Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 07:05:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin mining guide I've spent quite some time writing  (Read 1951 times)
busterroni (OP)

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 06:44:46 PM

Hey guys, I've spend quite some time working on a Bitcoin mining guide that provides a broad overview and explanation of Bitcoin mining while still explaining it simply enough for the average person to understand what it is. I'd appreciate it if you check it out!

http://bitcoin-tutorials.com/guides/bitcoin-mining-guide
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jamie_Boulder

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2015, 07:04:39 PM

Wrong section.

All mining discussion goes here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=14.0

busterroni (OP)

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 07:36:56 PM

Wrong section.

All mining discussion goes here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=14.0
I apologize, moved.
ikydesu

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2015, 07:38:09 PM

Nice tutorial i think, just add logo and banner Smiley
I suggest add review page, which review some mining hardware or cloud mining.

~iki
busterroni (OP)

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 07:43:55 PM

Nice tutorial i think, just add logo and banner Smiley
I suggest add review page, which review some mining hardware or cloud mining.

~iki
That might be part of the site in the future, but for now we're just focusing on guides and tutorials. Thanks for the feedback Smiley
valkir
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 08:31:27 PM

Really really good job. Would you mine if I translate it to french for my own use ?  Smiley

Thanks

██     Please support sidehack with his new miner project Send to :

1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
busterroni (OP)

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 08:51:36 PM

Really really good job. Would you mine if I translate it to french for my own use ?  Smiley

Thanks
Feel free Smiley Can you share it with me when you're done?
valkir
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 08:52:26 PM

I will for sure. Thanks you  Grin

██     Please support sidehack with his new miner project Send to :

1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2015, 12:42:25 AM

Pretty well-written article.  I'd change the last sentence of your first paragraph to not reference any specific number of coins received, because that number changes (as you point out later).
The first one to solve the problem receives bitcoins for his work.

ROI, while very much discussed, really has nothing to do with mining.  Sure, we'd all like to make a good return on our investment, but the fact is that our profit or loss is not a part of the mining process.

Your definition of Hash is confusing.  The hash is not the number of calculations a miner runs through in a second.  That would be h/s, or kh/s, or th/s, etc, and you do a fine job of explaining those.  Your second sentence is a better explanation of what a hash is.  I'd just write that as
A hash is a possible solution for a block.

Your definition of ASIC states, "In general, an ASIC is an electronic chip designed for a specific use."  It's not "in general" at all, it's exactly what it is.  Ditch the "in general" lead in of that sentence.

When you're defining a block, you state, "see above" for the definition of the block chain, when in reality, you explain block chain below Smiley.

A bit later you state this:
As explained above, a block contains all of the Bitcoin transactions sent during the time before the block is found.
That's not true.  A block may contain all of those transactions, some of those transactions, or it may contain none of them at all.

I'm being a bit picky here, but you state that the blocks prevent double spending and attacks on the network.  Well... the transactions included in blocks that are on the accepted block chain prevent the double spends because they show the sender no longer has ownership of the coins.  I'm also not really sure how a block prevents an attack on the network.  I'm more inclined to accept that the sheer size of the network and the difficulty in controlling over 50% of it is what prevents an attack.  Maybe you're thinking about some other kind of attack here?

When explaining mining specifics you mention the fee of 0.0001BTC.  You might want to include that the fee is for every kb of data in your transaction.  For example, somebody sending 1BTC as a single input would only have to include that 0.0001BTC; however, somebody sending that same 1BTC with 1000 inputs would likely have to pay a higher fee.

A miner is not necessarily generating millions of hashes a second.  Just state that the miner is generating hashes per second... or since earlier you stated the most common measure of hashing power is GH/s, you could state that a typical hardware miner is generating billions of hashes per second.

Please don't tell people to try and find ways to take advantage of things like utilities included in rent.  Sure, if you plug a smaller miner like a U3 into the wall and run it, it might not make much of a difference at 63 watts of consumption.  However, you start plugging in multiple miners drawing kW of power, that's akin to stealing.  Somebody's going to notice your electricity usage is way above what is considered normal and fair.  There's no such thing as free electricity.  Somebody's paying for it.

The mining calculators typically either don't account for changes in difficulty, or only allow you to enter a static value (like 5% increase).  You do a good job explaining that just because a calculator says you're going to earn X, you're probably not going to make X.

I like the little walk through time you've got at the end Smiley

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
Minerjoe

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 02:56:21 PM

A very nice reading. Good work.

busterroni (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 07:49:57 PM

[feedback...]
Thanks for the detailed feedback. I'm currently making a revised version and I'll address some of your comments in it. Thanks again!

A very nice reading. Good work.
Thanks Smiley
stupididiot

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 08:03:37 PM

#excellent

10/10 for a newbie to understand. impressive.
Script

Activity: 263
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 10:19:35 PM

Nice tutorial, thanks!

It makes it really easy to understand.

❰❰❰ GREENPAPER █████   TERRAGREEN   █████  ANN THREAD ❱❱❱
●●● ▬▬ Facebook  ❰❰❰  Blockchain Based Renewable Energy Platform  ❱❱❱  LinkedIn ▬▬ ●●●
Telegram Twitter    ICO Website    Reddit    Medium
CryptoCanary
Legendary

Activity: 1076
Merit: 1006

Canary in the crypto mine!

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 10:32:17 PM

Nice work!  Smiley

A10010

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 11:20:20 PM

Thanks for taking the time, it's really good.
busterroni (OP)

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 06:05:13 AM

#excellent

10/10 for a newbie to understand. impressive.
Nice tutorial, thanks!

It makes it really easy to understand.
Nice work!  Smiley
Thanks for taking the time, it's really good.
Thank you all Smiley
Reynaldo
Legendary

Activity: 1143
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 04:11:42 PM

Really good read will spread the word to the newbies that I encounter on my daily basis. If you keep making more, let us know.
busterroni (OP)

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 09:04:48 PM

Really good read will spread the word to the newbies that I encounter on my daily basis. If you keep making more, let us know.
Will do, thank you for the support.
Jybrael

Activity: 294

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 11:16:40 PM

Really nice guide. Was very easy to understand...I have had a lot of questions when it came to mining and this helped me answer a lot of those.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: