Bitcoin Forum
November 27, 2021, 06:40:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 22.0 [Torrent]
 
  Home Help Search Login Register More  
  Show Posts
Pages: [1]
1  Economy / Economics / 80 richest people on the planet have the same wealth as the poorest 50% on: January 19, 2015, 12:53:46 PM
Make of this what you will.

• By 2016, the top 1% of the world’s population will have more wealth than the other 99%
• 80 richest people on the planet have the same wealth as the poorest 50% (3.5 billion)
• The poorest 80% own just 5.5% of the world's wealth
• The richest 80 doubled their worth in cash terms between 2009 and 2014
• More than a third of the 1,645 billionaires listed by Forbes inherited some or all of their riches
• Britain’s 100 richest had the same wealth as 30% of UK households
• The financial sector contributed $571 million to various campaigns during 2012 U.S. presidential elections
• In 2013, financial and insurance lobbies gave $550 million to policymakers in Washington and Brussels

ps: Before anyone blindly starts proselytizing about Bitoin, keep in mind the same pattern has/is emerging in crypto as well.
Less it be forgotten, the top 100 addresses own 20% (2,875,298 BTCs) of all BTCs mined thus far (13,736,250, as of block #339,450).
2  Other / Meta / Suggestion on: October 16, 2014, 09:24:01 PM
In the coolest and most awesome forum in the known universe, Red and White Kop (RAWK), there's a thread called Some quality/important posts you may have missed. Started by a mod five years ago (yes, royhendo's mustache is real), the thread has proven to be an exceptionally useful one for many members. With literally thousands of new posts being made daily, it is easy to miss out on some truly great ones. The thread collates worthy posts so as many people as possible may get to read them.

I think a similar thread would be useful here. There are gems that disappear under an avalanche of pointless one-liners. Perhaps a mod can start and manage such a thread in a couple of sections (the Alt section could really use one). Owing to the commercial nature of this forum, posters obviously can't be allowed to post in the thread - only mods and admins should be authorized to do so. The objective should always be quality, as opposed to quantity.
3  Other / Meta / Petition to introduce minimum activity count for ANN thread starters on: July 12, 2014, 04:39:03 AM
In recent months (years?), we have been bombarded with an uneding series of coins from fresh, brand new alt accounts. In the past month alone, I've lost count at the number of 'anon' coins released with accompanying kiddie whitepapers. That, by itself,  is not the problem.

The problem lies in how this anonymity allows a 'dev' to easily create multiple accounts to release multiple coins designed exlusively for exchange pump and dumps and IPO scams.

By enacting a minimum activity count requirement for ANN thread starters, say, 100 activity, these 'devs' will have to invest time in the forum before being able to launch their coins.

Some would argue that people can still nurture alt accounts to fulfill the 100 activity requirement, or even just purchase accounts.
However, the post history behind these accounts will still be valuable for forum participants to judge the merits of the claims made by individual developers.
An account that spent 3 weeks collecting giveaways before suddenly announcing the launch of a fancy new coin will hardly be taken seriously, right?

Some would even argue that scams, P&D and fake IPOs can be perpetrated by established members. Sure, but they can only do it once using that account.

The mods of this forum are known for their grinding, bureacratic anti-change policy.
But if enough people lend their support to this proposal, I believe they might just eventually be sufficiently motivated to make this change.

Unless there is some really, really, super good reason that I cannot possibly imagine, there is absolutely no logical reason why we should continue to allow coins to be released by zero-post alt accounts.

What say you?
Pages: [1]
Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!