Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:50:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The future of BTC... is there one?  (Read 2463 times)
NotHatinJustTrollin

Activity: 462
Merit: 107

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2015, 10:44:00 PM

imagine an entity would set a buy wall of 4,2 billion dollar on an exchange - the price could never be lower than 200$ again...

Imagine if that 4.2 billion dollars is removed from an exchange, and is offered instead for a metric ton of my poop?  My bowel movements would make me exceptionally wealthy.  

Sadly, my scenario hinges on the same improbable event as yours: Someone being batshit crazy enough to part with 4.2 billion dollars for our respective treasures.
Actually I think the shit scenario is less improbable.

Shit has been considered art in the past, and people are willing to pay a lot for art, so who knows?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artist%27s_Shit

Nothing artistic about this bitcoin chit tho Undecided

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nottm28

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 10:55:20 PM

People seem to forget what money and BTC is.
Money is just a form of communication, a subset of language.
Bitcoin is the evolution of this made possible by the internet. It is not really in our control anymore.

We narcissistically think of humans as separate from nature but this is a subjective, short sighted delusion.
Nothing is separate from nature. The fact that we can not see how we are just part of the pattern means the processes and evolution that determine our fate as a species, planet, solar system is something we don't have a complete picture of. We don't know what we don't know.(Hell... until recently we did not even have a good theory on how we developed, now thankfully we have evolution.)
I alternate between being dumbfounded by how stupid humans are to being astounded by how clever we are. Take this Satoshi guy for example. Genius. Brilliant.
Yet just like any other discovery that has changed humanity this did not happen in a vacuum. He/She/It/They were also just a product of genetics, proteins being programmed, environmental influence and the accumulation of changes that built humanity, social structure, language, electronics, internet and now algorithms living independently on the internet. Bitcoin could not have been born any earlier time and yet the birth was inevitable.

BTC is an idea that has taken on a life of its own.
Even if the creator/s wanted to stop it now, it would very likely be impossible.
If it survives or dies does not depend on any human or group of humans but purely on nature and the rules that govern any other living thing.

An idea that simmers to the top of the collective consciousness and manifests in the way that Bitcoin did, can not simply disappear,  it changes everything.

I am sure that this is the start of the greatest revolution I will see in my lifetime.
In essence it is nothing less than the whole organism that we know as human civilisation evolving into something new.
This happened before, maybe 10k years ago with drawings in a cave, language became more complex, then more recently with writing, printing.
Then telephones, internet.
Now it is happening over the matter of days, weeks and months. We can watch it in realtime. It is like watching an astronomical event that you expect should take a thousand years, except it is sped up like some BBC documentary and splashed on a 3d 60 inch curved OLED home TV for your viewing pleasure.

Nature does not care for people in love with the status quo. There is constant change, seeking the shortest path with least friction, least fragility.
If you have ever seen a lightning strike slowed down to ultimate slow motion and tendrils seeking and then finding the best pathway to consolidate in a blinding flash of light, you will understand how I see bitcoin and why the question about its survival seems ridiculous to me.

TLDR: read post above me

*sigh*

[edit] I was mildy interested in this thread until this post

donations not accepted
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 11:03:42 PM

Actually I think the shit scenario is less improbable.

Shit has been considered art in the past, and people are willing to pay a lot for art, so who knows?

Yeah, but my shit's value is derived not from its artistic merit, but simple scarcity--there is only so much shit I could produce in my lifetime.*
It's much like gold and Bitcoin, my poop is.  The supply is limited, demand unlimited Huh profit!

* I would have to strike a fine balance between eating as much as I can (thus maximizing daily poop output) & eating in moderation (thus extending the duration during which I could work on pooping).
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: