Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:10:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin mentioned in The Financial supervisory Authority of Norway's report.  (Read 8319 times)
Herodes (OP)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 05:09:36 PM

Want't sure where to post, but I'm trying the legal section, as this is not a mention in the press per se.

Source: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CGEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.finanstilsynet.no%2FGlobal%2FVenstremeny%2FRapport%2F2012%2FROS-analyse_2011.pdf&ei=rcYSUIy2BsT74QSH8oHQDA&usg=AFQjCNFf9K7smtO1c6Pmj6UON8Ge0vIQbQ&sig2=IlUJOury63p6DMZBmW5lng

The financial supervisory authority of Norwar released a Risk and Vulnerability analysis in March 2012 regarding the usage of information and communication technology in financial institutions.

Under 2.4.3 titled 'Shadow services on the internet' they wrote the following (translated manually from Norwegian to English):

Translated text:
Bitcoin is a digital curreny made in 2009. The name of the currency also refers to the "open source"-program Bitcoin that's used to send money. The maximum limit for how much Bitcoin can ever exist is 21 millions. It's therefore a static currency once all Bitcoins are distriibuted. Bitcoin is based on person to person technology (P2P), and is operating without any form of a sentralized server or middlemen. All payments are automatically verified through nodes in the P2P-network, and the system is built such that it is impossible to make more money or steal others money. This is ensured through the usage of a 'blockchain' which is stored by all the nodes in the network.

Bitcoins kan for instance be compared to "Monopoly money" where each single actor buys virtual moneyvalues called Bitcoin to do commercial transactions in a gated environment of trade. Liquidity in fiat money must always be available if the trade actors wish to exchange from Bitcoins to for instance US dollars or Euros. At the moment, this system is outside governmental control, and the risk is unknown.

The system is virtual and the american government has signalized that they want to remove this system before naive and gullible users become too involved. For such a system to work, it needs a 'rich' sponsor.

Orginal text:

2.4.3.1 Bitcoin
Bitcoin er en digital valuta opprettet i 2009. Navnet på valutaen refererer også til «open source»-
programmet Bitcoin som brukes for å sende penger. Maksgrensen på antall bitcoins som kan være i
omløp, er satt på 21 millioner. Det er altså en statisk valuta etter at alle bitcoins er delt ut. Bitcoin er
basert på person to person-teknologi (P2P), og opererer uten noen form for sentral server eller
mellommenn. Alle betalinger verifiseres automatisk gjennom noder i P2P-nettverket, og systemet er
bygd opp slik at man ikke kan opprette flere penger eller stjele andres. Dette sikres gjennom en
«blockchain» som lagres av alle nodene i nettverket.
Bitcoin kan gjerne sammenlignes med «Monopolpenger» hvor den enkelte aktør kjøper virtuelle
pengeverdier kalt bitcoin for å gjøre kommersielle transaksjoner i et lukket handelsmiljø. Likviditet i
«reelle» penger må alltid ligge til disposisjon dersom aktørene ønsker å veksle fra bitcoins til for
eksempel US dollar eller euro. Foreløpig foregår denne virksomheten utenfor kontroll av
myndighetene, og risikoen er ukjent.
Systemet er virtuelt og amerikanske myndigheter har signalisert at de ønsker å fjerne dette systemet før
godtroende brukere blir for mye involvert. For at et slikt system skal kunne fungere, må det ha en «rik»
sponsor.

My comments:

Coming from a governmental institution, we could not hope for a positive review, there's no reference where the mention about the us govt. wanting to get rid of bitcoin is written. We already know the US govt. is aware of bitcoin, heck the lead dev. visited the CIA a while ago, and the FBI leaked a memo mentioning bitcoin. So I call FUD on that one.

Still interesting they mentioned Bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 07:34:42 PM

At the moment, this system is outside governmental control, and the risk is unknown.
Uuuhh... it's outside governmental control  Shocked

The system is virtual and the american government has signalized that they want to remove this system before naive and gullible users become too involved. For such a system to work, it needs a 'rich' sponsor.
Yeah sure sure  Cheesy

and i don't get the "rich sponsor" thing...  Huh

Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 07:42:32 PM

It seems they draw a bunch of random guys and assign them to write paragraph each. Burime of sorts. The first paragraph is matter of fact'ish objective description of Bitcoin, the following two paragraphs were farmed out clearly to complete idiots. "monopoly money", "rich sponsor" ffs!

-
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 08:06:09 PM

interesting

DublinBrian

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 08:20:50 PM

the american government has signalized that they want to remove this system before naive and gullible users become too involved.
This is another sign that the international diplomatic back-channels have been opened up and the order has gone out from Washington, "ban bitcoin!". All friendly countries are expected to do as they are told by Washington.

Comodore

Activity: 159

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 08:53:51 PM

Lol This is so much funny.

Maybe they should start getting to know what bitcoin is. Bitcoin is not what they think
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 09:05:35 PM

Its monopoly money, didnt you read!?
danieldaniel

Activity: 854

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 09:18:18 PM

It's monopoly money?  That's why they're worth (almost) $9 a piece!  Cheesy

Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 09:33:09 PM

Unless they employ educated IT personnel to analyze the bitcoin technology for their reports its all gonna be dangerous black magic to them. Natural reaction though.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 09:36:03 PM

They honestly seem to believe that the only reason Bitcoins have a greater than miniscule value is that someone keeps buying them up at a loss.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 09:41:09 PM

quote "For such a system to work, it needs a 'rich' sponsor."

one of the common first 5 minute misconceptions is that the money ought to be issues by a single authority. I don't think they get the point that the money is actually issued in a decentralized fashion. How can they - didn't exist before... (except gold digging Smiley )

"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 09:48:08 PM

one of the common first 5 minute misconceptions is that the money ought to be issues by a single authority. I don't think they get the point that the money is actually issued in a decentralized fashion. How can they - didn't exist before... (except gold digging Smiley )
Actually though, a decentralized system has an even greater need for a rich sponsor.

Say I want to create a new centralized currency, JoelBux, and I want them to be 1-to-1 to the dollar. If I issue them all myself, I sell them for $1 each. Then I offer to buy them back for $1 each. The only way someone can have a JoelBuck is if they bought it from me for $1. So when I have to buy them back, I've already got the funds to do it. I need to be rich, but I don't sponsor anything because I don't lose any money.

Now say I want to create a new decentralized currency, JoelCoin, and I want them to be 1-to-1 to the dollar. To keep the price up, I have to offer to buy JoelCoins for a dollar each. But since they're issued in a decentralized fashion, people can acquire JoelCoins without paying me any money and I might need to spend more and more money and accumulate more and more JoelCoins. As soon as I stop, JoelCoins drop in value (because there's no real JoelCoin economy) and I'm stuck with a ton of them.

Of course, if JoelCoins do take off in value and there's a thriving JoelCoin economy, I'm no longer "stuck" with a ton of them, I make a fortune.

wheeler

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 10:57:50 PM

Thanks for posting... interesting.

I assume by "gullible users" they mean "people who have realised how we screw them with centrally-issued fiat".
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 11:11:02 PM

Actually though, a decentralized system has an even greater need for a rich sponsor.

Say I want to create a new centralized currency, JoelBux, and I want them to be 1-to-1 to the dollar. If I issue them all myself, I sell them for $1 each. Then I offer to buy them back for $1 each. The only way someone can have a JoelBuck is if they bought it from me for $1. So when I have to buy them back, I've already got the funds to do it. I need to be rich, but I don't sponsor anything because I don't lose any money.

Now say I want to create a new decentralized currency, JoelCoin, and I want them to be 1-to-1 to the dollar. To keep the price up, I have to offer to buy JoelCoins for a dollar each. But since they're issued in a decentralized fashion, people can acquire JoelCoins without paying me any money and I might need to spend more and more money and accumulate more and more JoelCoins. As soon as I stop, JoelCoins drop in value (because there's no real JoelCoin economy) and I'm stuck with a ton of them.

Of course, if JoelCoins do take off in value and there's a thriving JoelCoin economy, I'm no longer "stuck" with a ton of them, I make a fortune.
True story. Luckily with bitcoin we have a rich sponsor. It's the large user base who constantly negotiate the price Smiley

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 02:55:32 AM

Direct link:
 - www.finanstilsynet.no/Global/Venstremeny/Rapport/2012/ROS-analyse_2011.pdf

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

mollison

Activity: 157

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 03:51:22 AM

True story. Luckily with bitcoin we have a rich sponsor. It's the large user base who constantly negotiate the price Smiley

Indeed. A large number of people who buy modest amounts of BTC to "speculate" is equivalent to one very large rich "sponsor." And lots of people are doing just that.
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2012, 04:04:11 AM

Exactly. It's hard for a lot of people to believe that this is what's really going on because it's inconsistent with their worldview. They won't believe that the world is changing until their noses get rubbed in it.

BitcoinNational
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1010

Join The Blockchain Revolution In Logistics

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 04:34:40 AM

I assume by "gullible users" they mean "people who have realised how we screw them with centrally-issued fiat".

the american government has signalized ... Who signaled and what did they signal?

▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▄████▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▄
         ▄████████████████▄▄▄███████
       ▄█████████████████████████████
     ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████████▄
   ▄████████▀█▀███▀        ███████████
 ▄████████▀███             ███████████
▄███████▀████                ██████████▄
███████████▀                  ██████████
 ██████▄████                   ██████▄███
  ██████▄████                 ▄█████████
   ██████▄████              ▄██████████
    ██████▄█████▄▄▄▄▄     ▄████████▀
     ██████▄████████████▄████████▀█▀██▀
      ██████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀█▀██▀
       ██████████████████████▀█▀█▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
                      ▀██▀▀
─────────────────
Revolutionized.  ──

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ █████████████▀█████ ██
██ ███ ▀█████▀      ▀█ ██
██ ███     ▀▀      ▐██ ██
██ ███▌            ███ ██
██ ████▌          ▄███ ██
██ ██████       ▄█████ ██
██ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ ████████████▀▀▀████ ██
██ ████████▀▀     ████ ██
██ █████▀    ▄▀  ▐████ ██
██ ██▀     ▄▀    ▐████ ██
██ ████▄▄ █▀     █████ ██
██ ██████ ▄▄█   ▐█████ ██
██ ████████████ ██████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.WHITEPAPER.
ANN Thread
Reddit

█████
██
██ █
██ █
██ █
   █

─────────────  Join
SMARC token ICO

█████
   ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █
Herodes (OP)

Activity: 868

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 04:46:09 AM

the american government has signalized ... Who signaled and what did they signal?

There was no citation. No details are known, unless some contact them and ask.

Thanks for all the insightful comments, some very entertaining too! Smiley
mollison

Activity: 157

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 05:03:42 AM

There was no citation. No details are known, unless some contact them and ask.

Any volunteers?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: