Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:13:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it worth to mine with my old computer  (Read 6024 times)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 06:05:46 AM

it may be possible to hit a block(with a very low hash) now that the diff isn't rising too much, but don't expect the same thing if the price was climbing without rest

so hironically solo mining can have a point when bitcoin remain stable, still it's better to mine altcoin with the same hash, mre profit is awaiting you
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
altcoinhosting

Activity: 896
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 06:07:14 AM

it may be possible to hit a block(with a very low hash) now that the diff isn't rising too much, but don't expect the same thing if the price was climbing without rest

so hironically solo mining can have a point when bitcoin remain stable, still it's better to mine altcoin with the same hash, mre profit is awaiting you

I'm in the process of trying that out (mining altcoin with my U2's), i'll give a detailed analysis in a couple of weeks Smiley

ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 07:11:51 AM

People claim altcoins are more profitable, but it's because they leave out a major calculation: how much of those alts they could buy using Bitcoin.

For example, you can mine 0.01 BTC per day with your current rig. You can mine 10k of a coin that's worth 0.5 bits, but you theorize that they will be worth 2 bits next week (and very well might be). Your mining is now a choice of:

1) Mining 10k of that coin
or
2) Mining Bitcoin, converting to that alt, and having 20k of them

Now, when the value jumps from 0.5 bits to 2 bits next week, it's a matter of:

1) Having 0.02 BTC
or
2) Having 0.04 BTC

The second scenario, while it sounds like less in the beginning, just netted you a 100% higher return than if you had mined the alts.

This has been true with every single altcoin over the past 2 years that I've followed them. I haven't found a single altcoin that was better off being mined instead of doing Bitcoin and just converting. Far too many people aren't paying attention to the economics, despite how basic the concept is.

That said, everyone's free to do what they want. If people want to continue devaluing themselves, that's their own choice. I can only educate people so much.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 09:04:50 PM

I have a computer which will not used, however, it is about 4-5 years old already,
is it worth to use it to mine BTC?

If yes, how much will I expect to get in 1 month Huh

Not only it is not worth but is impossible to mine bitcoins with a computer. It is impossible to mine with a new computer. To not speak here for a old one.

It's NOT impossible. Even when we were to where it was "impossible" to GPU mine, someone hit TWO blocks with a USB miner. It's basically just the lottery. Claiming it's impossible is naive. Are you likely to? No. But if you feel lucky, go for it.

Yes it is a lottery, but chances are horrible. If you think you can hit chances like that, than you are better off playing a real lottery and if you win, you will win much more than hitting a block or two in Bitcoin. Lol
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 09:14:58 PM

I have a computer which will not used, however, it is about 4-5 years old already,

Not only it is not worth but is impossible to mine bitcoins with a computer. It is impossible to mine with a new computer. To not speak here for a old one.

It's NOT impossible. Even when we were to where it was "impossible" to GPU mine, someone hit TWO blocks with a USB miner. It's basically just the lottery. Claiming it's impossible is naive. Are you likely to? No. But if you feel lucky, go for it.

Yes it is a lottery, but chances are horrible. If you think you can hit chances like that, than you are better off playing a real lottery and if you win, you will win much more than hitting a block or two in Bitcoin. Lol

It also depends on hashrate.  I know there was a group on the forums that was renting large hash rates.   They did multiple runs, and I believe in the end had a positive amount.  Which is part luck of the pool they used when solo mining.

So it can be done but yes with a usb stick miner or two it is horrible odds.

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 09:18:58 PM

It also depends on hashrate.  I know there was a group on the forums that was renting large hash rates.   They did multiple runs, and I believe in the end had a positive amount.  Which is part luck of the pool they used when solo mining.

I think you could probably run a Pi and a couple USB miners off a small solar panel. If so, you could be essentially getting free lottery tickets, and if you don't win, you didn't really lose anything. I'm wondering if a small panel could sustain that, though. May be worth doing just for the lulz.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 06:33:26 AM

this was a good strategy with various altcoin, many were renting an enormous amount of hash back than from betahash miningrig ecc... and pointing everything at every new altcoin, then dump fast, it's go without saying that a thing like this did not last so long...

but it was very profitable risk were minimal, occasionally dev screw the launch and you lose quite a good amount, from 0.1 to 1 btc
egytrickz

Activity: 144
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 09:27:35 AM

if you mine BTC with a computer like that most likely you will earn just a few satoshis per day or less. Maybe mining a new alt-currency and waiting for it to grow in price if it had potential might be a good option IMO.

Somekindabitcoin

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 09:32:56 AM

No, I'm 100% sure it won't make you any money, and even if you have free electricity it will took ages to mine some normal amounts of BTC. But if your processor is good enough, you can try to mine some new and low difficulty coins, just watch altcoin announcements, I'm sure you will find something for you Smiley
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 09:55:34 AM

if you mine BTC with a computer like that most likely you will earn just a few satoshis per day or less. Maybe mining a new alt-currency and waiting for it to grow in price if it had potential might be a good option IMO.

Read this post for why mining an altcoin instead of straight BTC is almost always a bad idea.

Somekindabitcoin

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 09:58:44 AM

Read this post for why mining an altcoin instead of straight BTC is almost always a bad idea.

It might be true, yes, but he has a really old computer and he won't mine anything. If he has a good processor he can mine some alts with CPU, but you can't mine BTC with CPU so that's the problem.. Smiley
scumbag

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

★Support For PHILIPPINES Sub Forum★

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 10:05:21 AM

I tried to back read and look for the specs of the "old" computer that the OP is saying and cant find any or maybe i'm blind

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: