Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:34:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "HYIP" subforum  (Read 2146 times)
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 01:07:32 AM

Thread Translation: Bitcoin needs a credit rating agency. Maybe even an SEC or a FinCEN of its own. Roll Eyes

Nothing wrong with self regulation the problem begins with "regulatory capture"   Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Shadow383

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 01:07:45 AM

As far as I know, currently HYIPs end up in the gambling subforum.  There is some cross-over between securities and high-yield deposits, and there is a growing database of information related to "credit ratings" for product issuers.  One of the additions to that system is business transparency, and I have been considering making a rating a requirement to be listed in the WPW thread to help separate some of the more reliable operators from some less reliable ones.

I'm not quite sure why gene is convinced everything is a scam, and it is pretty obvious that many are not.  However, having been effectively labelled a scammer by gene I presume anything I contribute he will dismiss without reason.

I think it's fairly obvious that many of the deposit schemes on here are legit - I wouldn't have a deposit with you if I thought you were going to disappear  Wink
It's also pretty obvious that some of them aren't.

I like the idea of having ratings to separate out the lending offers, but obviously it needs to be transparent.

Personally the criteria I use when making BTC deposits are:

-Is publicly identifiable (is it known who this person really is?)
-Clear evidence of ongoing business.
-Viable balance sheet.

The way I'd do it is to, say, cap ratings for lenders that aren't identifiable at something like B-, then base the rest on balance sheet etc.

The other potential issue is conflict of interest.
If lenders are paying for these ratings there is that potential, but I think if balance sheets and such are made public then it's not such a big issue for now. Bitcoin accounts are normally pretty easy to understand, it's not like real-world finance where half the derivatives contracts are just intentionally as convoluted as possible...
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 01:08:32 AM

As far as I know, currently HYIPs end up in the gambling subforum.  There is some cross-over between securities and high-yield deposits, and there is a growing database of information related to "credit ratings" for product issuers.  One of the additions to that system is business transparency, and I have been considering making a rating a requirement to be listed in the WPW thread to help separate some of the more reliable operators from some less reliable ones.

I'm not quite sure why gene is convinced everything is a scam, and it is pretty obvious that many are not.  However, having been effectively labelled a scammer by gene I presume anything I contribute he will dismiss without reason.

I was wondering what sort of credit rating pirate would get  Smiley

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 01:09:37 AM

As far as I know, currently HYIPs end up in the gambling subforum.  There is some cross-over between securities and high-yield deposits, and there is a growing database of information related to "credit ratings" for product issuers.  One of the additions to that system is business transparency, and I have been considering making a rating a requirement to be listed in the WPW thread to help separate some of the more reliable operators from some less reliable ones.

I'm not quite sure why gene is convinced everything is a scam, and it is pretty obvious that many are not.  However, having been effectively labelled a scammer by gene I presume anything I contribute he will dismiss without reason.

Im was wondering what sort of credit rating pirate would get  Smiley

Depends on who's doing it and how much they're getting paid.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 01:12:50 AM

You could say the same thing about arbitration and escrow.

Shadow383

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 01:14:58 AM

You could say the same thing about arbitration and escrow.

Yup  Cheesy
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 01:51:49 AM

If lenders are paying for these ratings there is that potential, but I think if balance sheets and such are made public then it's not such a big issue for now. Bitcoin accounts are normally pretty easy to understand, it's not like real-world finance where half the derivatives contracts are just intentionally as convoluted as possible...

Lenders don't pay and I don't get anything (other than a bit of grief) doing them.  There is some conflict because I am also in the deposit taking space.
Also, some people value their privacy and that is why I looked at publishing ratios so the underlying values would not need to be published.

I did some mock numbers of that for fun (although I have invited him to provide numbers).  It came out as "BBB" scoring low on liability to asset ratios and transparency.  However, scores well on income, size of business and time in business.
Shadow383

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 02:10:35 AM

Lenders don't pay and I don't get anything (other than a bit of grief) doing them.  There is some conflict because I am also in the deposit taking space.
Also, some people value their privacy and that is why I looked at publishing ratios so the underlying values would not need to be published.

I did some mock numbers of that for fun (although I have invited him to provide numbers).  It came out as "BBB" scoring low on liability to asset ratios and transparency.  However, scores well on income, size of business and time in business.
We have numbers for his income?
Also full credit to your efforts in trying to make the system a little more transparent  Smiley
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 02:40:44 AM

I said "mock" numbers - I did an estimate.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: