Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:57:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 5830 x 4 Mining Rig, When to call it quits?  (Read 9294 times)
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 11:52:26 AM

Keep in mind that 5830's (or any other card) tend to crap out once you hit 84 degrees C if they're overclocked.

I find the results individual. Some chips are so strong they should've been binned for the highest series 5900-dual gpus, and some crap out even at 75c and a mild overclock.

Have a 5770 which was running at 105c (thermal threshold) for 10 hours at 980mhz, the fan had been blocked by a PSU cable.

Nothing happened and it still works to this day. & That was in late 2010.

In my personal exp., only radeon 6990 is universally comfortable with 90c+ temps 24/7 without locking up.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Desolator

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 04:39:31 AM

Keep in mind one factor that I don't see anyone mentioning.  It's a hell of lot easier for the price of bitcoins to triple than it is for triple the number of people to mine coins.  So between oh yay, the price went up and oh crap more people are mining, which is more likely to happen?  Your decision should be based at least 90% of the price of bitcoins in USD at the time.

Btw since about 5 years ago, I've been using my PC to heat my room overnight in the winter cuz I have 2 outward facing walls so it gets down to like 58F normally Tongue but I usually ran something stupid overnight like a movie on a loop or virus scan.  My old PC put out a lot of heat at idle too rofl.
BitCointransfers (OP)

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 12:16:28 PM

Hey Rob, did you receive your new side panel yet with the  built in fans, how are your card temps?
Rob P.

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2011, 05:58:29 PM

Hey Rob, did you receive your new side panel yet with the  built in fans, how are your card temps?

I did.  THanks for asking!

I love the panel and I attached 4 x Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE" 120mm fans to it.

I also reversed the front 200mm fan so it was exhausting out of the case.

At first I had the side panel with the 4x120mm fans exhausting out of the case.  However, at that point I had 2x200mm fans (one on top and one on front) and the 4x120mm fans all exhausting.  The only intake fans were the 120mm in the back and the cards themselves (and I assume the PSU).  The temps still rose to > 80C on two of the cards and I decided to reverse the 4x120mm fans on the side panel to be intakes. 

That made almost no different, maybe 1C or so, but the two "problem" cards would still run in excess of 80C. 

I had the case standing upright, and the worst card was of course in the Device 0 slot at the top, so I decided to lay the case on its side.  Still no change.

The only thing I haven't tried is reversing the side panel again to be exhaust, while it's laying on its side. 

I'm at a loss at this point, and just removed the 4th card.  With the 4th card removed and 1 PCI slot between each of the cards, I can run them at 70% fan, with the side panel fans at 50% and the cards all stay right at 70C. 

At this point, I'm suspecting that the cards are touching and the fans aren't running.  It's the only explanation I can come up with, but I would think that would cause a lot of noise.

I'm open to suggestions.

--

If you like what I've written here, consider tipping the messenger:
1GZu4CtHa6ai8iWoWiVFxV5VVoNte4SkoG

If you don't like what I've written, send me a Tip and I'll stop talking.
Blackout

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2011, 11:29:16 PM

Hey guys...

I have three 5830s running in a antec 1200 case  on a evga s58 sli mobo.

Since I can't fit another card in the case the way the mobo is set up.... what is the currently cheapest
way to run 4 5830s or 5850s ceaseless..... I'm thinking of doing on in the garage with a boxfan on it....
figured go with the sempron chip.. but do I really need a $200 mobo everyone has been saying this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130274

Isn't there a mobo at under $100 that could do the job?  Also can someone explain pci extenders and link to a good source for them?

What would it cost at current prices to build the cheapest mining rig.  I would be running win 7 64 bit ultimate
because I don't really know the linux Ubuntu  world.

http://blackout.com
Insane writings for an Outsane world: http://blackoutsblog.com

Blackout Radio on android or iphone DL TuneIn APP & search for Blackout Radio http://tunein.com/tuner/?StationId=136506

https://secure.btcontilt.com/register.php?referred=Blackout (BTC Poker)
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: