Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:35:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Satoshi number  (Read 1042 times)
Taras (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1053

Please do not PM me loan requests!

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2015, 11:58:41 PM

I'm assuming a lot of us know about what the Erdős number and Bacon number systems are. For those of you that don't, here's how it goes.

The Erdős number describes the "collaborative distance" between mathematician Paul Erdős and another person, as measured by authorship of mathematical papers. To be assigned an Erdős number, someone must be a coauthor of a research paper with another person who has a finite Erdős number. Paul Erdős has an Erdős number of zero. Anybody else's Erdős number is k + 1 where k is the lowest Erdős number of any coauthor.

Paul Erdős
András Sárközy
Albert Einstein

Albert Einstein has an Erdős number of 2, because he collaborated with someone that collaborated with Erdős.

The same principle is applied to Bacon numbers, but instead of collaborations, you're appearing in movies.

Kevin Bacon
Edward Asner
Elvis Presley

Erdős numbers are usually around 6. Distinguished mathematicians are closer to 0, and a number higher than 10 is extremely rare.

I figured this idea would be fun if applied to Satoshi. Satoshi would have a Satoshi number of 0, and anyone who sent a message to and received a response from Satoshi would have a Satoshi number of 1. If you communicate with someone that has a Satoshi number of 4, yours will be no higher than 5.

Satoshi Nakamoto
Gavin Andresen
Luke Dashjr
ME!

Here's an example. Satoshi and Andresen collaborated on Sourceforge, Andresen and Luke-jr collaborated on Github, and Luke-jr and I patrol the wiki.

Upon further evaluation, I've realized that (as of rather recently) this chain is also accurate:

Satoshi Nakamoto
Theymos
ME AGAIN!

So how fun! I've gotten a Satoshi number of 2. Technically anyone who replies to this thread and gets a response from me will automatically have a Satoshi number of no more than 3.

As Satoshi is now gone, it's impossible to get a Satoshi number of 1 now. This may change if he decides to come back. Also, if Satoshi is actually multiple people, then they get a Satoshi number of 0, as they are Satoshi. Smiley

I did some digging:

Satoshi Nakamoto
Hal Finney
Phil Zimmerman
Steve Wozniak
Bill Gates
Barack Obama

Thanks Obama. Sad

I dare you guys to try to find your Satoshi numbers! Or maybe find someone with a very high one, like 7!
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 12:01:15 AM

I dare say this is pretty pointless.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
Taras (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2015, 12:02:17 AM

I dare say this is pretty pointless.
I don't know what I was expecting.
JJ12880

Activity: 671
Merit: 501

Blockchain and stuff

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 12:03:46 AM

Well, its interesting, lol I guess? haha thought, I think to do it correctly, you would have had to receive bitcoins from satoshi? 

Radium  Bringing Advanced Utility to the Blockchain!
BTC Thread | Telegram
Taras (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2015, 12:06:51 AM

Well, its interesting, lol I guess? haha thought, I think to do it correctly, you would have had to receive bitcoins from satoshi? 
Sure, but we don't have very many transfers linked to Satoshi. I don't know of many, at least.

If anything I think better criteria would be actual collaboration rather than mere discussion. The chains in the OP would probably still be accurate.
JJ12880

Activity: 671

Blockchain and stuff

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 12:10:46 AM

Yea, or there should be more criteria than just a few posts. if that was the case, anybody could have a 2 or 3 easy

Radium  Bringing Advanced Utility to the Blockchain!
BTC Thread | Telegram
drrussellshane

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 01:25:14 AM

My Bacon number is 4, and my Satoshi number is lower!

So I'm not Kevin Bacon, but I may be Satoshi.

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
bitkilo
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1010

https://www.bitcoin.com/

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2015, 03:13:37 AM

If theymo has a Satoshi numer of 1 because of direct comunication wih him and theymos answered one of my post in the past, what Satoshi number would i have, 2?
If you in turn reply to my post would that not change my Satoshi number again?

R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 03:19:02 AM

If theymo has a Satoshi numer of 1 because of direct comunication wih him and theymos answered one of my post in the past, what Satoshi number would i have, 2?
If you in turn reply to my post would that not change my Satoshi number again?

For this number, your nearest relationship with Satoshi is the one that counts. If you're already 2, then you remain 2 until you get 1 (by talking to Satoshi by yourself).

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
juju

Activity: 381
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 05:19:06 AM

-snip-

Can't really speak to collaboration, second one is more funny:

Adam Back has answered a few questions of mine in the past.
One day in SF, I was dining upscale Chinese and in walks Gavin + a few guys working on the Lightning Network.
futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 05:24:22 AM

considering both I and satoshi has posted on this forum, I would say I have a satoshi number of 1.
R2D221

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 06:16:11 AM

considering both I and satoshi has posted on this forum, I would say I have a satoshi number of 1.

Has Satoshi replied to you?

Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2198

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2015, 06:31:18 AM

My Satoshi number is 2. I wish I had a 1. Tongue

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
Armis

Activity: 588

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 06:40:49 AM

I'm assuming a lot of us know about what the Erdős number and Bacon number systems are. For those of you that don't, here's how it goes.

The Erdős number describes the "collaborative distance" between mathematician Paul Erdős and another person, as measured by authorship of mathematical papers. To be assigned an Erdős number, someone must be a coauthor of a research paper with another person who has a finite Erdős number. Paul Erdős has an Erdős number of zero. Anybody else's Erdős number is k + 1 where k is the lowest Erdős number of any coauthor.

Paul Erdős
András Sárközy
Albert Einstein

Albert Einstein has an Erdős number of 2, because he collaborated with someone that collaborated with Erdős.

The same principle is applied to Bacon numbers, but instead of collaborations, you're appearing in movies.

Kevin Bacon
Edward Asner
Elvis Presley

Erdős numbers are usually around 6. Distinguished mathematicians are closer to 0, and a number higher than 10 is extremely rare.

I figured this idea would be fun if applied to Satoshi. Satoshi would have a Satoshi number of 0, and anyone who sent a message to and received a response from Satoshi would have a Satoshi number of 1. If you communicate with someone that has a Satoshi number of 4, yours will be no higher than 5.

Satoshi Nakamoto
Gavin Andresen
Luke Dashjr
ME!

Here's an example. Satoshi and Andresen collaborated on Sourceforge, Andresen and Luke-jr collaborated on Github, and Luke-jr and I patrol the wiki.

Upon further evaluation, I've realized that (as of rather recently) this chain is also accurate:

Satoshi Nakamoto
Theymos
ME AGAIN!

So how fun! I've gotten a Satoshi number of 2. Technically anyone who replies to this thread and gets a response from me will automatically have a Satoshi number of no more than 3.

As Satoshi is now gone, it's impossible to get a Satoshi number of 1 now. This may change if he decides to come back. Also, if Satoshi is actually multiple people, then they get a Satoshi number of 0, as they are Satoshi. Smiley

I did some digging:

Satoshi Nakamoto
Hal Finney
Phil Zimmerman
Steve Wozniak
Bill Gates
Barack Obama

Thanks Obama. Sad

I dare you guys to try to find your Satoshi numbers! Or maybe find someone with a very high one, like 7!

I think you are conflating 'collaborative distance' (Erdős number or Kevin Bacon number) with 'degrees of separation'.   Clearly the 6 degrees of separation thing proves that we are all connected, however to what extent are we professional connected in a meaningful way to some industry icon?

Selection of Satoshi is weak for a number of reasons; you want to pick a person that has done lots of projects (erdos did very many projects) in their field the word "prolific" must be fitting; not someone that has done a single or hand full of projects then called it a day.  Ideally, you want someone that did lots of varying kinds of projects, all over the world with all different people over decades, such that they actually shaped the industry on both macro and micro levels; this is why Bacon is fitting for his industry.  

Nevertheless the connection can't be casual, or incidental it must be meaningful and documented.  Just because Satoshi paid his light bill doesn't connect him to the utility company in terms of collaborative distance, additionally consultation is not collaboration, and 'dedication to' doesn't mean 'partnership with'.  

Find someone that has his hands in a whole bunch of progressively meaningful projects, the twins, and roger ver, come to mind because I've read lots of stories where their names constantly pop up.  Andres is everywhere but I got the distinct impression that he purposefully stays away from connecting with projects in a meaningful way to keep his name clear of all of the scheming wackos.  

So my question is, who in the community is a partner in the most CC industry projects?  Of that group how many of the projects vary in category?  How successful are the projects?   How diverse are the partnerships?   etc ...  

Eastfist

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2015, 08:58:15 AM

Satoshi 0
Gavin 1
Andreas 1
Garzik 1
Hal 1
Matonis 1
Peter Todd 2, after Garzik
Theymos 2, after Garzik
Max Keiser 2
etc etc
futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 09:41:41 AM

Who knows. For all I know, satoshi is my father. Or cousin. Or... well, you get the point. So I'm going to be optimistic and tentatively put myself at a satoshi number of 1 Cheesy
R2D221

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 01:10:13 PM

Who knows. For all I know, satoshi is my father. Or cousin. Or... well, you get the point. So I'm going to be optimistic and tentatively put myself at a satoshi number of 1 Cheesy

That's not the way it works.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: