Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:15:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012-08-13 slashdot.org - Hacked BitCoin Exchange Sued By Customers  (Read 1473 times)
julz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 12:19:04 AM

Hacked BitCoin Exchange Sued By Customers

2012-08-13

http://news.slashdot.org/story/12/08/13/236252/hacked-bitcoin-exchange-sued-by-customers

"Bitcoinica, an exchange for the BitCoin virtual currency, is being sued by former customers, after it was hacked. Thieves stole around $180,000 worth of BitCoins in two attacks. The site is now closed, and customers are suing to get their money back."

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 02:24:34 AM

Yet another article based on the same inaccurate Verge report.  Doesn't anyone actually research their stories these days?  Even the BBC didn't bother to fact check the ArsTechnica or Verge report before they picked up the story.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 02:26:00 AM

Yet another article based on the same inaccurate Verge report.  Doesn't anyone actually research their stories these days?  Even the BBC didn't bother to fact check the ArsTechnica or Verge report before they picked up the story.
Bitcoinica is legally an exchange because the lawsuit defined it as such.
Peter Todd
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1149

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 02:37:01 AM

Unfortunately filing a lawsuit saying you want money back from a bucket shop you were gambling at tends not to go all that well...

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 02:38:26 AM

Unfortunately filing a lawsuit saying you want money back from a bucket shop you were gambling at tends not to go all that well...
Bitcoinica offered straight exchange services in addition to interest on deposits and margin trading.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Peter Todd
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 03:11:09 AM

Bitcoinica offered straight exchange services in addition to interest on deposits and margin trading.

They did? I remember that while you could buy or sell US dollars there, you couldn't actually use Bitcoinica to actually transfer those US dollars. Or did they change that after they were bought?

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 03:44:54 AM

They did? I remember that while you could buy or sell US dollars there, you couldn't actually use Bitcoinica to actually transfer those US dollars. Or did they change that after they were bought?
Yes, you could deposit USD with a wire transfer and withdraw as BTC after using the "exchange" tab at the top of the page. I'm not sure if the "old version" of the released source code would have that part in it though.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Peter Todd
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 03:56:06 AM

Yes, you could deposit USD with a wire transfer and withdraw as BTC after using the "exchange" tab at the top of the page. I'm not sure if the "old version" of the released source code would have that part in it though.

But you couldn't deposit BTC and withdraw USD? That is different than a pure bucket shop, but that doesn't sound that different... After all, the real issue with the bucket shop is that the actual trades, especially on margin, aren't actually going out to the market individually so the owners have an incentive to manipulate the market. Equally, the owners are in deep trouble if the market shifts suddenly. Only a genuine full exchange is going to prevent that.

Similarly, how could they possibly be truly offering margin credit without obtaining enough identifiable information on the investors to mitigate the credit risk and go after in-debt accounts?

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 03:57:55 AM

I'm not sure whether they allowed outgoing fiat transfers, but I'm pretty sure you could withdraw mtgox usd codes. It's been a while, as you can tell.

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 04:01:21 AM

Yet another article based on the same inaccurate Verge report.  Doesn't anyone actually research their stories these days?  Even the BBC didn't bother to fact check the ArsTechnica or Verge report before they picked up the story.

That wasn't one of the inaccuracies to which I was referring.  Even if it was, anyone can claim anything in a law suit (it claims Intersango is of unknown form which is utter bullshit - the Company House records have been linked here).  Whether or not Bitcoinica was actually operating as an exchange is something which will be determined by the court if it is relevant to the case.  While Zhou always claimed that users traded contracts for difference and not Bitcoins, that claim would be unlikely to withstand close scrutiny but I'm not sure that issue is even relevant to an action for contractual breach.

Sooner or later there's bound to be some kind of legal determination about the nature of Bitcoin exchanges.  MtGox is seeking licensing as a money service business in the US and if they're successful it's likely that other exchanges will regarded as such in the US.  Other jurisdictions may classify them differently.  PayPal is classified in different ways in different jurisdictions and the restrictions placed on its operations vary from one jurisdiction to the next.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
labestiol

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 08:37:30 AM

Similarly, how could they possibly be truly offering margin credit without obtaining enough identifiable information on the investors to mitigate the credit risk and go after in-debt accounts?

They were not allowing in-debt accounts, your positions were liquidated when your account reached zero.
And they were asking for identification, but i guess only for AML policies.

1BestioLC7YBVh8Q5LfH6RYURD6MrpP8y6
Peter Todd
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 08:41:20 AM

They were not allowing in-debt accounts, your positions were liquidated when your account reached zero.

But that's my point: bucket shops don't let their customers go ini debt, nor do they issue margin calls, because they want them to get wiped out.

labestiol

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 09:08:43 AM

But that's my point: bucket shops don't let their customers go ini debt, nor do they issue margin calls, because they want them to get wiped out.

I might be wrong, but to me a bucket shop is a place where you can do (margin) trading, but which has no link to a real market (ie they are only betting against their customers)

Sure some trading platforms are allowing to go in debt, but there is always a limit to it. And if the line is crossed, your positions will be liquidated.
So the only difference is the amount of debt allowed (in the case of bitcoinica it was zero).

btw, bitcoinica was issuing margin calls.

1BestioLC7YBVh8Q5LfH6RYURD6MrpP8y6
Peter Todd
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 09:36:08 AM

I might be wrong, but to me a bucket shop is a place where you can do (margin) trading, but which has no link to a real market (ie they are only betting against their customers)

Sure some trading platforms are allowing to go in debt, but there is always a limit to it. And if the line is crossed, your positions will be liquidated.
So the only difference is the amount of debt allowed (in the case of bitcoinica it was zero).

btw, bitcoinica was issuing margin calls.

Interesting, sounds like they cleaned up their act. I remember looking a it around February or so, and I remember seeing no way to get fiat in or out of the system, as well as everyone's suspicions that trade volume on mtgox just didn't account for bitcoinicas volume, even with combining orders.

Funny thing is, after seeing that they supported google auth codes, security was the one thing about them that didn't bother me...

lonelyminer (Peter Šurda)
Donator

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 09:55:27 AM

Interesting, sounds like they cleaned up their act. I remember looking a it around February or so, and I remember seeing no way to get fiat in or out of the system, as well as everyone's suspicions that trade volume on mtgox just didn't account for bitcoinicas volume, even with combining orders.
I might be wrong here, but if I remember correctly you could deposit/withdraw USD-denominated Mt. Gox codes since the beginning, and later BitInstant was integrated too. See http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2973313 which has posts dated beginning of September 2011 people talking about USD-denominated Gox codes on Bitcoinica.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: