Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:17:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Buy a small power plant to just mine?  (Read 2299 times)
Pokerrock (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 11:50:33 PM

Would buying a small power plant be very profitable just to mine for bitcoin?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 01:08:17 AM

Not near enough information to know. You would need a business plan.  Things to know such as price of the plant, and price of electricity it's producing.

Most "power plants" are out of reach on price to buy.  It chances are is cheaper to find cheap electricity and build data center there.
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 7950

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 01:19:32 AM

Is it a nuclear power plant?  If it is, then no because you would be required to maintain a fund for the eventual decommissioning of the plant at the end of its useful life.
Jamphone

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 03:31:21 PM

I don't see anything wrong with this plan. Presuming you either own an oil refinery or the rights to dam a large river.

On another note, no, you will only lose money. Solar panels and wind power are far too expensive to set up.

http://itsalwayssunny.wikia.com/wiki/The_Gang_Solves_the_Gas_Crisis
ShetKid

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 05:33:07 PM

You will need to provide many more details. From the sound of it, it appears that you are asking a mining operation at large, for that the answer is no. There is also the halving which is predicted to come next year, and will cause you to be on loss too
cooldgamer
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

We are the champions of the night

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2015, 07:52:37 PM

It would cost a TON to get something like that set up, and mining isn't even really profitable right now.  If you want to try a large scale farm, the most cost efficient way is to rent out a industrial building with a lot of power capacity, or potentially work out a deal with a local datacenter.  

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 08:14:57 PM

It would cost a TON to get something like that set up, and mining isn't even really profitable right now.  If you want to try a large scale farm, the most cost efficient way is to rent out a industrial building with a lot of power capacity, or potentially work out a deal with a local datacenter.  

I would agree it's hard to justify solar/fans even.  I cannot imagine any "power plant" that you can justify buying.

And if you have that much capital to start you can pretty much research low electricity and start up there for your data center.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 08:24:03 PM

not worth it at all, with the current price situation, you need a big farm to gain something worth it, better to buy bitcoin and trading them if you are good at it

shorting seems a good strategy right now
stonerider

Activity: 224

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 10:07:45 PM

I believe the emphasis should be on the word "small". Then the answer is Yes. With a small nuclear reactor, you could put it to mining bitcoins, what could go wrong???
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 10:10:21 PM

I don't see anything wrong with this plan. Presuming you either own an oil refinery or the rights to dam a large river.

On another note, no, you will only lose money. Solar panels and wind power are far too expensive to set up.

For many uses, solar panels are dramatically cheaper than they used to be, but I'm not an expert on large scale projects.

Jamphone

Activity: 125

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 11:36:16 PM

For many uses, solar panels are dramatically cheaper than they used to be, but I'm not an expert on large scale projects.

Add in the battery bank so that you could mine for the other half a day its dark, and there is 0% chance you hit ROI
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 12:34:13 AM

Add in the battery bank so that you could mine for the other half a day its dark, and there is 0% chance you hit ROI

I would love to be wrong if anyone can show good solar for cheap.  I just personally have not seen it yet for me.  At decent priced electricity I cant make the solar choice yet.
Minerjoe

Activity: 406

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 09:32:10 PM

I would love to be wrong if anyone can show good solar for cheap.  I just personally have not seen it yet for me.  At decent priced electricity I cant make the solar choice yet.

Can solar really provide uninterrupted and sustainable power to be used for mining? How does it work during the nigh, there is a some kind of battery I assume?

Stratobitz
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 09:50:22 PM

Believe it or not this is what Alcoa does - the Aluminum manufacturer.

I had the privilege of spending a few days at their 50k Ton Press Facility and got to see them making parts for the F-15 Raptor Jet.

Impressive - they run their own (I think off memory) 25 MegaWatt Power Plant; and create their own Coke (Aluminum Product) - and all byproducts of the process are moved via huge conveyor belts elevated above the site to other areas of the plant where they are turned into all sorts of products that are then sold. Even the ash is moved offsite; churned into something else and sold.

But yea; they basically figured it was cheaper to own a plant than pay for AC - and they sell to the grid whatever they dont use themselves.

Strato
MegaFall

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 09:48:12 AM

Add in the 50% government subsidy.
Snipe85

Activity: 756

Infleum

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 08:41:33 PM

Can solar really provide uninterrupted and sustainable power to be used for mining? How does it work during the nigh, there is a some kind of battery I assume?

If you really want to learn there's a ton of pdfs about solar panels you can find online.
Basically the panels are giving you power during the day and charging batteries that are used at night. There's an automatic switch that chooses between the sources and makes you draw power from the batteries not only at night, but also when you're using more than the panels can provide.
Here's an example of such power bank with a controller.

tonygal

Activity: 560
Merit: 504

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 09:10:30 PM

My opinion: I agree that under almost all situations the answer is no. However, if you were for
example in a middle eastern country or venezuela, where you can get oil almost for free, and if
you didnt care about the environment, you could go for a small oil power plant.

As far as I know, energy from oil scales down well. For example, you can get a small petrol generator
for 250 $ but there is no nuclear plant for home use  Wink So for well below 1 million you can get
something decent built up, especially if it doesnt have to last for decades. You can't beat the
production cost of the professional plants, but you should get below
the market price. This is of course no real economical benefit, it just follows from
oil being too cheap and electricity being too expensive (relatively seen) in most of
the mentioned countries (I didn't check for all, but for Saudi arabia it is the case).
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 01:20:22 AM

I am surprised this thread keeps going on.  If you have the amount of money to buy a power plant, you have enough money to build pretty much anywhere. 

This means you can follow cheap electricity.   And if big enough possibly get special rates in certain places.   You in 99 percent of cases would be better off with just paying a low electricity rate.    If you own a electric plant think of extra costs.  You need workers paying salary and wadges.  There is just a lot of extra cost's that I don't think will equal the benefit of owning it.
mrhelpful
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 07:13:23 PM

small power plant? I dont think theres such thing as a "small" power plant.

Its all usually bigger like a commercial estate level, which is run by entities tie within government contracts. Eventually you would need roof top solar panels, and things that take over that can off set the electricity usage.
Snipe85

Activity: 756

Infleum

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 05:37:20 PM

small power plant? I dont think theres such thing as a "small" power plant.

Its all usually bigger like a commercial estate level, which is run by entities tie within government contracts. Eventually you would need roof top solar panels, and things that take over that can off set the electricity usage.

Oh there is. Small water generators are quite popular in some parts of the world. Here's one in Switzerland to prove the point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WShtAn5_EY
They also have a lot of these small things in Scotland. The downside is they are producing <5kW so there's no way to sustain a large mining operation with that.

crazyivan
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007

DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 05:52:56 PM

This must be a troll thread, pls close this one down. Small power plan costs a lot of money and people who have this kind of money do not ask these stupid questions.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: