Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 03:29:22 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for PoW recommendations.  (Read 2536 times)
smolen

Activity: 524
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 03:25:49 PM

It might work on a quad channel lga 2011... I think you would exceed bandwidth here under normal circumstances. If I am wrong it is because I'm stupid.
No idea how multiple memory buses are handled by OSes and how to explicitly balance a load between it, so far no coin developer rolled out such task Wink

Of course I gave you bad advice. Good one is way out of your price range.
Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 04:14:52 PM

Draft idea: two values that differ only in one bit will be separated by Hamming distance of 1. Miner could backet hashes by Hamming weight, possibly discarding hashes with low and high weight, then generate Bloom filter for even backets and perform search for odd ones in two neighbor (even, +-1) backets.

Aaaand, props to smolen for coming up with the idea that would in fact put that task in reach of a regular GPU. 

If you start with an exemplar given string of bits, make a hash table, and then every time you have a collision you evict whichever one is furthest in Hamming distance from your example string, then after a while you will collect a bunch of strings clustered very closely in Hamming space and stop updating your table very often - erasing the memory contention constraint and allowing all those parallel processors to hunt, without even needing to consult the table, for strings within a given Hamming distance of the original example.  And when they find one, they light it up; the table of things clustered in Hamming space around that original example string will yield dozens, or even hundreds, of near-triplets that include the new string.

With the parallelism and memory bandwidth advantages, they'd rapidly reach a state where they're able to find near-triplets very efficiently indeed. 

If you do the same trick with the 64G memory structure, you'll be able to collect a much larger Hamming radius and light it up with a much greater fraction of new inputs, but you can't parallelize the search to more than the 8 cores or whatever on your CPU and, because the searching threads don't even need to consult the table if they're looking for things within a small Hamming radius of an example, the GPU can.

So now I get to try to come up with some weird variation on the Cuckoo cycle. 
smolen

Activity: 524
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 07:51:10 PM

Scientific calculations, floating point and limited range search just cry to be combined. May be there are real-world problems of some value for science or business that can be turned into good PoW? Protein folding (by undisclosed algorithm) is not PoW; searching for prime number sequences has more value in software developed than in calculations done, what else could be used?

Of course I gave you bad advice. Good one is way out of your price range.
djm34
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 01:35:59 AM
Last edit: April 03, 2015, 01:46:35 AM by djm34

Scientific calculations, floating point and limited range search just cry to be combined. May be there are real-world problems of some value for science or business that can be turned into good PoW? Protein folding (by undisclosed algorithm) is not PoW; searching for prime number sequences has more value in software developed than in calculations done, what else could be used?
Feynman diagrams... (well  Grin from my point of view a little less stupid than prime numbers, but not necessary by far though...)

ps: a miner is just a big basic Monte Carlo generator, so any kind of simulation could be used... but it is unclear to me if there is a benefit for crypto or for science (who already has at its disposal such tool...).

The problem in implementing other stuff than cryptographic functions, mean it is breakable and it is possible to cheat by using such or such approximation (the danger in using floating point calculation and complex mathematical formula)

djm34 facebook page
BTC: 1NENYmxwZGHsKFmyjTc5WferTn5VTFb7Ze
Pledge for neoscrypt ccminer to that address: 16UoC4DmTz2pvhFvcfTQrzkPTrXkWijzXw
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: