Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:06:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lloyds Bank Account Forcibly Closed  (Read 13672 times)
mintymark (OP)

Activity: 286
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 04:45:55 PM
Last edit: April 23, 2014, 07:14:27 PM by mintymark

I have been a Lloyds bank customer since around 1978. Last week I received the following letter from my bank:

There were similar letters for my other 2 Lloyds bank accounts.  The first account I use as my personal bank account, the second is a joint account with my wife, and the third I use for Bitcoin trading through Bittylicious.  This account has been open about 4 months. Its had quite a bit of money go through it but in fact its the same money going round in circles, and I make a small percentage on what goes through.

A visit to the bank elicited only one more piece of information – they would not tell me why they had done this, under their T&C they are entitled to do this without explanation.

This is quite a serious issue for me – my Bittylicious trades can switch banks just like that but I really would like to keep my own bank account, and my wife is livid and does not understand at all.  I think the mistake I have made here is using a personal account to run a business through, although such a thing is not (at all) illegal, banks apparently do not like it. I imagined they would tell me that the account needed to be upgraded to a business account if it did, but I had no other communication from them.  But I dont know what the problem here is, if its Bitcoin related, or not. I could add that the accounts have always been “well run” overdraft limits have been respected etc.  I feel like I am in a Kafka novel, accused but no-one will tell me what I am accused of, and noway for me to even verify if I did do what I am being accused of, because I don't even know what it is!

I'd like to open a dialog, but at the moment they are not talking. Any advice would be appreciated.  

[[ All Tips gratefully received!!  ]]
15ta5d1N8mKkgC47SRWmnZABEFyP55RrqD

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
meanig

Activity: 531
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 05:00:49 PM

It's a shitty situation to be in. I doubt they'll have any dialogue with you now that they've made their decision to close the accounts. It's better if you put your energy into opening new ones.

And next time don't have your Bitcoin trading account and personal account with the same bank.
desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 05:13:06 PM

How many times and how long have you been overdrawn?

I think the mistake I have made here is using a personal account to run a business through, although such a thing is not (at all) illegal, banks apparently do not like it.

This alone is a good reason to close your account.
Massimo80

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 05:41:31 PM

I don't know your situation, but the letter states quite clearly that your account balance is overdrawn; this is usually a perfectly good reason for a bank to close an account and require immediate repayment of the existing debt.

As it seems, this is the reason your bank is closing your accounts; not your use of them for trading.
mintymark (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 07:10:41 PM

Just for the avoidance of doubt, the overdrawn balance is within the allowed amount.  The allowed overdraft is higher than this. The other two accounts are in credit. No account has been over any overdraft limit. If this was the problem, they could just change the overdraft limit!!

Test User

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

Miner and technician

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 11:20:07 PM

A bank is permitted to close your account at any time, for any or no reason. It isn't good customer service to do so, but it is their right to choose who they do business with.

They do appear to have treated you fairly by giving you 2 months to find another bank.

I would suggest that you ask them for a specific reason; and in particular which clause of the terms and conditions, they are invoking to close the account. I would recommend that you do that as a formal written complaint to their complaints department, sent by recorded delivery.

If they still won't give you a reason for closing the account, escalate the complaint to the financial ombudsman service. In practice, the ombudsman will only intervene if the bank have treated you unfairly (e.g. closed the account immediately, without giving you time to change payments over, etc.), but you may be able to at least get a reason.

Bear in mind that if the bank is concerned over money laundering e.g. through bittylicious, then they are legally obliged NOT to tell you under any circumstances. If the bank is being evasive and refusing to answer questions, or they seem to be making up false reasons, then this can suggest that they suspect money laundering.

Donations welcome - BTC: 1f52PwRLHkN4w5uBY6EccKiDYqpLkh13y     DOGE: DCg65AKPG76X5LEtWCqfyRj4a6apYRHR8j
Trust: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=432215.0
Elizann

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 11:30:37 PM

Banks can open or close accounts as they wish. However I think maybe basic account is gotta be provided. As to trading bitcoins, next time write to bank first to see what their policy like Smiley Or figure out how to restructure the transactions Smiley
5flags

Activity: 224

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 07:11:11 AM

I bank with Lloyds, and trade on LocalBitcoins.

I've not had any serious problems with them. They froze an account once when a fraudster bought BTC from me using a stolen bank account, but that's about it. I used to regularly get calls from the branch when I had large sums going in to my account (which were often hundreds of thousands per month) - I even went into the branch to explain what I was doing so they didn't have to call me any more. They never seemed to have a problem.

I don't know how Bittylicious works, is it a similar way?

Have you considered going to the Financial Services Ombudsman?

http://5fla.gs - @5flags on Twitter
mintymark (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 07:39:56 AM

I am waiting for the Lloyds complaint procedure to see if that produces anything and then will go to the Financial Ombudsman. My situation sounds very similar to you 5flags. A question: is your Lloyds account abusiness or personal one. So far as I imagine, this is in fact the issue.

5flags

Activity: 224

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2014, 09:28:04 AM

I am waiting for the Lloyds complaint procedure to see if that produces anything and then will go to the Financial Ombudsman. My situation sounds very similar to you 5flags. A question: is your Lloyds account abusiness or personal one. So far as I imagine, this is in fact the issue.

Personal.

Even when I had money paid fraudulently into my account, they just made me close it and reopen it with a new account number for "security".

http://5fla.gs - @5flags on Twitter
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 01:58:49 AM

Bear in mind that if the bank is concerned over money laundering e.g. through bittylicious, then they are legally obliged NOT to tell you under any circumstances. If the bank is being evasive and refusing to answer questions, or they seem to be making up false reasons, then this can suggest that they suspect money laundering.

I have not read the law in Britain, but in Canada it is only illegal to mention the reporting to FINTRAC if it is likely to impede an investigation. I reported myself to FINTRAC after unsuccessfully trying to open an account (so that disclosing reports would not hinder an investigation). The manager at the Financial Institution still insisted no report was sent.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
dwma

Activity: 405
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 10:37:57 AM

It really truly sucks being broke like that, but I've been broke numerous times in life but I don't recall ever having an overdrawn bank account.  While I see nothing morally wrong with it, I do question why you are making a thread with a baiting title.  It hurts any other point you may have when you have overdrawn your account.  There is simply no way for us to make any sort of judgement on the matter.
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 10:42:03 AM

i would assume you need a business account to run a bitcoin trading operation?  and they wont give anyone a business account for bitcoin in the UK to my knowledge.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 02:25:42 PM

See if you can get more information from the bank and come back here if you can and let us know what they say.
mintymark (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 07:38:06 PM

Well after several interviews with different bank managers which felt increasingly like Kafkas "The Trial" (You are accused but we will not tell you what you are accused of or what the consequences will be.) I discovered that I had the right to appeal which I did. The rules of the appeal process, I was told (again, nothing in writing!!)  was that I must take printed documents (no computer records allowed) to my account opening branch in Reading, and show these to the manager there. This I did, returning with further details on a second day. She cross checked a couple of random points from my 100 pages or so of data and then sent it of to the "Closures Committee" in Birmingham.  The decision that came back was that they would not right now close my accounts, so I won the appeal. Even so they were not planning on communicating this to me in writing. The accounts will be reviewed in 3 months time when it can all kick off again, without the right for appeal that time.

There is much that I could say here that seems odd to me. For example at one stage a statement was made much along the lines of "Lloyds bank wants to be a domestic bank, not an international bank"  This seems extraordinary to me when surely if Lloyds is to survive it should be a bank that does what its customers want.  They suggested that HSBC might be better for the type of thing I was doing. Now that, although an informal and off the cuff suggestion, is an interesting one, If you believe the advertising of HSBC then they are the bank that would know and adapt to local conditions.

Another strange comment that was made was that the decision (to close my accounts) was being taken for purely commercial reasons. Now I have always paid all my bank charges. Every day I have made an overseas transfer I have paid the amount they asked me to pay (Usually £17.50) I have also suffered terribly because of Lloyds lousy exchange rates on SEPA transfers. In other words they have set the price of the services they offer and I have chosen to use them, how can they then say that they want to close my account for commercial reasons, it seems like that cannot be true.  If they (for example) lost money on overseas transfers then they should charge me more, but that's their problem not mine!!

Its clear that so far as Lloyds is concerned, a business account is what I need, and would have avoided much of this. But most businesses would have been happy to offer advice about which product their customers should be using but Lloyds it seems do not offer this type of advice. 

I will most likely keep my Lloyds accounts for the moment while opening a new account with a more sympathetic bank. I think with at least one potential bank, perhaps HSBC I shall actually tell them that this is going to be part of what I do and see what they say.

Its been an interesting experience, and at times very frightening, because nobody is telling you what the implications are, but it seems that I could and still can just transfer to another bank so perhaps the answer is that the only implication to be drawn from this is that as a Bank Lloyds are still in the 18th century, after all they have not even understood email or mobile phones or customer use of computers in a way that anyone would regard as sane. What chance do they have with crypto currency?  Hell they missed a fantastic opportunity with paypal (as did all uk banks) to "be" paypal.

Satan666

Activity: 123

The love of fiat is the root of all good

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 09:27:52 PM

Turn your back on Bitcoin, pledge your allegiance to fiat, and you will be forgiven.
Jcw188

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Carpe Diem

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 03:44:49 AM

That stinks man. I hate how these banks can do whatever they want. They act like its a real wonderful thing that they let you do business with them. Sometimes I wish I could survive with all Cash.

████▄██████████▄
███▄████████████
▄███▀
████
████
████
▀███▄
███▀████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██████████▄
████████████
███████████▀███▄
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
▀███▄███████████
████████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██▄█████████▄██▄
▀████▄█████▄████▀
▀████▄▄████▀
███████████
▄███▀█████▀███▄
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
▀███████████████▀

▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
████▀███▀██████▀
███████▄█████▀
████▄▄██████████▄
▀▀██████▀███████
▄██████▄███▄████
█████▀██████████
▀██▀███▀████████▀

████▄███████████
████████████████
▄███▀███████████
███████████████
██████████████
████████████████
███████████▄███▀
████████████
▀██████████▀
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████
|
Listed
on
BINANCE
KUCOIN
Gate.io
|
davidgdg

Activity: 551

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 09:48:50 AM

It really truly sucks being broke like that, but I've been broke numerous times in life but I don't recall ever having an overdrawn bank account.  While I see nothing morally wrong with it, I do question why you are making a thread with a baiting title.  It hurts any other point you may have when you have overdrawn your account.  There is simply no way for us to make any sort of judgement on the matter.

What on earth are you talking about? The OP has already made it clear that the overdraft has nothing to do with it (o/d within authorised limit). Banks don't close accounts because they are overdrawn. They make money off them.

"There is only one thing that is seriously morally wrong with the world, and that is politics. By 'politics' I mean all that, and only what, involves the State." Jan Lester "Escape from Leviathan"
davidgdg

Activity: 551

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 09:52:17 AM

Well after several interviews with different bank managers which felt increasingly like Kafkas "The Trial" (You are accused but we will not tell you what you are accused of or what the consequences will be.) I discovered that I had the right to appeal which I did. The rules of the appeal process, I was told (again, nothing in writing!!)  was that I must take printed documents (no computer records allowed) to my account opening branch in Reading, and show these to the manager there. This I did, returning with further details on a second day. She cross checked a couple of random points from my 100 pages or so of data and then sent it of to the "Closures Committee" in Birmingham.  The decision that came back was that they would not right now close my accounts, so I won the appeal. Even so they were not planning on communicating this to me in writing. The accounts will be reviewed in 3 months time when it can all kick off again, without the right for appeal that time.

There is much that I could say here that seems odd to me. For example at one stage a statement was made much along the lines of "Lloyds bank wants to be a domestic bank, not an international bank"  This seems extraordinary to me when surely if Lloyds is to survive it should be a bank that does what its customers want.  They suggested that HSBC might be better for the type of thing I was doing. Now that, although an informal and off the cuff suggestion, is an interesting one, If you believe the advertising of HSBC then they are the bank that would know and adapt to local conditions.

Another strange comment that was made was that the decision (to close my accounts) was being taken for purely commercial reasons. Now I have always paid all my bank charges. Every day I have made an overseas transfer I have paid the amount they asked me to pay (Usually £17.50) I have also suffered terribly because of Lloyds lousy exchange rates on SEPA transfers. In other words they have set the price of the services they offer and I have chosen to use them, how can they then say that they want to close my account for commercial reasons, it seems like that cannot be true.  If they (for example) lost money on overseas transfers then they should charge me more, but that's their problem not mine!!

Its clear that so far as Lloyds is concerned, a business account is what I need, and would have avoided much of this. But most businesses would have been happy to offer advice about which product their customers should be using but Lloyds it seems do not offer this type of advice. 

I will most likely keep my Lloyds accounts for the moment while opening a new account with a more sympathetic bank. I think with at least one potential bank, perhaps HSBC I shall actually tell them that this is going to be part of what I do and see what they say.

Its been an interesting experience, and at times very frightening, because nobody is telling you what the implications are, but it seems that I could and still can just transfer to another bank so perhaps the answer is that the only implication to be drawn from this is that as a Bank Lloyds are still in the 18th century, after all they have not even understood email or mobile phones or customer use of computers in a way that anyone would regard as sane. What chance do they have with crypto currency?  Hell they missed a fantastic opportunity with paypal (as did all uk banks) to "be" paypal.

This is an excellent example of what happens when industries are heavily regulated. It becomes difficult or impossible for start-ups to enter the field. The industry eventually becomes cartelised between a small number of large companies. Competition disappears and ultimately the consumers suffers.

"There is only one thing that is seriously morally wrong with the world, and that is politics. By 'politics' I mean all that, and only what, involves the State." Jan Lester "Escape from Leviathan"
atc1

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 09:59:16 AM

This is an excellent example of what happens when industries are heavily regulated. It becomes difficult or impossible for start-ups to enter the field. The industry eventually becomes cartelised between a small number of large companies. Competition disappears and ultimately the consumers suffers.
Indeed. The US has only four parent banking companies and we all saw how that worked out a few years ago. There were over 30 individual banks in the 70's.

So,can you switch to a business account or are you closing that particular account?

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: