Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:49:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ISIS Fundraising(Bitcoin) in US  (Read 2329 times)
jacktheking (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Personal Text Space Not For Sale

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 08:54:35 AM
Last edit: January 30, 2015, 09:15:18 AM by jacktheking

Hmm.. seem like more and more people are using Bitcoin in a bad way..

ISIS is using bitcoin for recruitment and fundraising reported a an Israeli cyber intelligence analyst.. Read more here - http://rt.com/usa/227703-bitcoin-isis-us-fundraising/.

Haaretz newspaper quoted an Israeli analyst who said he traced an ISIS funding website and “has uncovered concrete evidence that a terror cell, purporting to be related to the Islamic State – is soliciting for bitcoins as part of its fundraising efforts.”

So sad! This profile does not appear as the #1 result (on anonymous) Google searches anymore.

Time to be active on the crypto forums again? Proud to be one of the few Legendary members of the Sparkie Red Dot!

Gonna put this on my resume if I ever join a cryptocurrency/blockchain industry!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 09:03:02 AM

I highly doubt that there are any significant amounts in BTC that they use.

And even if. When bad people use a tool that only proves one thing: That tool is useful and it works.

Everything that's useful and works will be used by bad people, using this to argue against that tool is either just ignorant stupidity or willful misinformation in the hopes that  ignorant and stupid people will pick it up.

I imagine ISIS uses the internet as well for it's funding and propaganda efforts and quite more successful than Bitcoin, probably even Facebook.

Should we shut down Facebook, because Terrorist use it?

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 09:07:33 AM

More and more people are using Bitcoin, period.

Unfortunately, this also includes some bad people, yes. As with any development or novelty that offers massive improvement and advantages over the existing alternative.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1559

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2015, 09:14:22 AM

ISIS is using bitcoin for recruitment and fundraising reported a an Israeli cyber intelligence analyst.. Read more here - http://rt.com/usa/227703-bitcoin-isis-us-fundraising/.

Haaretz newspaper quoted an Israeli analyst who said he traced an ISIS funding website and “has uncovered concrete evidence that a terror cell, purporting to be related to the Islamic State – is soliciting for bitcoins as part of its fundraising efforts.”

This is another case of catchy title for an article, but if you read the bottom part:

But most importantly, says Gurule, is that the Islamic State, unlike Al-Qaeda, is a self-funding organization and its principal source of funding comes from the sale of oil on the black market. ISIS also receives some money from ransom payments and extortion payments within the territory it controls.

“[ISIS] doesn’t rely on external sources of funding from sympathetic donors,” he said.

So, so far we have some related cell asking for bitcoin donations, but no evidence of them receiving a single satoshi. Although this will probably happen sooner or later, such donations will be absolutely irrelevant to total IS funding.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
jacktheking (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 09:17:39 AM

Alright, if my first sentence provoke Bitcoin fan.. I apologize. I marked it with strike tag now.

I mean to say Bitcoin is begin used by many people including terrorists. I dont mean to invite trouble.

So sad! This profile does not appear as the #1 result (on anonymous) Google searches anymore.

Time to be active on the crypto forums again? Proud to be one of the few Legendary members of the Sparkie Red Dot!

Gonna put this on my resume if I ever join a cryptocurrency/blockchain industry!
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 09:28:14 AM

Alright, if my first sentence provoke Bitcoin fan.. I apologize. I marked it with strike tag now.

I mean to say Bitcoin is begin used by many people including terrorists. I dont mean to invite trouble.
Terrorists are using WAY more dollars than bitcoins. What's the point?

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2015, 09:33:19 AM

It makes no difference whether it's ISIS or a charity that uses Bitcoin, it's here to stay whether people like it or not.
jacktheking (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 09:35:49 AM

Not sure.. Well.. maybe they wanted to use something which do not require physical contact or personal information.

pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1559

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2015, 10:04:58 AM

Not sure.. Well.. maybe they wanted to use something which do not require physical contact or personal information.

They pretty much control huge part of land, you can say they've got their own country. I don't think they'd be concerned about physical contact or personal info. And as per article, they would use bitcoin to raise USD (or other fiat).

I hope most people will see right through those bullshit news. Couple of comments from the RT site:

come on, even a kid knows US and saudi was funding ISIS for a long time, just until ISIS got hold of that oil fields. I don't think they have time to sit around the computers and look for bitcoins to come in Just so they can buy that new nissan car and AK 47. A surprising news would be "ISIS commanding officer decides to come out and ITS OBAMA!!!" now That, IS a news

It's ALL about keeping the petrodollar and getting rid of Bitcoin which is a serious threat to the central banks . I knew that they would pull these lies out of their demonic little think tanks .

So bitcoin is being used to fund terrorists that USA setup to get rid of Assad? Well USA shouldn't have setup ISIS then?!

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
tins

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 10:12:32 AM

And way more oil than any other revenue stream.
edmundduke
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 10:31:46 AM

Plot Twist!

All the new Ponzi schemes popping up on Gambling section are actually ISIS plan to get bitcoins.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 10:35:10 AM

ISIS also uses thousands, if not millions of dollars and other currencies. Why isn't that being reported?

Do they suddenly found someone that sells weapons in Bitcoin?

It's pretty obvious these kind of people are going to use Bitcoin, as it provides them an easy way to transfer funds, just like drug dealers did, but I seriously don't get the press's point when millions of units of fiat currency are used for crimes every week.
Mellnik

Activity: 242
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 11:17:06 AM

http://files.mellnik.com/tmp/isis.mp3
thompete

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 11:18:21 AM

Before Bitcoin ISIS was using Fiat to do all their dirty work Tongue
Doesn't make it bad. Its just that bitcoin is better for them .

cheekychap

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 11:25:35 AM

WTF. THats like making fun of their whole religion. Not cool.

gjgjg

Activity: 448

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 12:01:23 PM

1st alarm bell: source is 'Haaretz', another sensationalist un-objective media outlet calling themselves 'news' :p

But even if it were from a respected source, as others have said, just because they solicit Bitcoin says nothing about BTC. Just like it says nothing about the $ or € or whatever else that they raise.

Im sure that in the future, whatever 'middle east boogie monster' comes after these ISIS fuckers will be using even more BTC to raise funds than ISIS do today.
But at that stage hopefully BTC will be integrated more successfully in the west - and so it will be a mute point, just like the fact that ISIS and AlQ and the Taliban and the Northern Alliance and Hezbolah, Musharraf, Sisi etc etc etc all raise funds in $ (ie the dollar is integrated properly, so its not really a 'news' story).  

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
finnile

Activity: 196
Merit: 104

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 12:07:22 PM

I think this has been happening since 2011. If it did not stop people then from using bitcoin, it certainly won't stop them now .
Its just a wrong use for a technology, just like you can use chemicals to make bombs.

Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 12:10:28 PM

I highly doubt that there are any significant amounts in BTC that they use.

And even if. When bad people use a tool that only proves one thing: That tool is useful and it works.

Everything that's useful and works will be used by bad people, using this to argue against that tool is either just ignorant stupidity or willful misinformation in the hopes that  ignorant and stupid people will pick it up.

I imagine ISIS uses the internet as well for it's funding and propaganda efforts and quite more successful than Bitcoin, probably even Facebook.

Should we shut down Facebook, because Terrorist use it?

FEDs /US Treasury ...would like that if they moved a lot of money via BTC ....easier to track BTC then a suitcase full of cash ..if you  passed the hat on in the usa fundraiser wise

just saying ...also last years treasury in front of congress pointed this out ...and did not beat up on BTC due to this fact..in that
cash was just as transparent or more so..also pointed out at least they could trace btc in a geographic and big picture kinda way at worst

a non issue imho but man that FUD sure can sell some papers and web ads your news site don't ya know!

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
Balls

Activity: 338

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 12:12:10 PM

ISIS also uses thousands, if not millions of dollars and other currencies. Why isn't that being reported?

Do they suddenly found someone that sells weapons in Bitcoin?

It's pretty obvious these kind of people are going to use Bitcoin, as it provides them an easy way to transfer funds, just like drug dealers did, but I seriously don't get the press's point when millions of units of fiat currency are used for crimes every week.

Because the people spreading the negativity have an agenda, but also because the general public are sheeple. They don't want to listen to how you can buy drugs/guns/politicians/cp/bombs with fiat but seem to think its a big deal because you can buy some of these things with bitcoin too.
needmoney
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1023

I am a good bro

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 12:23:07 PM

And another bad news for bitcoin  Undecided

▄▄█▀▀█▄▄
  ▄▄█████▄▄█████▄▄
████  ███  ███  ████
  ▀▀█████▀▀█████▀▀