa did not have any obvious way to acquire bitcoins. Now they do.

hazek
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 07:04:26 PM

EDIT: NVM I get it now.

For some reason your OP was super confusing to me, I had to read it like 10 times.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 09:08:22 PM

The price for purchasing bitcoins with cashU is the MtGox 24h average + 15% at the moment, but Bitcoin Nordic is looking to lower this as soon as volume increases.

The website also show sales tax:
 "15% at the time of processing including 1.82% sales tax, which is currently 8.746877 USD. "

That reads that the 15% already includes sale tax.  Is that correct?

Plus ... sales tax?  Is that because these are being treated as a digital good or something?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 09:09:29 PM

Heh, will it really?

We're not offering to top up cashU cards by sending us bitcoins. It's the other way around: We're selling bitcoins for cashU payments.

Before, people in the Middle East and North Africa did not have any obvious way to acquire bitcoins. Now they do.

Very nice, although I think it's the other way around that makes for incredible potential. If you can figure out a way to get Middle East and North Africans in Europe to use Bitcoins to transfer their earnings back home to their families: Then it would be a KILLER. :-)

more or less retired.
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 09:11:43 PM

Heh, will it really?

Very nice, although I think it's the other way around that makes for incredible potential. If you can figure out a way to get Middle East and North Africans in Europe to use Bitcoins to transfer their earnings back home to their families: Then it would be a KILLER. :-)

agreed
kentrolla

Activity: 1554
Merit: 565

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 09:18:38 PM

The 15% fee is way to high to get people involved. I'd suggest starting with a lower fee, then once you have people hooked then you can raise the fee.  start with like 5% imo. Nobody will want to make an investment with a 15% fee.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
fimp (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 09:26:48 PM

The website also show sales tax:
 "15% at the time of processing including 1.82% sales tax, which is currently 8.746877 USD. "

That reads that the 15% already includes sale tax.  Is that correct?

Plus ... sales tax?  Is that because these are being treated as a digital good or something?
Yes, that's correct, it's included in the 15%.

We treat bitcoins as goods and must therefore apply a sales tax for customers within the EU. But I have removed it from the cashU page now as most purchases made with cashU will probably not be by Europeans.

minorman
Legendary

Activity: 945
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 09:40:55 PM

Held og lykke med det Lasse. Det kan kun goere gode ting - for baade Bitcoin Nordic og for Bitcoin.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
Realpra

Activity: 815

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 09:49:07 PM

Great stuff.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 10:40:58 PM

Great! Anyone got English literacy rates for the region, or for specific cashU countries?

You would probably benefit from hiring someone to do professional Arabic and French translations.
mcorlett
Donator

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 10:49:05 PM

Great! Anyone got English literacy rates for the region, or for specific cashU countries?
Table 4a - Literacy (I can't open the file right now, but this should contain what you're looking for. It's been a great resource for me in the past.)
  • Adult (15+) literacy rate, by sex
  • Youth (15-24) literacy rate, by sex

United Nations Statistics Division - Demographic and Social Statistics

fimp (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 10:51:06 PM

Table 4a - Literacy (I can't open the file right now, but this should contain what you're looking for. It's been a great resource for me in the past.)

I think that's the general literacy, not English literacy.

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2012, 11:46:03 PM

This is pretty freken awesome guys, NICE JOB!!!

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 01:53:47 AM

do all those africans know they can buy bitcoins now?
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 02:22:11 AM

I think that's the general literacy, not English literacy.

You may want to have a look at this: Wikipedia - List of countries by English-speaking population.

It seems very few people have English as a primary OR secondary language in the majority of countries on this list. I don't think it's too bold to assume that most English speakers would not, could not or should not buy things from - let's say - a Mandarin language website, no matter the product and price.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2012, 02:54:19 AM

a) cashU again is not an option in Iran
b) Bitcoin info is barely available in Arab or Farsi
c) many Bitcoin sites are censored by the sites' owners for Iranian people

Many people here have a very USA/Europe-centric perspective of the world.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: